Baby food, there must be an easier way!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Baby food, there must be an easier way!

When I made my bi-weekly shopping trek a couple of days ago I about fell on the floor when I saw the price of baby food! $.48 at WM for a little teeny tiny jar
    I thought to myself "You've got 17, or some ridiculous number , pint of green beans and carrots in the freezer from last summer. Just make your own!"

Now I think it's worth $.48 for a teeny, tiny jar! JK (those jars would make adorable candles though)

There has to be an easier way to get it through the strainer. My dd is only 4 months and I'm sure the puree would gag her. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Go to the Beechnut website and sign up. They email you coupons to print once a month. I've gotten free cereal and when the baby food is on sale, I get it for .22 per jar for the 4 oz ones. Beechnut is all natural. Sometimes the coupons are $1.00 off 8, and they go on sale here for 9 for $3.00. Then I can get them 9 for $2.00. They allow you 4 of these offers so I stock up and get my mom to help me buy them. I stocked up a few months back, and should have enough until she starts the stage 3 foods.

www.beechnut.com

I hope this helps! Otherwise I have a babyfood cookbook I'm willing to part with! LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks mustang, I registered at Beechnut. I found coupons for $1 off 1 box of their cereal on the internet a while back. I don't know if the address works...
    http://clk4.com/d/cgi-bin/beechnut/barcode.cgi
    Bafyfood cookbook? Too intense for me, lol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh! It does work, and they don't expire till November!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by mustang80
    Go to the Beechnut website and sign up. They email you coupons to print once a month. I've gotten free cereal and when the baby food is on sale, I get it for .22 per jar for the 4 oz ones. Beechnut is all natural. Sometimes the coupons are $1.00 off 8, and they go on sale here for 9 for $3.00. Then I can get them 9 for $2.00. They allow you 4 of these offers so I stock up and get my mom to help me buy them. I stocked up a few months back, and should have enough until she starts the stage 3 foods.

www.beechnut.com

I hope this helps! Otherwise I have a babyfood cookbook I'm willing to part with! LOL
    Is it the superbabyfood one? If so, I would be interested. Let me know what you would like for it.

Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Get out your blender and a jar/can of your fruit or veggies. Dump the can into the blender and blend it up very finely. Put the goop into ice trays and freeze. When they're frozen, pop them out and store in zipper bags in the freezer. When you need one, just nuke it for a bit (double check the temp before feeding it and STIR it to get rid of any hot spots).

I also just used a fork and mashed any mushy-type food I was eating (potatoes, green beans, etc.) very well. they liked that just fine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Lori, It just seems so thick or lumpy for a newbie eater. My homegrown greenbeans had all sorts of chunks in them. The carrots were OK though. I think I made enough green beans to get her through. Peas have that skin on them too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When my kids were young, I bought a book called Feed Me I'm Yours by Vicki Lansky. It was wonderful. I have lent it out many times. It tells you how to make your own baby food plus it has recipes for the kids as they get older. In the back of the book they even have recipes for playdough, crafts, and lots of information. I loved that book when my kids were younger.

yolo

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is a baby food grinder that I think evenflow makes. When I worked at Early Head Start one of our mothers brought her's in for us to use for her son. It grinds the food and at the same time strains the strings and such. I have seen them in catalogs for like $12-13. A baby store would probably have them. Hope this helps. Jeanna