2010 Menu Planning Challenge!
Page 1 of 34 123411 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile 2010 Menu Planning Challenge!

~I know many of you have mentioned in other threads that menu planning is an area you'd like to improve.
    Just a quick testimonial: I got disciplined in this area about 14 months ago through a grocery challenge thread and then through the 2009 Menu Planning Challenge thread. Over 2009 I'm very happy to say that I've been able to cut waste, shop less, spend less(about 10%) and have been less stressed!
    Making a plan is absolutely worth the 10-20 minutes a week it takes to do!
    General tips: I like to use a blank calendar printout to plan. http://www.printfree.com/Calendars.htm
    I only plan dinners. Breakfast and lunch are leftovers, baked goods and whatever I feel like fixing at the time.
    I also plan at least one day for leftovers. I often cook way too much so I need to plan to eat them up(and it's nice to have a night off from cooking!).
    And I follow a planning framework. My framework is:

Monday: white meat(poultry,pork, fish)
    Tuesday: soup or breakfast for dinner(depending on time of year)
    Wednesday:dark meat(beef and processed meats)
    Thursday: meatless
    Friday: homemade pizza
    Saturday:new or rarely used recipes
    Sunday: Leftovers, cook's night off

What are some of your tips and strategies for menu planning?

Oh, and be sure to subscribe to this thread after you've signed up! Click "Thread tools" above this post and then "Subscribe". You can check subscribed threads through your "User CP" above left in the blue bar.
    Can't wait to see everyone's menus!~
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I will join this challenge. This is an area I need work on!

BTW, thanks for reminding everyone how to subscribe to threads...I, Personally, sign up for stuff and forget.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Count me in!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

One thing that really helps me in this area is to include a column in my menu planner for activities. So I know that if we're going to be running around all day, I shouldn't plan a time consuming meal from scratch. Helps me so much!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been menu planning for about 3 years now and it would be hard not to have any plans to decide what to buy. I can't imagine doing that. I have a list of about 21 meals we enjoy. I use that and what I have on hand to plan meals for 1-2 weeks I can then make my shopping list for what I need. I tend to shop sales so I have things on hand to plan. I guess I plan from the pantry and not the flyers KWIM? I'm not afraid to change the plan within the week if something comes up. Ours tends to go something like this

One soup/bread, sandwich/fry dinner
    One chicken meal
    One ground meat meal (venison or beef)
    Italian or Mexican night
    Pizza or breadstick night
    Meatless night
    Leftovers, FFYS or Breakfast night

My meat meals are usually in a form that stretches the meal ie. stir fry, casserole, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not sure I want to do this but I do want to follow along and see how it works.

With planning how do you adjust to what you have to use up, what needs to come out of the freezer etc?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

About 18 months ago I got out of the menu planning habit. I am not sure why, it just happened. Need to do this starting after the holidays. It saved me money, time, and energy.
    Right now I cook out of my pantry for the most part, but I find that we eat the same things night after night, because I had not through ahead enough to buy the items needed for other meals.
    I am also working more now than I was a 2 couple of years ago. Menu planning will help me get rid of the question of what's for dinner tonight. It is amazing how stressful that question can be.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So in!!! I have been lazy about this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nodmicks View Post

With planning how do you adjust to what you have to use up, what needs to come out of the freezer etc?
    ~Some people plan meals and then make a shopping list. That's not how I plan/shop.
    When I shop I stock up on tons of loss leaders and great sales and then make plans from what I have in my pantry and freezer. Since I see my selection every week and have a month's calendar in front of me I can easily pencil in everything that needs to get used.
    If there's a meal I'm particularly craving but I'm missing an ingredient or two, I just have DH pick those up at Aldi on his way home from work.
    I plan a leftover day into my week and if there's still too much I bump another night's dinner for leftovers again or freeze the leftovers for a night I don't feel like cooking.
    Does that answer your question?~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll give this a try. I have never done this before, but I need to.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I also have a 'prep' column on my form. So if tomorrow is fried chicken, tonight's prep is 'take chicken out of freezer'.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Need to join to get back in control of our meals. Even though DH does most of the cooking, I know that htis will help us both - as well as our budget.

I absolutely hate not knowing what's happening for dinner - by planning ahead my life will definitely run smoother!! and with less stress!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Right now we do not have any kind of meal planning system. This is something that our family is in dire need of. I will participate with great enthusiasm. Can't wait to get great ideas on meals. We have a very limited meal selection right now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I so need this challenge. i've been horrible the last few months.

Will join in the fun! Our grocery budget needs a huge overhaul.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ok I want in! 2010 a new year and a new start to get my life and family organized and pulled together!

Page 1 of 34 123411 ... LastLast