Lucnhes, for toddlers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Lucnhes, for toddlers?

what do you fix for lunch? i have a 3 year old who likes spagettios, oddles of noodles, chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. he also wont eat what i fix for dinner.

how can i get him to eat the same dinner?
    what offer lunches can i get him that are cheap b/c spagettios and nuggets arent.

thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My dd never did like meat of any kind. Does he like spagetti, if not the sauce, then some with butter and parm cheese on it. DD used to like that. How about sandwiches? PB&J, or bologna, ham or turkey? Crackers with cheese slices. Noodle soup? One of dd's favorites is a can of chick broth, with cooked egg noodles added. I'll keep thinking about it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about this... hotdogs cut up into mashed potatoes... it's called "Pennies from Heaven" at my house.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by tammy88 View Post
    how can i get him to eat the same dinner?
    Honestly? Feed him what you make for dinner with the expectation that he'll eat it. Don't give him special foods, and don't give him snacks after he doesn't eat what you serve. Don't force him to eat any more than one small taste to try each dish you make. Don't battle with him to eat what you serve. He may skip a meal or two, but he won't starve himself, and he'll learn to be a good eater. It may feel a little bit mean if you're used to giving him what he likes, but it is really a gift to teach him to enjoy a wide variety of foods.

Our 10yr old was a picky eater (he didn't even like pizza because he liked only single ingredient foods -- not things mixed together or touching!). He had some sad dinners when he only ate one small bite of each dish, but usually, by the 3rd-4th time he'd taste something, he'd decide it was ok and eat a full serving of it. Today, he is a great eater! My kids eat liver, broccoli, spinach -- everything. And, believe it or not, he's actually thanked me for teaching him to try and enjoy different foods after we talked about why one of his cousins will only eat McDonalds or hotdogs. (No kidding -- his parents go through the drive-thru for almost every meal!!)

One thing that may help him to enjoy dinners is to help you make it. My picky eater was always more enthusiastic to try a casserole, soup or other dish that he helped me make -- and Hubby and I always raved about foods he helped stir together. He still loves being in the kitchen and makes the best baked mac and cheese of anyone I know!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Something my mom always did with us was that she would not force us to eat something. However, she didn't make us a special dinner either. So if we didn't eat dinner, we went without but we didn't get a snack either until we ate dinner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like my almost 3 yr old!
    He'd be quite happy on an all liquid diet, supplemented with a few veggies & snack food!

Thanks for the advice girls!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I AGREE

Quote Originally Posted by Odilia View Post
    Honestly? Feed him what you make for dinner with the expectation that he'll eat it. Don't give him special foods, and don't give him snacks after he doesn't eat what you serve. Don't force him to eat any more than one small taste to try each dish you make. Don't battle with him to eat what you serve. He may skip a meal or two, but he won't starve himself, and he'll learn to be a good eater. It may feel a little bit mean if you're used to giving him what he likes, but it is really a gift to teach him to enjoy a wide variety of foods.

Our 10yr old was a picky eater (he didn't even like pizza because he liked only single ingredient foods -- not things mixed together or touching!). He had some sad dinners when he only ate one small bite of each dish, but usually, by the 3rd-4th time he'd taste something, he'd decide it was ok and eat a full serving of it. Today, he is a great eater! My kids eat liver, broccoli, spinach -- everything. And, believe it or not, he's actually thanked me for teaching him to try and enjoy different foods after we talked about why one of his cousins will only eat McDonalds or hotdogs. (No kidding -- his parents go through the drive-thru for almost every meal!!)

One thing that may help him to enjoy dinners is to help you make it. My picky eater was always more enthusiastic to try a casserole, soup or other dish that he helped me make -- and Hubby and I always raved about foods he helped stir together. He still loves being in the kitchen and makes the best baked mac and cheese of anyone I know!
    I AGREE TOTALLY!!!! PICKY KIDS MAKE PICKY ADULTS, STOP IT NOW, IT IS MUCH EASIER WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG, HE WON'T STARVE.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to try this with my daughter. She never eats what we are eatting. I always end up making us dinner and then making her a small seperate meal on the side. She's 5. My question is this, I can easily say no to snacks/desserts if she doesn't eat what I serve her (she rarely asks for them anyway) but what about her milk? she always has a glass right before bed.... Should I still give her this or will she just not bother iwth dinner since she figures she'll get her milk (which tends to fill her up, I can't give it to her before or with dinner or she doesn't eat).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

First off, I have watched kids and mine own for years. Some came in picky but most of the time, it didn't last long.
    ~The one thing I did learn is that children eat a smaller portion than adults. I used to over whelm the plate, now I do it in their size and then if they want more I will give them more. That works great at dinner too.
    ~Also we all drink water here and milk is for the meals or a snack. Seems to keep everyone more focused on the meal and less on what is the sugar drink.
    ~some of the favs here for lunch are, hotdogs cut into mac and cheese( I make the mac and cheese (3 for $1.) in the micro. (4cups water and dump box in, nuke 10 min. I put my bowl in a bigger bowl in case of spill over) Then I drain a bit. Add the cheese and a little of the drain water) no one misses the milk or the butter.
    ~I also use my sandwich maker to make hot pocket kinda deals.
    ~baby carrots and ranch
    ~wraps (pbj, balogna and cheese)
    ~casadeas
    I guess I could go on forever. Let me know if you try any. Good luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

From the deli I will have them cut me a chunk of turkey and ham, not sliced like normal. At home I cut the chunk up into bite size pieces like what you might find on a salad bar. My dd who is 3 doesn't like bread, but she eats wraps. I use the meat and some shredded cheese and shredded carrots to make her wraps. I also use the meat and some cheese and whole grain crackers for lunchable kind of things. She will raw veggies fruit on the side. I will toss some diced turkey into ramen noodles. I have never catered to the picky eater, my kids have always had to take atleast one bite of each thing on their plate. The number of bites depends on their age, one bite for each year. My older kids don't even count the bites anymore, as they know that their age would have them eating just about the whole thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy0906 View Post
    I'm going to try this with my daughter. She never eats what we are eatting. I always end up making us dinner and then making her a small seperate meal on the side. She's 5. My question is this, I can easily say no to snacks/desserts if she doesn't eat what I serve her (she rarely asks for them anyway) but what about her milk? she always has a glass right before bed.... Should I still give her this or will she just not bother iwth dinner since she figures she'll get her milk (which tends to fill her up, I can't give it to her before or with dinner or she doesn't eat).
    Milk at bedtime is probably not a good idea...our pediatrician recomended only water. Please listen the the parents above who are telling you to stop serving a seperate meal. I go thru this with 3 of my kids and it never gets better, especially since the 3 of them don't like the same things! We are currently telling the kids...this is what you get, take it or leave it...it's tough to go thru but it should be easier at his age when you still have more control.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OH trust me I'm going to listen lol but why no milk at bedtime??? She has her milk (warm), brushes her teeth and goes to bed. Then she has a glass of water next to her bed for the night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've always given my little ones things like this for lunch:

leftover veggies
    raw veggies w/dip (ranch or veggie dip)
    cottage cheese (you can add preserves or fruit)
    crackers with cheese slices (we buy unshredded when it's on sale and slice it up)
    lunch meat cut up
    raisins all the time! They are cheap and healthy!
    noodles (make your own garlic noodles w/ butter and some garlic salt!) or have ramen noodles
    soup (when it's on sale)

Hope this helps a little!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hm, maybe some more ideas here....

cream cheese & jam sandwiches
    cheese, crackers and cut up fruit with dip (yogurt w/honey, or pb w/maple syrup)
    english muffin pizzas
    cheese quesadillas
    mini pita pockets stuffed with: pb & banana slice, tuna w/sweet pickle, herb cream cheese w/shredded carrot
    hummus and veggies to dip
    grilled cheese sandwiches
    pb sandwich w/ shredded apple or carrot (or both!), raisins, banana - get creative - often made in a wrap instead of bread for a change
    tomato garden veg soup w/pasta spirals and shredded cheese in it
    mac n' cheese w/corn, peas and carrots mixed in

I'll second the idea to have DD help create lunch if possible, as well as have her help pick the menu (from the choices you offer, of course!). Even making a cute menu with pictures can help ignite some enthusiasm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy0906 View Post
    OH trust me I'm going to listen lol but why no milk at bedtime??? She has her milk (warm), brushes her teeth and goes to bed. Then she has a glass of water next to her bed for the night.
    I think the no milk at bedtime is more for people who put their toddlers to bed with a sippy cup of milk. The milk pools behind their teeth and causes decay. I think if she brushes after, it wouldn't be a big deal.JMHO

As for her eating the dinner you prepare for the rest of the family, I pretty much agree with the other ladies. We require our kids to take at least 2 bites of everything. It also helps in the beginning if you serve at least one thing you know she will eat and slowly add new things.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast