Need all you ladies help!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Need all you ladies help!

My daycare boy, after school, is going to eat me out of house and home! Give me some ideas that will fill him up, without breaking the bank. I'm thinking pb&j sandwich, but he is so picky, he probably won't eat it. I think his mother feeds him junk all the time, I don't think she cooks for him at all.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Personally, I would try and set a menu like 2 weeks in advance. I.E. Monday--goldfish for snack, Tuesday--homemade choc. chip cookies, Wednesday--oranges.

That way he knows what his options are, if he doesn't like it, he can bring something else and you aren't being forced to be the chef catering to his needs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Seeing you are only feeding him snack and not a meal..make sure you tell him to save room for dinner. Then give him a "snack" pb&j is ok if he will eat it. Or pretzels, veggies and dip, muffin, apple w p butter, dry cereal all served with juice or milk. Kids will eat and eat and eat snacks then pick at dinner. SO dont worry about filling him up...that is for dinner time!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm an oatmeal fan when it comes to kids. I found over the years that oatmeal cookies with raisins filled kids up well and we're cheap to make. Also homemade granola and trailmixes went over well. I'd throw in a handful of m&ms to spark intrest and they usually ate it all. Also cans of inexpensive pnut mixes from Walgreens or CVS made great adds. Rice Krispie bars also went over good If I had some choclate chips hanging around I'd melt them and dip just the end of a skinny krispy bar in it. I'd cut the bars in skinny fingers rather than big hunky things. maybe one inch wide by two inches long. They went further and didn't get wasted by only being half eaten. I also made a garbage cookie which one boy (Jessie) called from Afganistain and asked me to send to him as it reminded him of home. They have oats, pnut butter, chips(whatever type you've got) nuts, raisins and whatever eles you've got laying around thrown in. Does 3 things,
    1. Fills empty hole in kid
    2. Is good for junk food kids
    3. Fairly inexpensive to make.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

there's always popcorn, if he'll eat it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! I'm really not all that sure that his mother is even cooking him dinner. Last night she went out=her and her boyfriend split up three days ago!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had the same problem with a little girl I would watch about once a week - she's 9 now. I would make something for dinner (i think the one time it was like a Tex mex pasta) and she really didn;t like it. Then another time I told her we were going to have subs... she thought we were going out for them but I made them at home. I know her mom seldom cooks. I really don't know how fast food can be good for anyone, let alone a little kid. And she has Adhd, which I believe can be affected by what she eats. You'd think she'd be more aware of it, but she's not. And, we would walk to the store (mind you I can see the parking lot of the store from my front porch - thru the graveyard) and she would seriously lag behind and not want to walk. She's one of these kids who eat junk and sit in front of tv or gamecube all day.
    As far as snacks go, maybe something semi-healthy? maybe some rice krispy treats, homemade granola bars?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by sdrjeolsen View Post
    there's always popcorn, if he'll eat it.
    I was thinking of popcorn, too. This should fill him up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree with the person who suggested making him (and his mom) aware of what is coming before hand. After that, if they didn't prepare I would do what a mom I know did when faced with a picky eater.

She would tell the child in question they didn't have to eat it if they didn't want to but they were not getting anything else. The child in question was free to change their mind at anytime until the next scheduled meal/snack and she would feed them. She made it a point not to serve things that most children generally can't stand like liver or canned beets.

It was pretty effective. She didn't punish but neither did she cater. If the child was truly hungry they would change their mind and if not they forgot about it. She had to weather a temper tantrum or two but once that was over things generally went smoothly.

Of course, you would want to discuss this with the other mom and get her input, but stand your ground about not catering. Children who are picky eaters out of willfullness or being overly spoiled can hold a whole house (and budget) hostage if you let them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm making him a pb&j for after school snack, and I'll give him a small handful of cheez it crackers with it. I am not getting paid to make him dinner, so that is all he is getting is an after school snack.

I'm seriously wondering about this mother! Last night, when she came to get him, she wanted to know if I would watch him in the evening once in a while. Then proceeded to say that her friend wanted her to go out. I told her sorry, but I need at least a day or two of advance notice before I'll do evenings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome to the world of daycare! I too have a home daycare, and snacks are always a problem, the school age kids will eat you out of house & home!
    I do a weekly menu, snacks included, so they can read what we are having, I try to fill them up with healthy stuff, but it can be expensive. Are you on the federal food program via your local childcare agency? It helps to cover the expense of your food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not yet. I'm still filling out my application. I don't need a license here in Florida. Hopefully I'll get it done soon! Luckily this morning he said he likes pb&j, and I have a whole stockpile of that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I pre baggie all my daycare snacks and I put them in a drawer. Usually pretzels, bags of popcorn, animal crackers, graham crackers. And everyone is allowed one for snack. Now if they are still hungry, which usually not cause all they are looking for is a sugar or a junk high, I will let them get something else. Also I make this great snack mix, and baggie is. Generic Brand on everything. Fruit loops, goldfish,honey nut cheerios, choc chips, pretzel sticks and usually as it gets eaten I will add what ever left over cereal I have in the cereal containers. Keeps everything moving and fresh. Let me know if you try it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also have a round cutter outer from pampered chef. I make pbjs and then cut them and freeze them in a bag, they thaw real fast and are just like the expensive ones in the store. Also we have been using my sandwich machine alot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would feel horrible if his mother didn't feed him. I think I would talk to her first. If that didn't get me anywhere I would let him eat something cheap but filling like spaghetti. He may not even care how good it is.
    There are just so many bad parents out there you never know.