2014 Try New Recipes Challenge
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Registered User AspiringToBeFrugal's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2014 Try New Recipes Challenge

I did pretty well this year at trying to include new recipes into my family's routine but I only did so occasionally. In 2014, my goal is to try one new recipe (at the minimum) each and every week. I got two new cookbooks for Christmas and I get no fewer than three cooking magazines every month, so I shouldn't lack for any sort of inspiration! Here's to the excitement of 52 new meals for my family! Cheers!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I probably won't do one a week but I do plan to try some new things anyway. I have the third, and I hope, final loaf of experimental muffin bread rising right now, so I hope the recipe is perfect so I can put it in my file as a completed recipe.

I just got a pasta maker with ravioli attachment and also a free-standing ravioli mold, so I plan to experiment with those quite a bit, too.

I'm still in search of the elusive perfect saltine cracker recipe, so the hunt continues.

Lots to do and try. It'll be a fun year. I'm in!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am in for 1 new recipe a week or every other week. Trying to find new things to eat is hard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can try one per month, is that ok. As time allows I will do more, but I do so much OAMC & with the two of us we get around 3 & sometimes 4 meals- so one new recipe per month will be best for us! Excited!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My goal is one new recipe per week,
    all from my SparkPeoplesss recipe book.
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019) (Will turn in today 1/3)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $900.00
    My savings: current bal. 10.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2020:
    # 1 New front porch
    Major declutter house
    Major declutter garage

2020 Stash Management
    2020 Frugal Challenge
    2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge
    2020 Meal Planning Challenge
    2020 Grocery Budget Challenge $250.00 monthly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
    I can try one per month, is that ok. As time allows I will do more, but I do so much OAMC & with the two of us we get around 3 & sometimes 4 meals- so one new recipe per month will be best for us! Excited!!
    You are welcome to do as much or as little as you want! Welcome to the challenge!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by dwallyfam View Post
    I am in for 1 new recipe a week or every other week. Trying to find new things to eat is hard.
    I know. I'm trying to find things that my picky DH and my super picky four year old will eat. Maybe this will expand he palates of both of them!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is going to be a lot of fun. I decided this year that I need to start utilizing my cookbooks more and start cooking through all of the recipes I've been tearing out of magazines. I used to love cooking but somewhere along the line it became a dreaded chore.

This week I'm going to try a new Hoppin' John recipe for New Year's Day. I bought some fresh black eyed peas the other day that has a recipe on the container.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Dh and I will have fun with this one. I need to start eating healthier homecooked options that don't involve high fat foods with limited red meat, cheese, eggs, butter. Also need to cut down on salt- will experiment with other spices and flavorings. I also crave concentrated sweets as my go to comfort food.
    I have a habit of not following recipes exactly, substituting ingredients I have on hand. Most of the time they turn out good.
    For example: for lunch today I was hungry for salmon patties and I had a can in the pantry. I also had several cans of tuna. I'm not a fan of tuna but I really like salmon so I experimented and added one can of tuna with the salmon. I used an opened bag of left over snack crackers instead of bread crumbs, chose to add a finely shredded carrot that needed to be used up, lemon juice in fridge, red pepper instead of black pepper to spice it up and hide the tuna flavor, and some italian seasonings. I could have just used egg white instead of whole egg to reduce cholesterol but didn't want to waste part of the egg. Made mixture into thin patties and seared them for 3 minutes on each side in small amount of canola oil (instead of vegetable oil). (Removed most of the oil with paper towels after cooking). They taste great with no dill sauce which typically would be served with them. I'm curious to see if dh or ds will recognize the tuna them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

my goal is one or two a month.
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For supper I used our new electric pressure cooker for the first time.
    I had made roast beef sandwiches Friday for a family Christmas, 1/2 of it was too dry and tough to use that day. I put that tough, dry meat in the pressure cooker with 1 cup of water, beef broth, and some peppers and onions from the freezer. 25 minutes later I have moist, tender beef! I can't eat it with my diet but the guys will! So happy it was not wasted.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would like to join in with one or two meals a month. We eat a lot of leftovers since Dh does most of the cooking now and he always makes enough to feed an army! I did already try a new recipe yesterday that is definitely a keeper.... Spirit Deer's English Muffin loaf....how easy and delicious!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made beef stew in mine. I overcooked it. I think that's why I don't use it very much. I can't judge the time very well. Oh, well, it tastes good anyway and it's not horrible. It was a nice hot meal on a cold night.

Registered User MakeADollarHollar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in for a few each month. We're always trying something new.

I was supposed to try a new one tonight using my new Griddler I got for Christmas but I'm also supposed to be on vacation, even if it's a working vacation. I had some connectivity issues the other day accessing one of our servers and couldn't print any of the reports I needed. Went in to the office today and of all the crazy things, one of my two printers wouldn't work either (I alternate between two depending on what reports I'm printing). A 2-3 hour jaunt in to the office turned in to almost all day affair and a massive headache after troubleshooting on my own for almost 2 hours then getting on with tech support for almost another hour. Did I mention I was supposed to be on vacation?! So, needless to say, I came home defiant not to do another stinkin' thing, lol!

Truth be told, for the challenge, I usually hit my stride for new recipes late February/early March as the Florida Spring fruits and veggies start coming in so I may be a little hit and miss for a while.

Having said that, I cooked my first ever Standing Rib Roast for Christmas Dinner. I used Paula Deen's cooking technique (rubbed it with McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning instead of her rub because I was looking for something with more zing to stand up to the Horseradish Sauce we wanted) but after spending $30 on a single piece of meat I trusted my meat thermometer more than her directions and it saved our dinner. We had a 4.5 roast and cooked at 375 for the one hour. After turning the oven off and leaving the door closed, within 45 minutes my roast had reached an internal temp of 131 which was pushing us out of our comfort zone for medium-rare beef and no where close to the 3 hours she recommended. We opened the oven door and just let the roast sit for a couple more hours. Pulled the roast out, turned the oven back on to 350 and when it came up to temperature reheated the roast while a side dish cooked for 25 minutes. Pulled both out at the same time, let the roast rest for about 20 minutes while I made gravy from the drippings and set up the meal. The most beautiful, perfect roast we've ever seen. A piece of meat like that would have cost us $30 a plate locally. Morale of the story…when cooking an expensive cut of meat…make sure to use a meat thermometer you trust. Polder Original Cooking All-In-One Timer/Thermometer : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried a new Chex mix recipe for tomorrow. I'm hoping it's better than the last one, which had way too many Chex in it.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast