2018 Try New Recipes Challenge
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2018 Try New Recipes Challenge

I'm aiming to try 52 new recipes in 2018. I hope most of these will become family favorites and will find a spot on our regular menu rotation. I'll post links to the recipes I try here if possible. I would love to see what your goals are. Are you aiming to try new recipes? Switch up some old family favorites? Start cooking more at home?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's my first new recipe for the year: https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...hicken-sliders

We really enjoyed it and it was a great change from your run-of-the-mill chicken sandwiches!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

! am in for 12 one each month.I have a lot of recipes i have never tried lot of them is for desserts but will try some main dishes to.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm basically obligated to try new recipes now, because of Husby's heart attack requiring greater diligence in avoiding bad stuff that encourages another heart attack, namely salt, sugar, cholesterol, and bad fats. I'm actively looking for new recipes for a variety of things, plus learning more about the Mediterranean way of eating, plus having bought several new American Heart Association cookbooks lately. I'm hoping cooking better foods for Husby will help me lose weight and do better, too. Luckily a lot of the new guidelines are things we've done for years already, so the adjustment to a new permanent eating plan is a lot less than it might have been.

Currently I'm working on finding different recipes for some of our food staples we've used for years, like a new non-fat biscuit master mix. I'll post if I find something good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would like to try at least 24 new recipes this year.
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

SD, saw this and thought of you: https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-seed-crackers

DH is looking at going back on low carb, so we are going to be trying some new snack recipes.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The recipe looks good but I'd have to find something to replace the coconut oil for something healthy.

I still haven't gotten to looking at the bag instructions. But the bread is having a nice sauna in the oven for it's final rise, so that will be done soon. We'll have the leftover shrimp and corn soup with garlic ciabatta bread for supper.

It's snowing like crazy here, but I don't think it's supposed to last very long.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a batch of these cookies using a 1930's recipe, still undecided if they will make a repeat performance. They have a cake-like texture and are ok if you like that type of cookie, I prefer chewy.

https://writes4food.com/2014/04/the-...tmeal-cookies/
    Terry

Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After years of procrastinating about it, I finally made olive loaf. It turned out good! Too salty but otherwise good. I'll be making it again since we've given up deli meats now.

This is the recipe except I used a pound of lean ground pork and a pound of lean ground turkey to make a half batch. The original recipe in the book is for three pounds of pork and two pounds of turkey, but I'm going to flip that when I make full batches.
    https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/m...ceon-meat.html

I used a food processor per the instructions, but I think in the future I'll use the KA mixer. It breaks ground meat down nicely so it's pretty fine, just using the regular beater. I used a half cup of stuffed green olives which was about the right amount for a half batch. The olives could be why the loaf turned out too salty.

I love it when I find a good new recipe, but I hate it when I've intended to make a recipe for years and never done it. I've wasted all this time!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Correction: The recipe I linked to above did call for beef, not turkey. I completely blanked that out when I looked at the recipe online but I did check with the cookbook later. I subbed turkey and plan to continue to do that.

I tried a piece of the olive loaf again this morning now that it's fully chilled, and it's still really good. I'm going to try making some other kind of sausage again soon. It's so dang easy! And by DIYing, we can avoid the nitrates and nitrites and all the additives nobody is supposed to eat as well as a lot of the fats and sodium.

I don't know that we'll be able to exactly duplicate store-bought lunch meats and deli meats, but if we can find HM varieties we like just as well, that's going to make it much easier to stick with our healthier eating plan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Going for two today -- Pepperoni Pizza Soup is in the crockpot now and I just fired the bread machine up for these https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/b...ne-recipe.html

Seemed like a perfect pairing on this cold snowy day. I'll report back if they were a success.
    Terry

Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The alleged salami tastes good but it's more like meatloaf. In fairness I did change the recipe quite a bit, so I'll have to try again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tasted the salami again. It's been aging in the fridge a couple days or so now. It does taste like salami, but it's too dry. I'm adding more fat to it and also will double the seasonings in it to see if that helps any.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by wunsagin View Post
    Going for two today -- Pepperoni Pizza Soup is in the crockpot now and I just fired the bread machine up for these https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/b...ne-recipe.html

Seemed like a perfect pairing on this cold snowy day. I'll report back if they were a success.
    The bread sticks, eh. Needs a bit of work but I think it's easier just to find another recipe.

The pizza soup was wonderful! I used tortellini and that was the only change I made. Can't wait to make it again.
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...oni-pizza-soup

Yesterday in a fb group I'm in someone posted the ingredients for a recipe they found of their g-grandmother's. It turned out to be this wonderful caramel type cake that I will definitely make again.
    Terry

Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

at least 5 items a day

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Crispy Baked Chicken Wings

https://thecookful.com/bake-chicken-wings-crispy/

I made these for a gathering with friends last night. They came out well and I would definitely do them again. Changed things slightly, I had 12 wings (24 pieces) slightly more than called for, and used twice the amount of salt (Seasoned Salt actually) and baking powder. They did not come out salty, surprisingly. I cut off extra skin and fat while preparing them, too. You'll want to turn these over about half way or one side will not get crispy. I put bbq sauce on mine.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast