10 Day Local Food Challenge
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 10 Day Local Food Challenge

Has anyone here done it?

The challenge was popular with the hippie and slow food crowds a while back. You pick 10 days and eat local food. Local means grown within about 100 miles of your house. 10 "exotics" (coffee, cocoa, salt) are ok to include as treats or whatever. Track how it goes and get a picture of your local food system, insight into your diet/cooking habits--by making a change, and I suspect I will find out how much social life centers on eating out or sharing food even during 'Rona times.

I plan to track the relative cost. I think even if it costs a bit more, supporting local food is worth it to me personally. This pandemic with supply issues has really pointed out to me how much more reliable a local farmer can be. Not always but often.

I am starting Monday. I've gotten my food pretty well figured out. I am blogging about it but thought I would get better input on the costs and recipes and things here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

good for you! I saw that on your blog too. I like how they let you have 10 exotics. It was a thing here for a while for a couple of years. They even did a show with local people doing the challenge. but no exotics. Most things are easy to get here ..think it was just wheat and coffee but they found some people growing it. but we are spoiled for choice.. fruit, veg, meat, fish, honey, eggs etc.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1415143/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the link! I'll see if I can find episodes of that.
    So far I am 1 meal in. I helped my friend butcher chickens this weekend, 2 days 60 chickens. Payment is 16 halfpint jars of chicken. THat worked out well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

that did work out well! it was interesting show.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday I had a field trip for work. Spent an hour the evening before cooking so I had left overs for lunch. It was WAY more delicious, and healthy, than my usual field lunch. I guess that's part of the lesson as well. Took boiled eggs from my chickens, a sort of blackberry-honey-flour baked pudding (it was going to be cake but was too wet so I called it pudding), and mashed local winter squash that I steamed with onions and garlic and tarragon(garlic and tarragon from my garden). REALLY good for dinner and even better the next day for lunch.
    Last night I picked some green tomatoes and fried those up in an egg/flour batter. Also delicious, and made apple sauce with my apples and some honey. I added the apple sauce and honey just because I was out hiking all day on the field trip and my calorie intake was low.
    My new standard breakfast is a microwaved potato topped with microwave scrambled eggs with a diced up hot pepper. It's a bit stinky inside the mask, but delicious.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Day 5 and all is well. I was planning to go to a farmers market tomorrow but other than maybe carrots I can't think of anything I really need. No room to stockpile fresh or fermented produce. So I guess I skip it. I just made veggie soup with a bit of chicken in it. I ate most of a jar today and yesterday for lunch. Maybe 2 oz for the soup. The rest is onion, ,garlic, potato, and some herbs from the garden. I did add pepper and vinegar from my exotics list because it is a tad bland. Dessert is stewed apples and blackberries with a dumpling topper. I am going to be eating on these all weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was wrong...already finished them! Ate the last of the soup for supper with a couple of scrambled eggs and some spaetzle. I guess I get to eat something else tomorrow. It's chilly and I have lentils so maybe a lentil and wheat berry pilaf. All local. With my garlics and whatever herbs I can round up.

A friend gave me a BUNCH of squash today and fortunately they are pretty small. Easier to deal with than giant ones. The little kabocha ones should be nice stuffed with some diced apples and put in a dutch oven on the wood stove this winter. Or, I'll just eat them right away. Because of this, I didn't need to go to the farmers market. Very helpful. I did add some of my vinegar preserved berries to a bannock dough today. A bit of honey to cut the sour from the residual vinegar, and a spoon of cocoa. It turned out pretty good.

I think I will be eating more spaetzle! I have a little shaker deal I found at a thrift store last year. You put in flour, egg and water or milk. Shake it up. Take off the outer lid, and there are squeezy holes that drip the batter into the pan making really nice little dumplings. It's taken me several tries to get the batter consistency right. THere are little metal balls that shake around to help mix it up. It made a brothy soup nice and hearty. ANd took 10min including 8min of cooking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I finished up yesterday! It went well and I think there are several dishes I will keep making. The berry puddings are really really good. Berries, "wacky cake" mix (the dry ingredients from an eggless cake recipe, minus the sugar) and some honey. Cook over low until you can't wait any longer. And the scrambled eggs on top of veggie stew. Makes it hearty enough that it feels more like a meal and less like a diet dish.
    People were finishing up garden harvests and sharing so I have enough squash to keep me going for a month or more even if I had it once a day! Bit hard to store but that will make me remember to eat it. I think I will use this experiment to plan my garden planting next year.
    went out for breakfast with a friend today to break the local bubble but I might do it again next month for a few days to see how things change when it's not garden season locally

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

good for you!