Pureed veggies or fruits in a recipe?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Pureed veggies or fruits in a recipe?

Does anyone have any recipes where you use a veggie puree instead of something else? There's that new cookbook that's popular where Jerry Seinfeld's wife substitutes purees in things like brownies and mac and cheese. I'm thinking of buying the book, but thought I"d ask you first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know alot of people used purreed carrots in their carrot cake. Other than that I guess I can't help you. sorry

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have the book and to be honest there aren't that many receips in it. It's not really substituing it's more like adding it to. If you want to know more pm me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have that cookbook and let me tell you I LOVE IT!!!!!
    I don't necessary use all the recipes but it have loved everyone I have tried.

I have found you can put pureed butternut squash or sweet potato in almost main dish and it will be delicious!! Mac and cheese I now make with califlower and or squash depending on what I have in the freezer.

I do LOVE this cookbook, my kids eat way more veggies then they every have before and don't even know it.

Eileen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree, they are tasty. We have liked everything that I have made. BUT if I person didn't want to spend the money on the book you could just add a 1/2 cup of puree to your favorit recipe and I am sure it would tast just as good.
    The main idea is to add a small enough amount of puree that you dont taste it.

Atleast thats my take on it.
    Tonight I am cooking the lasanga

toile
    Tourist

I have the cookbook and love everything about it EXCEPT the pureed part.

She really has some healthy kid food, snacks, lunches,meals in there.
    I use the book like a reg cookbook and skip the puree part.
    Plus I got so sick of pureeing when my kids do eat veggies anyways etc..

Its a really cute book, laid out well, and the ingredients can be found if you look hard enough.

I also believe the recipes are frugal.

I feel bad for her too because apparently a law suit has officially ben filed against her regarding the book

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been trying to add purees to recipes anyway, but I'm very interested in the idea of pureed spinach in the brownies and other strange sounding recipes. I may just break down and buy it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Tomorrow morning I will add a puree to my pancakes and see if I can sneak it past the kids! What puree would be good? Do you just add it instead of some of the liquid?

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have it--so far I haven't used it.

Maybe you could check and see if your local library has it? If you like the recipes, you could then see about buying it!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Some of the recipes are on the Oprah website:
    http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/food/j...pes_main.jhtml

I really love this book. It's so cute I haven't used any of the meal recipes but I've made about 1/2 dozen of the baked goods. The spinach brownies really are good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got the cookbook for Christmas but just haven't had the time to sit and read through it. I have a friend who has used many of the recipes and she loves it. Her 14 year old dd is incredibly picky but so far she has been able to sneak several things in that her dd has no clue about.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i don't have the book but I sneek veggies in to. I don't follow recipes. I just try to keep the color families together.

For example, If I'm making spaghetti sauce I add red bell pepper, carrots, and onion, along with tomatoes of course. The pepper and carrots look bright orange before you add them but they mix together nicely.

That is what I made last night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't go as far as it sounds the book does but... I have been doing low fat baking for years and replace the shortening/butter/oil in most of recipes with unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana. The banana tends to make the finished product a little drier, but not bad. For baked goods you do need to refrigerate or freeze them because the fruit tends to go bad if you leave then out on the counter.

I've heard you can also used baby food fruit or veggies to replace the fat or prune puree. Sunsweet also has a fat substitute that is a prune product.
    Last edited by quiltergirl; 01-24-2008 at 12:06 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm really not sure where I picked this up, but....

SNEAKY CHEF RECIPES:

SNEAKY CHEF PB&J MUFFINS
    Makes 8 large muffins (or 16 mini muffins)

1 cup Flour Blend (1/3 cup whole grain flour, 1/3 cup white flour, 1/3 cup wheat germ)
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 cup canola oil
    3/4 cup Orange Puree (see recipe)
    3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
    8 heaping tsp favorite jam*

Preheat oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with paper liners. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined, then whisk in the oil, Orange Puree and peanut butter. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until flour is just moistened (don't over-mix or the muffins will be dense). Scoop about two Tbs of batter into the large muffin cups until half full. Place a heaping tsp of jam in the center of each muffin. Cover the jam with another 2 Tbs or so of batter, filling the cups just over the top. If you're using mini muffin cups, scale back quantities to fit into the smaller sized cups. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
    Note: Jelly doesn't work as well as the thicker variety of jam; jelly just disappears into the muffins.

SNEAKY CHEF BOXED MAC AND CHEESE
    There's not a kids' menu in the United States that doesn't offer some variation of macaroni and cheese - the favorite - if not the most popular - of American comfort foods. Kraft now sells more than one million boxes every day! The beauty, for the purposes of this book, of even the packaged version is that its cheesy creaminess offers ample opportunity for sneaky chefs to slip in extra nutrition that even the toughest little critics won't detect. Try to keep a straight face as your kids beg for more of these surprisingly healthy variations.
    SNEAKY TIP: Yellow macaroni and cheese usually contains yellow food dye, whereas the white version does not. If your child insists on yellow, you can add a slice of yellow American or cheddar cheese and a dash of paprika to the white cheese sauce, which will help safely change the color to yellow without affecting the taste.
    Each of the nutritional boosters listed here have been kid tested and have proven to be undetectable in taste, texture and color. Start by adding the least amount recommended of just one of the nutritional boosters listed below. Add a little more each time you serve this dish (which is served in our house every day!).
    * 2 to 4 Tbs White Puree
    Prepare macaroni and cheese according to directions on package. Add White Puree into the cheese sauce, mixing until well blended. If sauce becomes too dry, simply add an extra Tbs of milk and extra cheese (See below).
    * 2 to 4 Tbs Orange Puree
    Prepare macaroni and cheese according to directions on package. Add Orange Puree into the cheese sauce, mixing until well blended. This one works best with an extra slice of American cheese or 1/4 cup of grated cheddar melted into the sauce to help mask the carrots, which have a bit more distinguishable taste, in the puree.

SNEAKY CHEF TOMATO SAUCE
    Makes about 4 cups sauce

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 onion, finely minced or pureed
    1 clove garlic, finely minced
    1/4 cup Orange Puree (see recipe)
    1/4 cup White Puree (see recipe)
    1 can, about 28 ounces, whole peeled tomatoes with liquid
    1 6-ounce can tomato paste
    1/2 tsp salt
    Freshly ground pepper

Place oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onions and garlic until they are slightly translucent but not brown, stirring occasionally. Mix in the Orange and White Purees, tomatoes, and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until sauce thickens. Transfer sauce to a blender and puree in batches, or use a handheld blender inserted directly in the pot to puree sauce. Stir in salt and a few grinds of pepper, to taste. Use immediately or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 6 months.
    Sneaky Tip: if you're short on time, simply mix a couple of Tbs of both the Orange Puree and White Puree into your child's favorite bottled tomato sauce!

SNEAKY CHEF POWER PIZZA

1 store bought pizza dough or 4 "Greek style" pocketless pitas (whole wheat preferred)
    3/4 cup store-bought tomato sauce
    3 Tbs Orange Puree (see recipe)
    1 to 2 cups low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
    Optional extra boost: sliced mushrooms, onions, sweet peppers, or artichoke hearts

Preheat oven to 400F and preheat a pizza stone, if using one, or spray a baking sheet with oil.
    Stretch pizza dough, or roll out with floured rolling pin on floured surface, to form a pie and transfer it to the stone or baking sheet. If using pocketless pitas, place them on the prepared baking sheet. Combine tomato sauce with the Orange Puree. Mix well. Spread 1/2 to 1 cup of the sauce mixture across the large pizza dough (use only 1/4 cup of sauce for each pita), then top with about 1 cup of mozzarella (use about 1/2 cup of cheese per pita). Cover and refrigerate at this point, or bake for 15 to 20 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned. Allow to cool a few minutes, then cut into triangles and serve. Makes 1 large pizza or 4 smaller pizzas

SNEAKY CHEF BRAINY BROWNIES

6 Tbs unsalted butter
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    2 large eggs
    2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup Purple Puree (see recipe)
    1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs Flour Blend (equal parts whole wheat, wheat germ, and white flour)
    1/4 cup rolled oats, ground in a food processor
    1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    Butter or non-stick cooking spray
    Optional extra boost: 1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter or spray only the bottom, not the sides, of a 13-by- 9-inch or 9-inch square baking pan.
    Melt the butter and chocolate chips together in a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water (or in a microwave, checking every 15 seconds). Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool a bit. Meanwhile, in another bowl, stir together the eggs, vanilla, sugar, and Purple Puree. Combine this purple egg mixture with the cooled chocolate mixture.
    In a mixing bowl, stir together Flour Blend, cocoa powder, oats, and salt. Add this to the chocolate mixture and blend thoroughly. Mix in the chopped walnuts, if using, then pour the entire mixture into the baking pan.
    Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in pan before cutting the brownies and use a plastic or butter knife. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
    Keeps for a week in the refrigerator, covered tightly.

SNEAKY CHEF PURPLE PUREE

3 cups raw baby spinach leaves (1 cup frozen chopped spinach, or frozen chopped collard greens)
    1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (no syrup or sugar added)
    1/2 tsp lemon juice
    1/2 Tbs water

If using raw spinach, thoroughly wash it, even if the package says "prewashed." Bring spinach or collards and water to boil in a medium pot. Turn heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. If using frozen blueberries, quickly rinse them under cold water to thaw a little, and then drain.
    Fill the bowl of your food processor with the blueberries and cooked spinach, (or collards) along with the lemon juice and 1 Tbs of water, and puree on high until as smooth as possible. Stop occasionally to push top contents to bottom. If necessary, use a second Tbs of water to make a fairly smooth puree.
    This amount of spinach and blueberries makes only about 1 cup of puree. Double the recipe if you want to store another cup of the puree. It will store in the refrigerator up to 2 days, or you can freeze 1/4 cup portions in sealed plastic bags or small plastic containers.

SNEAKY CHEF ORANGE PUREE

1 medium sweet potato or yam, peeled and rough chopped;
    3 medium to large carrots, peeled and sliced into thick chunks;
    2-3 Tbs water

In a medium pot, cover carrots and potatoes with cold water and boil for about 20 minutes until yams, and especially the carrots, are very tender. If the carrots aren't thoroughly cooked, they'll leave telltale little nuggets of vegetables, which will reveal their presence (a gigantic NO-NO for the sneaky chef). Drain the potatoes and carrots and put them in the bowl of food processor with two Tbs of water. Puree on high until smooth; no pieces of carrots or potatoes should remain. Stop occasionally to push the contents from the top to the bottom. If necessary, use the third Tbs of water to make a smooth puree, but the less water the better. This makes about 2 cups of puree. Double the recipe if you want to store another cup of puree. Store in refrigerator up to 3 days, or freeze one-quarter cup portions in sealed baggies or small plastic containers.

SNEAKY CHEF WHITE PUREE

2 cups cauliflower, cut into florets
    2 small to medium zucchini, peeled and rough chopped
    1 tsp fresh lemon juice
    1-2 Tbs water, if necessary

Steam cauliflower in a vegetable steamer over 2 inches of water, using a tightly-covered pot, for about 10 to 12 minutes until very tender. Alternatively, place cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl , cover with water, and microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes until very tender. While waiting for the cauliflower to finish steaming, start to pulse the raw peeled zucchini with the lemon juice only (no water at this point). Drain the cooked cauliflower. Working in batches if necessary, add it to the pulsed zucchini in the bowl of the food processor with one Tbs of water. Puree on high until smooth. Stop occasionally and push contents from the top to the bottom. If necessary, use the second Tbs of water to make a smooth (but not wet) puree. Makes about 2 cups of puree. Double recipe if you want to store even more, which can be done in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, or freeze 1/4 cup portions in sealed plastic bags or the small plastic containers.

SNEAKY CHEF WHITE BEAN PUREE

1 can (15-oz) white beans (great northern, navy, butter or cannellini)
    1 to 2 Tbs water

Rinse and drain the beans and put in the bowl of your food processor. Pulsing in on/off turns, puree the drained beans with just 1 Tbs of water in processor until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down sides of bowl. The goal is a smooth, but not wet, puree. (You are aiming for the consistency of peanut butter.) If necessary, thin with a little more water by one tspful at a time until there are no flecks of whole beans visible. Store in the refrigerator up to 3 days, or freeze 1/4 cup portions in sealed plastic bags or small plastic containers. Makes about 1 cup of puree. Double this recipe if you want to store another cup of puree.
    NOTE: Can use dry beans. If you are starting with dry beans, soak 1 cup for an hour, then cook according to instructions.

Hope this helps. If I remember where I found them I'll let you know.....

P.S. I have not tried these!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is another book similiar to Seinfeld's called The Sneaky Chef - Missy Lapine - I got it out of the library and I think it has more recipes. HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast