2020 Try New Recipes Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This recipe uses one egg, no butter. https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/mo...les-recipe.htm You can leave out the coffee powder and pepper. I usually just skip the pepper for DH. The instant coffee gives a nice rich flavor without being too strongly coffee flavored. I use decaf to avoid caffeine.

I have some other frugal cookie recipes, since I like to make them at christmas, but don't want to use up several pounds of butter and an entire carton of eggs. I'll post what I can find.

Oh, another good one, crispy rice treats. I haven't seen people hoarding marshmallows, and the plain rice cereals are getting left behind on store shelves. The store brand in a bag works pretty well. Only minimal butter.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The pumpkin pie recipe is OK. I like my other/old recipe better. I can taste the condensed milk in this one. Need to boost the spices to cover it. However handy to have as from-the-pantry dessert.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The no-butter/no egg chocolate cake may get this frosting (half-batch seems like plenty.) Still have both light & dark Karo in the pantry for no particular reason....
    https://www.karosyrup.com/Recipe/Peanut_Butter_Frosting

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not really a new recipe, but I was experimenting with trying to make good stir fry without the usual array of tasty fresh veggies. It worked out nicely.

I sprouted my own mung bean seed for a few days, maybe a couple tablespoons. I grew them in an enamel coffee pot till they reached the top of the pot, so had about a qt.

I browned about 3/4 lb of cubed BSCB in oil and removed it from the pan. Added more oil and added the bean sprouts plus 4 oz canned mushrooms with liquid squeezed out, 1 drained can whole corn, maybe half cup frozen peas for some color. I forgot to slice an onion to crisp-fry, but it was still good. Add reserved chicken. I made a light sauce with 1/2 c water, 1 T cornstarch, soy sauce and sesame oil to taste, whisked together and poured over the food in the pan, whisking till it thickened. Served over brown rice with additional soy sauce and sesame oil if desired, and red pepper flakes to taste. Be careful not to overcook the bean sprouts. They should still be crunchy.

The bean sprouts were long, so I snipped them about 2" long with kitchen shears.

This made about six servings for us, so I won't have to cook two nights this week.

I actually browned 1.5 lbs of BSCB and used half in the stir fry. I put the other half in a glass Pyrex pan with lid, maybe a little less than 9x13. Mixed in 1 lb frozen mixed veggies microwaved 2 minutes to thaw them a little, 4 oz can of mushrooms squeezed dry, and a can of cream of mushroom soup. Slapped the cover on the pan and shoved it in the fridge. Tomorrow night I will mix up a box of stuffing mix per the box instructions, spread that on the chicken mixture, and bake at 350 till it starts to smell good. That will be another 6 servings so I won't have to cook till next Sunday. My kinda week. 🙂 Baking powder drop biscuits would be good on top of this instead of stuffing mix.

I don't think either of these would freeze well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Discovered I still have a lot of caraway seeds. This scone recipe looks good. I may try dry milk reconstituted for baking this. And a few raisins.
    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/caraway-scones/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use dry milk in baking all the time. Hope you have good luck luck with the scones.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    Chocolate cake - no eggs or butter required. She has a Youtube video showing it also.
    Have not made the pumpkin pie yet since hubby bought apple pie at the store last week. However happy to have 2 no-egg recipes on hand now.
    https://www.jennycancook.com/recipes...hocolate-cake/
    I remembered that shortbread doesn't use eggs, just flour, butter, and sugar. You can add variations like lavender, lemon, vanilla bean, chocolate chips, pecans, cheddar and herbs, etc.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

think a lot of good old fashioned recipes are the best. found lots of downloadable books here

https://wartimecanada.ca/archive-categories/recipes

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are several gingerbread recipes / no eggs. I have Karo syrup (light & dark) to use up, maybe 1/2 Karo for the molasses. I know it does not taste the same.
    Eggs don't seem to be scarce as I thought they would be but I hear the prices are going up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made the caraway scones, forgot about the raisins. They are OK. Only uses 2 tsp caraway in batch of 8 scones. It is going to take a long time to use up the caraway seeds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use it to make popovers: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...popovers-11440 I put in about twice the amount of caraway because I like the flavor.

It's good sprinkled in Italian dishes, like spaghetti sauce, meatloaf, and minestrone soup, as well as cabbage dishes, pork chops, breakfast sausage, and as an ingredient in herb vinaigrette dressing or spice rubs for meat.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Non-egg recipe: https://www.realgreekrecipes.com/greek-honey-cookies/

I have not tried this. I found it while searching for something to do with the jar of honey I have. I'd try it, but not sure where I would get semolina right now.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The eggless choc cake recipe works fine. I found a double-size version (like the one I posted in the link) in one of MIL's old church cookbooks, so made 9X13" cake and frosting from a can. They called it "crazy cake" in the cookbook. I will probably take some to brother on Saturday because don't need an entire cake here......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Uses 1 egg yolk and only 1 stick of butter: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...-crisps-106061 Cheddar pecan crisps

1 egg, no butter: https://www.mastercook.com/app/recip...cipeId=2236538 Brazilian cheese puffs -- these dry out very quickly after baking, but the batter keeps a few days in the fridge so you can make smaller batches as needed

no eggs, 1 stick butter: https://www.landolakes.com/recipe/19...ned-date-bars/ old fashioned date bars

I have used all these recipes and they came out well.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

only new recipes I tried was the slow cooker beef stroganoff which was liked week after the pork stroganaff not spelling it right! pork one had used cream of mushroom soup etc but wasn't liked as much at all.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast