I need some help!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default I need some help!

Ds14 is wanting a cooked breakfast in the morning. I is able to cook, however the mornings are rushed he gets up earlier than I do(he likes time alone in the morning), and dh and I aren't comfortable with him cooking unsupervised. Yes, I could get up earlier, however, I work a LONG day and am exhausted at the best of times.

DH and I decided that we need to find some microwave recipes for him instead. Less likely to have major issues using the microwave.

Any suggestions for him? He's a big eater in the morning. And cereal isn't cutting it. I do make waffles and french toast to reheat through the week, but he's not big on those.

Would love some easy microwavable recipes for him. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy the pre-cooked frozen sausage in a bag from Aldis, they are good size. My kids microwave one of those and eat it on toast with cheese or eat one between two pancakes (homemade mcgriddle). I also cook extra biscuits on the weekend and they heat those up through the week, with sausage or left over gravy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I personally think 14 is a wonderful age to start teaching your son to cook for himself. Start with simple things like scrambled eggs or pancakes. My DS10 cooks both of those (still supervised for awhile longer). We do both on an electric skillet vs. the stove for safety. Stress the importance of safety AND cleaning up after himself.
    Cooking is a very valuble life skill.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There's some tips here on microwave cooking eggs: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/MicrowaveEggs.htm

Maybe you could start together on a weekend, and show him the process and figure out what time setting is good for your machine. Then he can move on to making his own on weekdays.

I like the idea of reheating frozen sausage patties or links. Ham steaks might also be easy to do.

Does he do hot cereal at all?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh, ds can cook numerous things. My problem with him cooking in the morning is it would be unsupervised. I am showering as he gets ready for the day. He tends to be absent minded at the best of times, never mind in the morning when he's still a little groggy. Part of being a teen. So I don't really wnat him operating the stove, go to the bathroom and forget the stove is on.

Thanks for the website! I'll be snooping.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What about making enough biscuts that would last him for the week. Cook up some bacon and put it in the fridge. Then, he could make some eggs in the microwave, and along with the bacon and biscuts...he would have a breakfast sandwhich.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let him fix a breakfast after diner and put it in the fridge. in the morning pop into microwave. Or fix breakfast for dinner let him help of coarse. Make enough for him to have in the A.M. Just an idea.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can cook scrambled eggs (with any type of omlet fixin...meats, veggies, left-overs, etc.) and pop them in the fridge in a tupperware container, then reheat them in the microwave. It works really well (my personal favorite is eggs, with onion & peppers).

Oatmeal is good and easy too. And it is a cooked breakfast!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You could supervise him on the weekends & make a batch of egg fajitas or egg "mc muffins" to freeze or refrigerate & reheat in the mornings.

BTW, my 10yo does a really good job making his own fried eggs
    Last edited by YankeeMom; 03-09-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Whenever I make a hot breakfast for dh and me, if there is any left (usually is) I put it into a plastic container and freeze it and take to my elderly father's, when I go over there to clean and help him out. This is usually stuff that will heat up well---scrambled eggs, sausage, french toast, or bacon. Could you do up some breakfasts on the weekends and freeze them?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

14 is old enough to cook. by coddling him, you are making unnecessary work for yourself.

Teach him to cook, teach him to clean up teach him not to set the house on fire.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think breakfast type sandwiches would work well. Egg muffin, sausage muffin, grilled cheese, egg sandwich etc..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Why not set up a thermos batch of hot cereal the night before? It will be cooked when he (and you) wake up...

Here's a link: http://www.ehow.com/how_2275972_cook...rgy-money.html

Judi
    Last edited by Judi Dial; 03-09-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: link added

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well there is a toaster you can buy that makes egg mcmuffins. That could be a possibility

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can also make a batch of breakfast burritos, wrap and save and then microwave. Someone on another frugal living type website posted a video of making a batch of them!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast