2020 Pantry / Freezer Challange - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

having two minds about a pantry challenge. want to keep stocked up but also want to use up stuff. now that the kitchen is almost back together at least can cook again. Still have veggies from last csa to use up and have more coming tues. at least stuff that will last. will make leek soup and the zucchini etc can be roasted on bbq. freezers are full. did pick up more tp on sale.

did find half price box of nabob kcups 55 for $12.50 yesterday and a half price frozen family size mac and cheese for easy meal.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

M, I am rotating stuff. Oldest being used first. Trying to use stuff before it gets stale or out of date. Then I fill the hole with a new product.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Registered User miteigenenhaenden's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    M, I am rotating stuff. Oldest being used first. Trying to use stuff before it gets stale or out of date. Then I fill the hole with a new product.
    I do it that way too
    Best regards, miteigenenhaenden
    www.miteigenenhaenden.wordpress.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm pulling out the stuff I want to eat up and putting it on an open shelf (not in a cupboard) by my "kitchen" in the wee shed I live in. The "kitchen" is a single table with a single butane burner on it and my utensils and pans. I'm trying to learn to fix what's on the shelf, augmented with my chicken eggs and garden produce. I also have a shopping basket hanging from a ladder by the "kitchen" that I keep the fresh stuff in and bread if I have it. The rest of the "pantry" stock I"m trying to put in closed tins or hard to reach shelves. THat way I finish up stuff and then restock the "eat me" shelf from the harder to get things once a week. Trying to redevelop this habit. It helped me through a tight-budget winter. I divided up the canned goods into monthly boxes I stored under the bed. On the first of the month I pulled out a box with that month written on it. That way I had a couple jars of jam each month instead of eating them all in october like I usually had. Lots of canned tomatoes, my dried food got divided up with a few more dried fruits and an extra jar of jam in the december box for the holidays. Any left over canned goods went into the future boxes. I did find that the "february" box needed more stuff than the others because prices on fruit and veg here tend to be up.
    The weekly "eat me" shelf is a miniature and faster rotating version of that for the summer when there is more fresh. SO far it's helped me eat up the cracked wheat I over bought when it's on sale. Next is the sushi rice I could only find in a too-big bag.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have four cases of turkey necks and wings (2 cases each) that I am trying to process. Not enough room in the freezer for all of it. I have all but about 1.5 cases in there, but I am trying to dehydrate the remaining necks for the dogs and still haven't figured out what to do with about 20 wings.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    yes that is I am trying to do soon. I am trying to get used to the new fridge freezer too since drawers on bottom instead of the big on top fridge freezer i am used too. no shelves in the door etc and drawers don't hold as much as I thought. when I emptied the old one ..all the little things like ice packs, butter, etc went downstairs but need to come back up so they aren't lost.

think a pantry challenge just to use up the old stuff and get creative.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

To me the pantry challenge is being mindful of what I'm buying and using. Sometimes it's to eat down and other times it's to build my stockpile back up. Right now I'm stocking up. I also use this to note if it's grown, hm or given to me.

Since Friday morning:

Freezer used:
    nothing

pantry used:
    1 jar of hm pasta sauce with mushrooms/artichoke hearts

Freezer added:
    10 cups diced banana peppers from the garden

Pantry added:
    nothing
    2020 Goals:
    Pay off Ohio House - PAID OFF!! March 2020
    Save for whole house generator - $0/$15,000 (Guess amount, no quote)
    Fully Fund all Retirement Accounts & HSA - $12,500/$43,000
    Save for fruit trees - $0/$2,000 (by December)
    Survive Outage - 6-12s for 3-6 months.....love the pay, hate the hours
    Save for pond....now a 2022 goal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123