Kids and food waste

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Kids and food waste

I realized yesterday that my daughter wastes SO much food. She'll ask for a piece of bread, then take two bites and drop it somewhere outside, where I'll find it when it is too late to "save" it. Or she will ask for pizza bread (whole wheat with tomato sauce and cheese) and then just eat the cheese off it. She is still very little and I can't exactly explain to her about food waste. Giving her half of a piece of bread does no good, because then she won't eat any of it. (It's too small.)

Aside from the fact that we have a little tyrant on our hands (we're working on it- she has a terrible temper but is very smart, so sometimes we expect more from her than we should from a just-turned-two year old- I would never expect the same from my nephew who is only a month younger than her) do you have any recommendations?

How do/did you handle small children and food waste? I remember something Amy D wrote in the TWG about saving an apple, and I do save what I can, but do you have any other strategies? Of course, anything that CAN go into the compost pile DOES go into the compost pile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm having the same problem...and it's come down to DS not being allowed to move from snack to snack. If he doesn't finish his last one he doesn't get his next. I did start making things smaller but the only way I seem to get it across is having him finish it...sorry if it's not much help...but the tantrum only lasts a few minutes..lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I honestly have to say I swallow it. My kids are all like that. If I don't give them the whole thing, they throw a fit. I am trying to choose my battles, and this is one I quit fighting. It really wasn't worth the headache for me. They are getting a little bit better at it, and hopefully will outgrow it soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have older kids now, so it isn't an issue so much, but I did have better luck with my kids when I stuck more to meals, and maybe one snack in the afternoon, as we ate supper fairly late. Also, I made them eat whatever they were eating, sitting in the booster seat or high chair when they were littler. It does help some. but I know it's hard, as you can't force kids to eat something--it never works. but the above did help, and then they were really hungry at mealtimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Some things I just deal with it and throw it away, like bread or something like that. But other things, I will save. Like when he asks for mac & cheese for lunch then takes two bites. I stick it in the fridge in a covered bowl and serve it to him either for dinner or lunch the next day. He goes in spurts. Some days he'll eat a whole box of mac & cheese by himself, other's only a couple bites.

Same with apples. Some days he'll eat 3 or 4 whole apples. Other days he'll take 1 bite out of 3 or 4 different apples LOL. Then I cut them up & sprinkle them with lemon juice (to keep them from browning) and toss them in the kids' oatmeal or pancakes the next morning at breakfast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

YankeeMom, that is the thing with Maggie- I just never know how much she is oging to eat. I don't want to interfere too much with her natural appetite (making her eat when she is not hungry) and some days she will eat 4 bananas. Then a week later, she will ask for one and only eat one or two bites. Sh is completely unpredictable. (Except chocolate, of course, which she would eat all of all th time, LOL!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by YankeeMom

Same with apples. Some days he'll eat 3 or 4 whole apples. Other days he'll take 1 bite out of 3 or 4 different apples LOL. Then I cut them up & sprinkle them with lemon juice (to keep them from browning) and toss them in the kids' oatmeal or pancakes the next morning at breakfast.
    Excellent idea! or I can toss them with some sugar and cinnamon and saute!