Peanut butter ban
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Peanut butter ban

We're pack to summer program, and there are allergies in the group, so no peanut butter for lunches. We have to send lunches. Ds is picky, so it will be a challenge. He's 7 1/2 now, so he can help plan his lunches more, but it is always a challenge. The other day he decided no sandwiches. I'm thinking cold cereal and milk in the thermos might be cool one day.
    What are some of your packed lunches for those of you with picky (ie no fruit, no veg, no condiments) eaters.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hear you on the picky eater thing. My youngest would be SOL if they banned peanut butter. That's the only kind of sandwich he eats! Adding to this, he also does not eat lunch meat, hot dogs, cheese, or any condiments except ketchup & ranch (occasionally).

Some things we've sent:
    spaghettios in thermos
    mac & cheese in thermos
    chicken nuggets in thermos
    hamburger in a thermos (he assembles it on a bun w/ ketchup)
    cold pizza
    homemade pizza pockets/cheeseburger pockets

For your cereal idea. I picked up some "cereal" containers at Staples last year in their clearance section (it was after school started). It has two containers. The bottom one has a layer of freezable gel. You put that half in the freezer. Then once it's frozen you put the milk in that half. Screw on the top half and put the dry cereal in it. It comes with a spoon & everything.

Here they are:

We have these too:

http://www.coolgearinc.com/kids3.html

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

make your own "Lunchables" - lunch meat and cheese cut with small cookie cutters, crackers, treat: flat breads, pizza sauce, shredded cheese, treat; pancakes (make them small), syrup, fruit

skewers of meat, cheese, fruit

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yogurt
    cheese and crackers

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

tortillas rolled up with cold meat, cheese, and ranch dressing-- that's one of DD's favorites. You could obviously make a lot of different combinations with this.

cold bean burritos-- refried beans and cheese rolled up in a tortilla

homemade lunchables, as someone else mentioned-- I did these for my kids last week when they were staying with someone for the day. I took their divided plates with lids (3 section plates I got a long time ago at WalMart for about $1-2 each) and put in sliced pepperoni, mini pickles, crackers, and grapes. You could adjust it to whatever your child likes.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bumping this up to see if anyone has any more ideas.

My son eats toast and peanut butter for every meal, every day. We are planning to try him out with school in the fall, but the schools here do not allow any nuts. He will not eat any meat, beans, soup, canned pasta, untoasted bread, or spicy food.

I can't think of anything beyond cut up vegetables, cheese and crackers. He'll need more calories, fat, and protein in order to keep his emotions relatively under control. What else could I add?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    Bumping this up to see if anyone has any more ideas.

My son eats toast and peanut butter for every meal, every day. We are planning to try him out with school in the fall, but the schools here do not allow any nuts. He will not eat any meat, beans, soup, canned pasta, untoasted bread, or spicy food.

I can't think of anything beyond cut up vegetables, cheese and crackers. He'll need more calories, fat, and protein in order to keep his emotions relatively under control. What else could I add?
    Will he eat cottage cheese?

Homemade bread with added protein powder, etc. High fiber cereal is best -- filling, etc. Top with butter/honey mixture. yummy!

Eggs? Hard boiled or deviled?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Kids can be so hard....

My dd loves rice with peas in it. So I will send a bowl of that.

How about taco salad? You can use a small bowl to layer the Taco meat, lettuce , tomatoes, cheese and maybe sour cream. In a separate bag tortilla chips to scoop the taco mix. Or just he meat with the chips, whatever he will eat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's a tough one that unfortunately is popping up all over. They have gone from a complete PB ban to just limiting where allergic kids sit and having those tables PB free now at our schools thankfully. I have one child who will ONLY eat PB sandwiches for lunch and another who won't eat any kind of sandwiches at all. For my non-sandwich eater we do: Cold pizza, cold chicken (leftover), soup in a thermos, cereal and milk, salad, hard boiled eggs, chicken tenders rolled in foil, bagels with cream cheese (that is the closest we get to a sandwich). Usually a fruit and/or yogurt too and a bottle of water. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Parents magazine has great ideas for picky eaters. Check out the website. For my picky eater, she will take:
    meatballs and spaghetti in a thermos
    cream cheese on crackers or bagel or whatever
    yogurt/gogurt
    cheese and crackers
    chicken tenders with ranch dressing
    try different fruits and veggies, sometimes they will try things that other kids are having and the more choices there are the better
    wraps are great or pita bread, you can put chicken, turkey, salad, hummus or whatever is the current fav

Good luck. I know how frustrating this can be. Happily I can say that my now 14 year old eats a lot better now.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post

I would get into the kitchen and experiment with some homemade hummus. He doesn't have to know it comes from beans. Instead of the "regular" hummus spices, I would experiment with adding molasses or honey to get the taste and texture closer to peanut butter. If they can do it with soy beans, I don't see why you can't do it with garbanzo beans....and...if you do soy, they make excellent peanut butter look alikes that taste great.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Will sticky rice stay moist long enough to try vegetable sushi rolls? You could sneak this in by going with the cool fact that the Japanese culture has no bread (and may well be the only culture on the planet with no bread), therefore this cannot possibly be a sandwich.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~Are you allowed any other nut butter like almond or cashew?
    When I stayed in Ireland years ago the kids ate butter and jam sandwiches like we do with PB. They were delicious! Butter isn't as 'bad' for kids as it is for adults.
    My mom often sent raisin bread cream cheese sandwiches in our lunches. They were my favorite!
    Bagels and cream cheese are another good choice. You can vary the flavors of the bagels and the cream cheese and there are very healthy options for both.
    How about pie? Custard pies and quiche especially are very filling and high in protein.
    Can you pack hot dogs in a thermos? How about whole grain waffles sticks and syrup or jam? Chicken nuggets?
    My kids are really picky too but I think you have a great opportunity here to help them overcome some of it. They're going to be away from you and the multiple choices that they have at home and they're going to be hungry. After a few days they should start trying the stuff they "don't like".~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was buying dh some peanut butter last night & happened on soy butter. The label said it tastes just like pb, and though I had my doubts, I bought some. It didn't taste "exactly" like pb, but it was close enough that I like it. Since I am diabetic, I mixed it with some Smucker's sugar-free peach preserves and had it for lunch. It was very good. Would they allow soy?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by shp1055 View Post
    I was buying dh some peanut butter last night & happened on soy butter. The label said it tastes just like pb, and though I had my doubts, I bought some. It didn't taste "exactly" like pb, but it was close enough that I like it. Since I am diabetic, I mixed it with some Smucker's sugar-free peach preserves and had it for lunch. It was very good. Would they allow soy?
    I've been dealing with peanut ban in the elementary schools as well as daycares for years...it is now a total nut ban. It's the norm here. Anyhoo, DS#2 has a much better range of foods that I have to choose from and I do believe it's because I was forced to be more creative.

As far as the soy spreads...if you get a high quality brand they look and smell like PB and yep if you mix it with jam and don't make make a big deal about it your child will likely think you just switched PB brands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast