Does anyone make their own babyfood?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does anyone make their own babyfood?

Or do you just take whatever you are having for dinner and puree it? My son is 9 months old. The Dr said he can start eating table food. He does ok with small pieces of certain items, but will gag if I give him more than a really small piece so it would take him forever to eat dinner if I fed him just our table food. So I usually feed him a jar of baby food and slip in little bites of our food along with it. I haven't given him meat, but I will give him small bites of pasta or greenbeans.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I bought a mini food processor thingy when my daughter was little and just chopped it up whatever we ate.. then if there were left overs I filled an ice tray with it. froz it and then put in baggie, where i could pull one out and nuke it or put in a dish and carry out and by the time i needed it was thawed. I never bought baby food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Trying to teach my daughter how but it's like talking to a tree stump.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

With my first son we did all jarred baby food and never offered him table food until he was 12 mos old - this kid is now 5 yo and is the PICKIEST eater I've ever seen.

DS 2 never had jarred baby food at all. At 5 1/2 mos I started steaming carrots, sweet potatoes and other veggies and would then puree them in a mini food processor. I froze them in ice cube trays and would thaw a handful out for dinner. At around 9 mos I would give him a few "chunks" of his food with a small amount of our food. He would have Cheerios, Gold fish, small pieces of pears, etc...for snacks and that helped him get used to the texture of real food in his mouth, but I didn't have to worry about him not getting enough to eat at meals.

I also did the same thing with fruits (homemade applsauce, pureed berries, etc....)

Now this child (2 1/2) will eat anything and everything. He doesn't care much for 'kid food' (chicken nuggets, hot dogs, etc...) but loves veggies, pasta, grilled chicken - his favorite food in the world is grape tomatoes...

They are two different children with very different personalities, but I do believe that the way I fed them as babies has a lot to do with their eating habits now....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I picked up an immersion blender at a garage sale long ago. If we are having something to hard to 'gnaw on' I'll puree it and freeze the rest for another day. My dd won't let you feed her now, has to do it herself but I've had other's who would let me feed them until 12 months or so. I keep whole wheat graham crackers on hand too. In a pinch a couple of those are always well received. Remember until about 12months a baby gets most of it's nutrition from breastfeeding (or formula) so I wouldn't worry too much. Do what you can. Babies all around the world learn to eat and I doubt two cultures approach it the same way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We made most of the baby food for the guys. The oldest up and totally refused baby food at 9 months. The twins, well, we just couldn't afford baby food. I would just cook dinner and blend up whatever we were having for dinner with an immersion blender.

Registered User wanderinggrandma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We used a mini chopper or a potato masher for fruits and veggies. We have gifted eaters in our family--never met food they didn't like so it was easy. Now the 2-1/2 yr old GD is turning picky. I call it the food of the week and that is what she wants breakfast lunch and dinner. She is healthy and growing so I'm not too worried about it.