2017 Try New Recipes Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finally thought of asking Cortana what to substitute for jicama, which I can't buy here. Don't know why it took me so long. I have several recipes I've wanted to try for a long time that call for jicama but could never figure out what to use instead. One suggestion is to try turnips, so I'm going to. I hope it works out.

I also asked what I could use instead of okra, and Cortana told me I could use green beans. Now I can make gumbos. Cortana said I might need to use thickener though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Tried another new WW recipe. It was okay. I would make it again. Sure am happy to have all those WW cookbooks.
    I need to get some WW cookbooks. Which ones are your favorites?
    I'll keep an eye out for a good deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use a lot of WW cookbooks. I buy most of them cheap at thrift stores. I don't buy any that are not published in this century, at the least. WW has vastly improved their recipes in the past ten years or so, and now focus more on not using fake foods, 'diet' foods, etc, and the newer cookbooks reflect the newer findings of healthy eating research. The newer cookbooks also focus a lot on whole foods and fresh foods. WW recipes are so good now, you would never know you were eating food for a weight loss program. I feed it to Husby all the time. For a long time I didn't tell him he was eating WW food because I knew he would object. When he found out, he had no basis for objecting since he had been eating it and liking it for so long! Too funny! The main thing to look for in their cookbooks is the focus on veggies and protein and less emphasis on carbs like pasta and potatoes. The science on what's most healthy has changed.

I do like a couple of older cookbooks though, Take Out Tonight and In One Pot. Both have lots of ethnic-based recipes and stuff I can make for the freezer.

I guess the main thing is to look through the books before you buy them, to see if the recipes sound good to you. Not much help, I know. Food preferences are so subjective. I really like the new Smart Points Cookbook my diet buddy sent me, and another one of my go-to's is The New Complete Cookbook by WW, or The New WW Complete Cookbook, or something like that. It's in a ring binder. I actually have two copies, an older one and a newer one, and the older one has a lot of recipes not in the newer one. That one is a big cookbook with all kinds of interesting things like oven-baked French fries and onion rings. I've made the FF but not the onion rings. The FF were very good with almost no oil.

You can also find WW recipes online. I don't know if you'd have access to the WW online cookbook if you're not a member, but lots of people post WW recipes on blogs and stuff. If you search you'll find tons of them.

The Philly Chicken Cheese Steaks were good last night, but a little bit bland. I'm sure it would break all kinds of cultural rules to add pickles and/or mustard, but next time I will. I figure the rules were broken the minute I made those with chicken anyway.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like okra and can't imagine how green beans would work in gumbo for example. Okra grew well for me last summer, I will plant more this year.

The bean soup was really disappointing. Way too watery and the beans took forever to cook. They weren't really done by 9pm but I turned the crock pot off and puree'd them anyway. Unfortunately there is a lot of it.

The salad dressing is good, will make that again. The pumpkin pie with coconut was also really good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a rice cooker cookbook last week, and then a couple days later bought a small six-cup rice cooker. I made a 'simple Indian rice' recipe from the book just to test the new/used cooker. It was only so-so. The seasonings were sesame oil, black mustard seeds (I used brown since that's what I had), and cumin seed, plus black pepper. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't very interesting either. I like the rice cooker a lot though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good idea SD. Please post suggestions for rice side recipes. Hubby buys those awful packaged ones and they are dreadful every single time. I experimented once with 5 spice powder rice and may work on improving that.

Should try a muffin recipe with wheat bran since I bought that a month ago. Also the buttermilk-oatmeal muffins again, I ate all the ones in the freezer.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tried this last night:

https://www.atkins.com/recipes/mexic...-chocolate/895

It came out well, but it is a recipe you need to adjust to taste. I thought 1t of cinnamon was too much, so we used 1/2 and even that was a little strong. DH didn't feel 1t of sucralose was sweet enough, and said next time he would use 2 cups cream instead of the water.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dlrcpa, I haven't tried this recipe yet, but I thought I'd post it in case you wanted to give it a try. It's for a rice cooker but you can make it in the microwave using the rice sensor setting, if your micro has that. Or cook it on the stove, of course.

Rice and Vermicelli Pilaf
    4 servings (uses 6-cup rice cooker)

1 T. butter
    1 T. olive oil or bacon drippings
    1 c. long grain white rice
    1/4 c. vermicelli broken into 1" pieces
    1 3/4 c. chicken or beef stock
    1 t. onion-flavored Mrs. Dash
    freshly ground black pepper
    Melt butter with olive oil, add rice and pasta. Cook, stirring few times, until pasta turns golden brown. Add stock and seasonings. Stir just to combine. Cover and complete cooking using rice cooker's regular cycle. The liquid should be absorbed and the pasta tender. Let rice steam fifteen minutes after cooker shuts off. Fluff rice and serve hot.

A tip with the recipe suggests not using too much pasta.

For my own purposes, I would cut the oil/fat way down, use water instead of stock, and experiment with different seasonings. I ran across a recipe this AM while I was sorting through recipes to pare them down that suggested Old Bay seasoning, among others I can't recall right now. I have a batch of Mexican rice in the cooker now to see if we like it. The seasonings include cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder. You could also use stuff like Hidden Valley dressing mix, onion soup mix, meat seasoning blends, etc. The sky's the limit!

If you try this recipe, please let us know how it turns out.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, and I have saved bacon grease in the fridge too. I wrote it down and posting in the recipe box. Thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let me know how it goes if you try the recipe.

I think stuff like meat rubs would work great for some flavorful seasoning. Some of that stuff is high in sodium and/or expensive, but there are tons of recipes online. I usually leave out most or all the salt when I make up seasoning recipes.

The Mexican rice turned out okay, but boring. Not a keeper, IOW.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made these the other day, definitely a keeper. Made with simple pantry ingredients, what's not to love?! The directions say to use a 9x9 pan and there is no way these would have turned out as good if I had done that. Reading the reviews many say to use a 9x13 and the person who submitted the recipe even commented that it's supposed to be made in a larger pan but the 'test' kitchen changed it because they thought they would be better.....

Snickerdoodle Blondie Bars Recipe | Taste of Home

On pinterest I have a board with pinned recipes that we did not like for one reason or another and on that board I have an almost exact recipe to this one. The only difference is the one we like has the addition of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter. You would think that wouldn't make that big of a difference but apparently it does.
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm afraid to even look. If I made them and liked them I'd just want more of them. Not good for me. They sound good though. I'd love the additional spices.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's a recipe from the Prudent Homemaker for Garlic Chicken Rice a homemade version of Rice a Roni. I have not made it yet but others have and most love it. It does make 10 servings so for me I would only make half.

SD, what was the mexican rice lacking? I have one I've been making for years and we think it's as good as what they serve in restaurants.

Garlic Chicken Rice

Serves 10
    2 cups long grain white rice
    2 cup angel hair pasta (vermicelli), broken into tiny pieces
    8 Tbsp butter
    10 cups water
    10 tsp Knorr Chicken Bullion powder
    4 tsp dried parsley flakes
    2 Tbsp onion powder
    2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and vermicelli. Stir regularly to make sure the rice and pasta don't burn. Cook until the pasta is light brown.

Add water and spices, stirring well.

Turn heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Once it boils, turn heat to low and cover pan with a lid. Cook 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed.
    Terry

Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made pumpkin muffins from my pumpkin cookbook last night. So-so. I substituted Sweet&Low for half the sugar and don't notice any difference so I'll keep doing that. LOVE pumpkins, cheap vegetable. Sometimes I fantasize about being the neighborhood pumpkin fairy, taking the pumpkins off the porches and leaving a dollar in their place....... they just get thrown away in the end. Confession - I got 2 from a dumpster in December along with some nice canvas storage containers. Cooked the pumpkins, used the storage containers.

The way I cook pumpkins in the microwave - wash & cut open, scoop out seeds. Cut into chunks (eights or sixteenths) to fit in a Corningware dutch oven type pot with lid. Add about 1" water. Microwave for 5 minutes, repeat until done when you can stick a fork easily through the skin (mine took about 18 minutes per pot). Cool and use a knife to cut away the peel. Puree in the food processor. Put puree in a sieve and let drain.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last night I made Maid-rite sandwiches, I don't remember where I got the recipe. Found out dh had something similar years ago and didn't care for them so I wasn't expecting much but he really liked these and even said I need to make them again.
    Terry

Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

at least 5 items a day