Freezer/pantry challenge - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

RATS! I forgot about this challenge. I haven't been doing too well this last few days. Too busy to cook from the freezer/cook ahead. Had to make do with whatever I could scrounge/buy and get on the table quickly. Thanks for posting and bumping! I'm back on the wagon now.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm just jumping in now, but tonight we had omelettes with sausage and cheese. I used some sausage that I held aside from the sausage that I cooked and cut for my pasta sauce. I made a double batch so that I can freeze half and then I'll use the other half tomorrow. Same with the meatballs. So, obviously, tomorrow's meal will be pasta with sauce/sausage/meatballs...all from stuff in the freezer/pantry. I plan on emptying both by the end of December.
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Reviving this challenge for 2009. I didn't see any recent pantry challenges. So we can continue with this one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks Sara, I'm all for having a pantry challenge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I started easy! For dinner, used up some Christmas ham, a bag of soup beans (the kind with many beans and soup mix in it), carrots from the fridge, and some canned tomatoes from the pantry that needed to be used soon. Oh! Also pulled some HM honey wheat muffins from the freezer as a side.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was actually going to start a challenge for this. So I am in totally.
    I need to clean out the freezer and use up some close to expiring pantry items.

I did a freezer inventory the other day and I have enough meat to last over 2 month of meals.
    I am going to try and keep my grocery budget for January to about $15 a week for just produce and dairy product.
    I am going to go through all of my coupons that expire at the end of the year and decide which ones I am going to use and which ones I am not.
    I really do need to use up what I have.
    Today DH wanted tater tot casserole.
    Everything can from the freezer or pantry.
    Having LO corn and jello with it.
    Debra
    Married to Michael
    Mom to
    Chassidy 29
    Tanner 25
    Johanna 20
    Grandma to Jaxson 4/18/14

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in. Usually the last week of every month, for us, is what we have week. I usually just buy milk and produce on this week. For this particular week, we have tons of food to eat. Plus, my mom cleaned out her freezer and we are getting a lot of her food that she does not want. That helps a great deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in!! I have lots of "odds and ends" that I would love to use up!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am in too! Thanks for continuing to 2009. My pantry is so full I have moved food into other cabinets that shouldn't be food cabinets. I also have a freezer outside that is so full I can barely close it.

I have been doing the $25 a week challenge ($300 for groceries for my family). I have been doing pretty well, but now I have all this food. I hope to spend no more than $100 this month. I will need more milk, bread, and beef.

I made veggie soup using frozen leftovers and got out some frozen bananna bread for breakfast/ snack.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Had a little bit of turkey leftover from Christmas and some heavy whipping cream that needed used up. Tried a new recipe.
    I made a copycat recipe for Applebees Tortilla Soup.

Had most everything in the pantry to make it but had to substitute a few items to make it.
    It is really tasty.
    Lots of leftovers to eat for lunch this week.
    Debra
    Married to Michael
    Mom to
    Chassidy 29
    Tanner 25
    Johanna 20
    Grandma to Jaxson 4/18/14

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I need to get my kitchen freezer cleaned out. There's too much "mystery meat" buried in the back of it.

Within the next 30 days I plan to use up:

refried beans
    black beans
    bread dough
    ground bison
    peas
    bamboo shoots
    spinach
    mixed vegetables
    shrimp *
    ham
    hot sausage*
    puff pastry
    phyllo dough
    banana
    chicken backs
    ham bone
    fish sticks
    pumpkin puree

Those are the items I could identify. When I am done with that, I'll figure out the things I couldn't identify. LOL!

*These will be tricky, as DH can't eat them.

Anyone else up for a winter freezer challenge?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm back in. DH and I have downsized since my first entry, from a large 21 cu. ft. freezer to a 12 cu. ft. freezer. We're adjusting to how little food we actually need as a couple, compared to when the kids were home. We've had an adult dd leave home since this thread was started too...and that means her fiance doesn't come over to eat anymore either! So all in all, we are whittling down our freezer contents slowly but surely.

I still have lots of pumpkin. It's hard to resist when it goes on sale around Halloween. I have a huge 50 lb. bag of brown basmati rice, bought before rice prices went up. It will last us years.

We have a lot of frozen fruit in the freezer right now. Any ideas? DH does smoothies, but often from fresh fruit. I don't want to be baking too many desserts with it just being DH and I, and me supposedly low carb. I don't know... I may end up gifting a lot of it to DD#1.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Frozen fruit is good in smoothies, you can mix it with the fresh and it makes it cold and thick.

I've got a bag of peaches I need to use up, we're also "low carb" but I'll probably make a fruit crisp, with oatmeal on top.

So far I've made plans for everything but the bison, phyllo, and pumpkin.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi everyone...I'm back... today I made butternut squash with a lentil spaghetti sauce to go over top. The squash needed to be used.

I also cleaned out my fridge to make a version of potato soup. I used up some shallots, onion, potatoes, and celery leaves. Added some salt, pepper, butter, and skim milk. I seem to have a lot of skim milk powder.

I'm also working away at the Pear Ginger Cake I made Saturday for Valentine's Day. DH is helping with that!

I'm gradually clearing out the fridge for grocery shopping tomorrow, and the freezer for summer produce. It's now about half empty...a lot better than Christmas, when it was full.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Found some bananas going brown in my freezer. Originally started with the idea for Banana Loaf, but I found this recipe for Banana Gingerbread first. I tried it today. Smells wonderful. Hope it tastes good tonight for dessert!

Tonight's supper will be an attempt to clean out the fridge. We have produce coming tonight. I want to clean things out as much as possible.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast