2017 Try New Recipes Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Terry, the Mexican rice was okay, just very bland. I'll find something I like sometime.

DLC, have you ever made pumpkin seeds to eat? I haven't done that in years. The kids loved them. You wash the gunk off them, soak them in salt water, then toast them in the oven. I don't recall the details now. EDIT: Oh, wow, I just did a quick search and found out there are TONS of ways to make them! Here's one search result in case anyone wants some ideas: Pumpkin Seed Recipes - Allrecipes.com

I've been doing a little bit of cooking lately. I made a marinated chicken recipe and a pasta salad recipe that Husby really liked and so did I. I think both would work for travel. I made another chili recipe, too, which was good. Hard to mess up chili. I'm not a huge fan of either tuna or celery, but I finally put the tuna salad recipe I've always made with no recipe down on paper and calculated the points, then served it to myself on celery sticks instead of putting the celery in the tuna salad and eating the whole works on bread. I like celery in things for the crunch, but not by itself. It was good though, and will work out nicely for travel food. I think I'll like it even for day trips because it'll be quick to prepare and give me a healthy lunch that's easy to eat in the truck or at a park or wherever we end up eating.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made chicken alfredo for the first time last night. It was so easy. I used this recipe:

Chicken Alfredo Recipe With Crispy Bacon - Food.com

I grilled the chicken and then cut it up. Made the sauce separately without salt (the parmesan is plenty salty) and stirred in the chicken and some sliced mushrooms. DH ate it all!
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm making this pumpkin and wheat bran muffin recipe this weekend. I will reduce the sugar a lot. Maybe add raisins.
    Pumpkin Bran Muffins Recipe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll just say the pumpkin bran muffins were good. I used sweet & low equiv to 1/4C and 1/4 C sugar (recipe called for 3/4C sugar). Did not add raisins. I'm going to make them again, may use applesauce this time because I froze all the leftover pumpkin.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Made a recipe I found on pinterest for a type of shrimp alfredo with LOTS of garlic. It was a bit too much even for this garlic loving mama. At first it was ok and I thought I would make again, then as the night went on I thought I would make again but change it here and there. By the next morning it went to my 'never make again' pile.
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I experimented with a Bisquick microwave pizza for lunch today. It was good! I'm going to rework it into a half batch. I ignored the instructions for it and made it directly on the glass plate that goes with the micro, and it worked great. One of the rules for camper food is that I have to be able to make it with the dishes already in the camper, because there isn't room for more dishes unless I get rid of some other stuff. I think a half batch of pizza will be a good size for the plate in the camper. There's at least one other pizza recipe in that cookbook and once I get the crust recipe perfected, I can make all kinds of different pizzas. There are some recipes for things like apple crisp and caramel rolls in the micro, so I'll need to work on those and see if I can get them cut down to very small batches, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I mixed up a half batch of Bisquick microwave biscuits, which made six using the same Corningware dish that I have in the camper. They're nothing to rave about but they're pretty good considering they came from the micro, and very simple. Husby likes them, but not the herb mix I put on them. That's an easy change. Six is a good amount for us, one for me, three for him, and one each for the doggies. Can't forget the doggies! I think they'd be good with a tablespoon or so of cheddar mixed in, too. Lots of possibilities. They'll be handy when we want something extra for a meal and don't have bread to spare.

Now I'm out of Bisquick so will have to mix up some more for further experimentation. I have two identical Bisquick cookbooks, the little skinny booklet kind, and one can stay in the house and one in the camper, so I can pack food in the house and know I have the full recipes in the camper ready to go, and the book will take almost no space. Love that, now I just need to utilize it more.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The microwave biscuits were horrible once they got cold. That's good to know too. The dogs thought they were fine cold though.

Today I made a seasoned catsup recipe that was on the back of the catsup bottle. It has catsup, Cajun seasoning, sweet pickle relish, and was supposed to have chipotle powder in it. I didn't have any chipotle, so I minced up some pickled peppers instead. I like this and look forward to trying it on fries, but I think it needs more Cajun seasoning or some Tabasco. It has good potential though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm trying out a new HM onion soup mix recipe that does not use bouillon. I sure hope it's good! I hate how salty bouillon is and the salt-free version is too expensive. The new mix smells really good, so I can't wait to see what it tastes like. It's cooking away on the roast I have in the Crock-Pot. I'll update later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

SD, how was it? I have a favorite recipe that calls for the granules and of course I can't find that stuff anywhere now.

Tried a new recipe last night, it is a definite keeper. This was the inspiration, I left out the broccoli and used cream of chicken soup instead of what was called for in the recipe.

Contest-Winning Broccoli Chicken Casserole Recipe | Taste of Home
    Terry

Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It was okay. I think I made a mistake trying it out in the Crock-Pot because the long cooking time always cooks out the flavor of seasonings. I need to try it in a potato-hotdish I used to make a lot and see how it goes. I also think it could use some more turmeric. At least I have a place to start. It's probably good I haven't used onion soup mix in about 25 years so the new recipe doesn't have to taste exactly the same.

Here's the recipe. Homemade Onion Soup Mix (with No MSG!) | Heavenly Homemakers

It looks like I didn't add enough, either. For some reason the notes I made when I copied the recipe said to use only one tablespoon. That didn't make sense at the time since it's supposed to equal a packet of the store mix, so that could be why it didn't add much flavor, too. I really want to make this recipe work though because I won't go back to buying the store stuff with its super-high salt content. I also like this recipe because I always have the ingredients to make it on hand.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a recipe I found for air fryers, for mini corn dogs. It has a recipe for the cornbread part, but a Jiffy mix would work just as well. The recipe called for cutting two hot dogs into four pieces each, then putting a piece into a muffin paper and adding about a tablespoon and a half of the cornbread batter over the hot dog piece. Then just bake at 360 for 6-10 minutes till golden brown. The recipe makes eight cups, but I don't know how that would work out for a Jiffy mix. It might need more hot dogs. It's an okay recipe. I'm not overly excited about it except Husby always wants to buy corn dogs which I think are full of too many bad things. If he likes this recipe, I'll be able to whip up a small batch for him for a couple meals at a time. The note on the recipe said the baked corn dogs can be frozen for three months or so, which would be handy.

I think when I try this again I'll squirt some mustard over the hot dog pieces before adding the corn bread batter. Some hot dog relish would be good baked into them, too. And/or cheese. I can see all sorts of possibilities.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tried 2 new recipes this past week, I will make both again. My dd raved about the pudding but I thought it was just ok. But after spending overnight in the fridge it was much better so the trick is to chill longer than the 4hrs recommended in the recipe. The burritos were wonderful which surprised me with so few ingredients.

Not Yo' Mama's Banana Pudding Recipe

Smothered Burritos Recipe | Taste of Home
    Terry

Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tried this: Pecan-Crusted Salmon Recipe | Taste of Home

We really liked the pecan crust on the salmon. The cucumber sauce was good, too, very nice against the fatty fish. However, the sauce and pecan crust did not go well together. Next time I'll do one or the other but not both.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Tried these last night: Savoury Table: Muy Bueno Spotlight #3: Vangie's Sopaipillas and a Giveaway They were good but not great. Didn't have a lot of flavor and didn't puff very well.

It's not my usual sopaipillas recipe, which uses yeast, however it was quick and satisfied a craving. If you've never made sopaipillas, this is an easy recipe to start with. It's basically fried biscuit dough.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast