2019 Try New Recipes Challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LOL! No, it's not your grandmother's polenta, but it is very very good. The chicken broth is great for flavor and the longer cook time makes it so smooth and creamy.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bet it could be made in a Crockpot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Found an old can of sauerkraut that needs to be used. So----chocolate cake of course....Friday so I can give some away to my brother too.
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...hocolate-cake/

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The sauerkraut cake isn't one I will repeat. I did not make the frosting, that might have helped but low on confectioner's sugar and it uses a lot of butter, so no. There is still leftover sauerkraut too. I may have to buy hot dogs this week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made applesauce muffins from a cooking magazine. The flavor was good but the color was not like the photos. Mine were pale yellow and there's was a brown.....Unless they used a cinnamon applesauce? I think I overbaked them as I was looking for a brown color. I'll try again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Lemon chicken is a favorite and I just can't seem to find a good recipe.

https://cafedelites.com/chinese-lemon-chicken/

Tried this. Tasted good. The marinade made the chicken nice and tender. It did not come out at all like it was shown in the photos. When I put the marinated chicken into the pan with the cornstarch there was no "massaging the cornstarch around the chicken". It turned to soup. So the batter was very thin, mostly ran off, and did not get crispy. The sauce was good. Could have used more lemon, IMO.

I made brown rice... and had to throw out a nearly new 2lb bag afterward. Never seen so many weevils in my life. I washed it really good because I didn't have any other choice for dinner, but I won't spend any time on the rest of it. Ugh.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a new recipe for salt free Montreal steak seasoning. I've been looking for the right one for years.
    https://pin.it/4diwuajzwmowgy
    I added rosemary to it and cut back on the red pepper flakes. Winner, winner, steaky dinner! 🙂🙂🙂🙂

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm attempting Giada's slow cooker Cioppino (seafood stew). I have the broth in the slow cooker now and it will cook on low all day before I add the seafood. I didn't have red pepper flakes and didn't use fennel. DH said I could use chili powder but I'm thinking old bay seasoning....I'll cook it without both of those for now but if it needs seasoning, I'll try old bay.

https://closeharbourseafood.com/proj...de-laurentiis/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What! No red pepper flakes? How do you survive? Since you are out there living on the edge with no red pepper flakes (the horror!) you can sub hot sauce. That can be added to individual servings if you don't want to put it in the entire batch. That way each person can choose the level of heat they like.

I finally made cowboy caviar. It's good! https://pin.it/jwwagz7ceas6yv
    Of course I made some changes, but since there's a lot of variations anyway, it's not like I violated some kind of sacred tradition. I also added 8 oz of diced ham so it's a complete meal, since I don't feel like cooking tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I am going to try this before the end of the summer. It looks like a slightly healthier version of corn casserole, with more veggies. https://www.plainchicken.com/2018/03...casserole.html

My original corn spoonbread is high in fat, carbs, and calories. I think I can leave out the mayo and cheese in this new recipe, too.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had some fresh peaches to use up, but I was all out of cake mix, my go-to for cobbler. So I tried this Jiffy Mix recipe. I made a slight variation, mixed half the sugar and the vanilla with the cut peaches. It came out ok. Didn't get baked in the middle. My peaches floated on the top, so the bottom half of the dish is soggy cake.

https://www.mycountrytable.com/easy-peach-cobbler/

The method is a bit unconventional but makes a nice crust. I used salted butter and you can tell. If I were to make this again I would cut the butter by 1/4 to 1/2. There are cold pools of butter in the dish, so I think the amount called for is too much. But it's likely I won't try this again.

We're going to salvage what we can for breakfast. No sense wasting the peaches.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I want to try this potato soup mix recipe out. If it's good it would be great to keep in a jar in the pantry.
    Last edited by dlrcpa; 08-03-2019 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spam attachment

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ugh, that paste did not work well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just gave this a try. They're good, but seem like a lot of work. I added southwest seasoning to half the batch which made them nice and spicy.
    https://pin.it/ppvwa5wo74wum6

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This was kind of an unusual pickle recipe, so I gave it a try.
    https://pin.it/3bkezb63dazjao
    The flavor isn't completely developed yet, but I tasted a slice and I think it's a keeper. I used ½ teaspoon of salt, but they are still low sodium and low sugar compared to something like bread and butter pickles, so it will be a good recipe for us healthwise. Very quick and simple to make because I heated the brine in a quart jar in the microwave, so almost no dirty dishes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast