Who is up for a Pantry/ Freezer Challenge for October? - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a menu for October meals...but right now I am sick with a cold and last night I wasn't up for cooking. DH heated up a couple cans of spagetti from the pantry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oct 1st: dinner from freezer and pantry was burgers on the grill with mushrooms and onions, macaroni and cheese, and broccoli. Used up some pepperjack cheese along with the fresh veggies before they went bad!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yesterday (October 1) was dinner from the pantry. Homemade chicken enchiladas and rice.
    No grocery shopping.

Today (Oct 2) is pot roast, mashed potatoes, & veggies. Leftovers for lunch, the boys took lunch to school. Dh is home on his day off so he had leftovers too.
    No grocery shopping today either.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Made casserole on Sunday out of food on hand, and made some biscuits to go with it. Had the leftovers for supper last night. Haven't thought too much about supper tonight - husband is away, oldest daughter ate a large snack after school, youngest eats anything, middle child eats nothing , so I will not be making anything too major - maybe omelets.

I shopped on the weekend, but didn't really buy many groceries - laundry detergent and diapers, which I have plenty of, but they were as cheap as they get so I couldn't help myself. But on the plus side, I actually put an ad on kijiji and sold my stockpile of dishwasher detergent, since I no longer use it.

Still have to get a turkey this week, and need cheese.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

10/2 dinner: frozen lasagna I had bought on sale some time ago and had pretty much forgotten about. Sprinkled some extra mozzarella cheese on it that needed to be used, homemade garlic bread, and half a can of garden peas left over from another meal. There will be enough to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Found a open bag of tater tots that had about 20 of them in it. I cooked them up and we had them with our chicken soup tonight.
    Debra
    Married to Michael
    Mom to
    Chassidy 29
    Tanner 25
    Johanna 20
    Grandma to Jaxson 4/18/14

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I dethawed a bag of chili and ate it with some leftover steamed veggies and a pb sandwich.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    When I first read this thread, I thought it was going to be a challenge to fill the pantry! I have a real psychological problem with emptying it this time of year. I instinctively want to hoard food in the fall, and clear it all out in the spring. BUT, my husband just called with some rather unpleasant news from the mechanic, so I think I will try this (sort of).

I only have a couple pounds of meat, and I'll need a turkey for Thanksgiving next weekend, and if local potatoes and apples go on sale I will be buying lots - but I will refrain from stocking up on anything that is available all year (dry goods), and will try to eat through some of the stuff on hand.

Not quite as intense as some of you, but forcing myself to eat anything that I've set aside at this time of year will be a huge deal for me.
    I am the same way. I tend to want to stockpile in the fall. However, I have stockpiled so much, I don't think it will make *much* of a dent during this challenge month

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Had breakfast for dinner tonight. Pancakes from scratch.

Registered User PoorRichardsGirl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oct 2 - Used up more potato salad and another hot dog for lunch. Used some grapes. Dinner was frozen pizza rather than take-out.

Oct 3 - Ate an apple and finished the potato salad. Went to use a roll for lunch, and discovered they'd all gone moldy. Not feeling too successful after that--should have gotten some of them in the freezer right away. I think dinner's going to be a Penny Omelet, which is sliced up hot dogs in scrambled egg. That will use up the hot dogs and start in on the $1/dozen eggs I got at Walgreens recently.

What I should do today: make Waldorf salad to use up the sad-looking apples, and make beef barley soup with leftover liquid from Sunday's crockpot roast. But it's only going to happen if I have enough energy after dinner tonight.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok , i just joined the forum a few minutes ago, read this thread first and realized i'll fit right in lol.

Last month i decided to do what you guys are doing, we lived on everything that was in the freezer and used up things that personally i figured would be in there forever. I did however find the frozen blueberrys that i did up last year at the very bottom, in a box, under the raspberrys

Freezer is empty now, and im ok with that, now i am picking mushrooms off of my lawn and going to make a speggitti sause from them and from cans of tomatoes , and other tomatoe things my mom dropped off when she cleaned out her pantry lol.

We also finally ate the ' wild goose' my brother gave us last year. Only 3 out of four of us were feeling queezy afterwards, but like i said, Now its gone, we dont have to do it again

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok, I'm in if I can buy a few necessities - milk/fruit/bread.

10/1 - we had meatloaf, mashed potatos and corn
    10/2 - Mon took us out for dinner
    10/3 - Shephards pie

My pantry is pretty stocked, however, my freezer is a little low.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had breakfast for dinner on Wednesday. I used some blueberries from the freezer and pancake mix I bought while we are at the beach for blueberry pancakes. I fixed "sprinkle" pancakes for the kids...I put cake sprinkles in the batter and it makes them "all pretty" like my DD says. I used up 1/2 a bag of hashbrowns that I had gotten for nearly free sometime ago. I also used up all of my sausage unfortunately. That's something my DH can't do without.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Last night's dinner was tatertot casserole. Used up a half-bag of tatertots that was in the freezer.

Tonight will be leftovers. Eating up what we have. You know it's time for leftovers when the cupboard where you keep your storage bowls is empty

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well kids at up the rest of the chicken soup from Tuesday night last night. I had to work a spaghetti dinner at school last night and brought home enough left overs for tonight.
    DH and I are eating up the leftover mashed pot. today I am making potato pancakes. We are eating up some steak with it and a salad before it goes bad.
    Only spent $3 this week for some salsa mix and bananas. Will have to go and get another salsa mix as my DH brought home another bag of tomatoes from a co-worker. Will also get some cabbage and carrots for corned beef and cabbage that I am going to make on Sunday.

Was going to get a couple of other things but Dh said not to. He said that if we are going to eat what is here we are not adding any thing else to the stockpile. So he is totally on board with this. Witch I need ad I can not pass up a good deal. I may just have him go to the store tomorrow so I am not tempted to get anything else. Or I will only take enough cash to cover what I need.

Good luck everyone.
    Debra
    Married to Michael
    Mom to
    Chassidy 29
    Tanner 25
    Johanna 20
    Grandma to Jaxson 4/18/14

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast