2020 Try New Recipes Challenge - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made strawberry banana muffins. I used a bit of sugar substitute and they were very soft.
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/27...berry-muffins/

I am currently making chicken parm in the crockpot and using the Italian panko crumbs. Like one response, I forgot to fry the chicken before putting it into the crock! They said it came out good, though....
    https://www.thecountrycook.net/crock...cken-parmesan/

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I like a cold salad on a hot summer day.

https://wildflourskitchen.com/2016/0...o-pasta-salad/

I mostly followed the recipe, adjusting for what I had on hand. I used a handful of garden tomatoes, and a medium banana pepper (slightly spicy), chopped some whole black olives and skipped the artichoke because I didn't have any. I used less oil, only enough to coat the pasta, and half the amount of home made pesto. Left out the mozzarella, but added several chopped slices of salami, a stalk of celery, and a green onion. At the end I tasted and added a couple tablespoons of brine from the olive jar.

Pasta salad is pretty forgiving.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really love cooking. These days I like to make some easy receipts, using not so much ingredients. Also, I watched a lot of videos where people make dishes using avocadoes.
    As for me today in the morning I made some sandwiches with avocado, salmon and Eggs Benedict.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've been wanting to try this: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...tato-empanadas

I made modifications, starting by using chicken instead of beef, because that's what I had. I added cumin,thyme and parsley, left out the scallion and bullion. In retrospect it really needed the extra salt. The instructions say to take "golf ball" size pieces and make 24 balls. Well, I divided the masa into 24 portions and they were more like marshmallow sized. You definitely want to portion before you start making the tortillas. Also, the masa is very soft, don't roll it too thin or the empanadas will fall apart as you try to fill them.

DH and I both thought they were ok, but not great. I thought they should have been crispier, and could have had more flavor (but I left out the bullion) and DH didn't care for the texture of the corn and potato together. We ate half the batch and I put the remaining ones in the freezer for later. I will try reheating in the oven and see if the texture is any better.

Now, what else can I do with 4lbs of masa?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

tamales!!!!
    I think they are lots of work, but people here make a giant batch and freeze them for later.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieTru View Post
    tamales!!!!
    I think they are lots of work, but people here make a giant batch and freeze them for later.
    I love tamales and have tried to make them a couple of times, even took a class, but they always get soggy and wet during the steaming process.

Thanks, I didn't know it could be used for cornbread.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I haven't tried this yet, but a lady on another forum I frequent did and says it is wonderful. I am thinking about making up a big batch and giving it away to family and friends. Otherwise, if you try it, you might want to scale down a bit.

Tuscan Rub

1 c. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    3 c. chopped fresh sage leaves
    30-40 medium garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
    1/4 c. coarse sea salt
    In a food processor, or with a sharp knife, chop the rosemary, then the sage. Combine the two and chop again (this recipe is great for motor skill development) until very fine.
    Chop the garlic cloves add salt, and chop and mix until a paste forms.
    Add the garlic/salt mix to the sage/rosemary mix, stir until well blended, and then spread out to dry. A cookie sheet, perforated pan, or anything you think will work.
    Drying time varies, but if you stir once a day, you can tell when the mix is crumbly and dry.
    When dry, break up any clods and store in a glass jar. It does not need to be refrigerated.
    This is a great rub for chicken, pork, or beef. It also makes a great marinade when mixed with vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made these NO EGG cookies today https://www.pastabased.com/pignoli-cookies/ They came out well. They're easy to make, basically butter cookies with nuts. Not fancy IMO, but maybe a little expensive since almond paste and pine nuts aren't cheap in the US. The only issue I had with the recipe is that the amount of dough was so small it was difficult to do in my stand mixer. I made two minor modifications, used real butter and vanilla instead of almond extract. I also used packaged almond paste, not home-made.

Will make these again, I have at last 4 more packages of almond paste.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just got a new magazine and tied this. I used all ground beef instead of the beef/lamb mix. Very tasty.

Lamb & Beef Balti Recipe | EatingWell

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made raisin bread in the machine today but I will try this in a few days. Craving chocolate lately.
    https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...e-bread-recipe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made this a few weeks ago. It was excellent.

https://loveonaplate.net/chicken-cor...8Q04XwHb_icwmI

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have this chicken tortilla soup in the crock pot now. It asked for a tablespoon of chile powder but I "chickened out" and used a teaspoon...LOL
    https://www.kimscravings.com/crockpo...tortilla-soup/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

That's very similar to my recipe. We love that in the winter.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love tortilla soup....great recipe....got the black beans on my grocery list....have everything else....thanks...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast