Major challenge....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Major challenge....

Ok all. Here is the situation. I have $40 for groceries that I need to last me for 21 days. I have a great dollar store around here with plenty of items and grocery stores. I have VERY VERY limited coupons. probably only about 1-2 products I will normally use. We are eatting very healthy. I need some VERY cheap breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas. Things that are quick for the morning (best yet, somethign I can freeze and just pop in the microwave to eat on our way out the door), healthy lunch ideas to bring to work and healthy dinners. I have following meats...

Ground beef
    ground turkey
    several pounds chicken quarters
    chicken thighs
    4 Pork chops
    Ground chicken
    Whole Chicken
    Salmon Fillets

I have the following veggies:
    Frozen broccoli (getting freezer burned need to eat SOON)
    Canned Green Beans
    Canned Corn
    Frozen Corn
    Frozen whole Spinach
    Bag of baby spinach
    Carrotts
    Green Peppers
    Pickles
    Green Olives
    Potatos
    Diced Tomatoes
    Tomato Paste
    Stewed Tomatoes
    Garlic
    FRESH Basil
    NO NO NO NO Onions. Just onion soup mix

I have all types of seasonings in my cabinet plus beef and chicken boullon cubes and puerto rican spices.

Bread I have..
    1 Loaf white
    1 loaf rye
    1 refrigerated can of bisquit.
    1 Package Whole Wheat Wraps
    Frozen Waffles

Pantry goods..
    pasta
    rice
    brown rice
    rice-a-roni sides
    ramon noodles
    mac-n-cheese
    Refried Beans

Dairy,...
    Butter
    Cream Cheese
    sliced american cheese
    laughing cow swiss
    laughing cow herb & garlic.

Now I can buy some groceries at the dollar store/reg. grocery store but need to limit it to $40 plus I have to include deoderant for myself and TP. I know I do need to buy Eggs and Soy milk.

So here is what I'm trying to do. I'm soooo bad with menu planning, cheap meals etc.. I need help. It's myself, my BF and my 5 year old daughter (her school snacks are provided by the school and her lunch by my mother) I take lunch to work. I need healthy, quick, cheap meals. I also need recipes... I am really bad with just "throwing" something together. So I'm trying to see if I can get a menu together with all you lovely ladies help to feed my family for 21 days breakfast, lunch (for 6 days for all of us and every week day for me) and dinner. What i listed is mainly what I have... I can spend $40 this weekend. I need to figure out what to buy (very very little coupons), make a menu and get recipes together. Who wants to help???
    TIA!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I forgot to add... i'm looking to put together/cook most meals this weekend for convenience so I may have to spend about $5 of that $40 on containers at the dollar store. Plus $5 for 5 containers of soy milk (will last the entire 3 weeks) and a carton of eggs $2. then I guess around $7 for TP. So i'm looking at only actually having $21 for actualy groceries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

anyone? I'm willing to try anything!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

roast the whole chicken serve with riceroni side and corn for dinner.
    use left over meat and laughing cow cheese and some baby spinach to make wraps for you for lunches.
    cook groundbeef with garlic,basil, add some canned tomatoes, mix in cooked pasta.
    porkchops, mashed tators and broccoli

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

not sure how this would taste. But thinking with the ground turkey, if you cooked and then mixed in some turkey gravy (you would have to buy) and served over the biscuits. Kind of like sausage gravey and biscuits.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great. those are a few meals I can add. That's 3 dinners and several lunches thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

at the end of the month u could get a big family can of tomato soup and put leftover meat and veggies in along with some garlic powder, chili powder and some seasoning salt or whatever seasoning u like.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy0906 View Post
    I forgot to add... i'm looking to put together/cook most meals this weekend for convenience so I may have to spend about $5 of that $40 on containers at the dollar store. Plus $5 for 5 containers of soy milk (will last the entire 3 weeks) and a carton of eggs $2. then I guess around $7 for TP. So i'm looking at only actually having $21 for actualy groceries.
    ok, I stink at recipes, but I thought I may be able to help in another way

Don't spent $5 on containers at the store, instead buy a box of aluminum foil & saran wrap. (that just saved you $3)

Also, start saving your empty plastic containers from things like butter - then you will always have extra containers when you need them.

Can you buy a smaller pack of TP this trip, just enough to get by til you have more in the bank? Then you won't have to spend $7 on TP? ((That's expensive))

Most dollar stores have health/beauty stuff, so you can get deodorant there - so that's possibly only spending $5 total (($1 aluminum foil, $1 saran wrap, $1 toilet paper x 2, $1 deodorant))

Good luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You could precook the ground meat with onions (purchased) and a little carrot then divide this among several meals.

Add some brown rice and some brocoli (chopped) and stuff pepper halves.

Flatten out the bisquits (I pull half the layers off at a time) and line muffin tins then add a spoon of meat and some beaten eggs. Very easy and can be microwaved for an out the door breakfast. Add a little cheese if you like.

Add some of the meat to your rice a roni or noodles for that quick skillet meal.

Use the bones of the chicken you have and plan a soup. It is a great starter to a meal and can be very filling.

Make a strata if bread cubes, some of the meat mixture some added veggies if you like, and poor over some beaten eggs. I cut this into squares and microwave for quick lunches ... and breakfasts.

What a challange. Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Take your diced tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, and tomato paste and make sauce with some of the seasonings you have, and have pasta and sauce.
    How about meatloaf? You can make that, you will need a couple of eggs though. You can make the bread crumbs with about 5 pieces of your bread, dried out in the oven then put through the food processor.

Take your broccoli, cheese and some riceand make a casserole. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure if you search broccoli cheese casserole you'll find one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You didnt say if you have any flour. If you do, you can use some chicken broth/boullion and make homemade dumplings. This can possibly make a couple of meals. I have added veggies to the broth to make it a little more healthy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was looking for a previous post, but cant find it. However, Sunshine had some great ideas about feeding a family for a small amount of money. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope this helps with your planning:

Dinners

Poach Salmon in some water with the basil and garilc,serve with brown rice, and bagged spinach

Crockpot-pork chops and baked beans (you will have to purchase but they are pretty cheap)

Chicken Quarters-place a little of your garlic laughing cow and place under the skin before baking the chicken, serve with broccoli, and white rice

Chicken thighs-in crockpot put in chicken, stewed tomatoes, peppers, garlic, and basil, serve with rice

if you have leftovers you can take any of these into work for your lunches, do not buy the containers it is not the right way to spend your funds now. cover a bowl with plastic wrap or foil, it will do the trick for right now you will just have to be careful

Lunch idea

Make onion soup mix and add some cooked ground beef to it to stretch and fill you up, serve with your rye bread.

Do you have a bread machine? If so, you should use a little money to get flour and yeast and this will get you a long way with little investment in cash or time. I would be happy to give you recipes for white bread as well as french, pizza dough, and so forth. I am the queen of the bread machine and it does save you money. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you would like.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just made a big batch of breakfast rice. Cook regular rice, add sugar and cinnamon to taste. You can also add dried fruit if you like. I like to add the cinnamon and sugar after about 5 minutes. I cook for another 5 minutes. It is usually done then. If it needs more sugar add it now. Scoop into microwave safe bowls, cover and put it in the fridge. The kids take it out of the fridge in the morning and heat it in the microwave. Cheap, easy, fast, and 2 out or 3 kids love it.
    I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by always2busy View Post
    I just made a big batch of breakfast rice. Cook regular rice, add sugar and cinnamon to taste. You can also add dried fruit if you like. I like to add the cinnamon and sugar after about 5 minutes. I cook for another 5 minutes. It is usually done then. If it needs more sugar add it now. Scoop into microwave safe bowls, cover and put it in the fridge. The kids take it out of the fridge in the morning and heat it in the microwave. Cheap, easy, fast, and 2 out or 3 kids love it.
    I hope this helps.
    this stuff is really tasty! we eat it especially around christmas and add a little milk to it. makes for a nice warm treat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast