The 7 Healthiest Burger Toppings, Ranked
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default The 7 Healthiest Burger Toppings, Ranked

"From gut-healing to inflammation-fighting, burger toppings can pack in a ton of benefits. Here are the top healthy toppings, ranked:"

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articl...anked-them-all

I think they forgot a few. I prefer tomato slices over ketchup, and I bet it's a lot healthier. I also recently discovered olive oil mayo and do agree it is much lower in fat than the original.

What do you like on your burger? Anyone doing turkey or fish burgers this weekend?
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Most of that stuff didn't look very good. The article looked more like an ad for organic this and grass fed that.

How about a portobello burger?

Agree about tomatoes. Gotta have at least one slice. Even good in quesadillas, though messy.

She left out sprouts, too. Very healthy, cheap, and easy to DIY, and tasty on sandwiches.

I like lettuce, romaine and iceberg, not usually at the same time.

I agree about red onion, especially sliced thick, brushed with oil, and grilled.

I don't usually eat on burgers, because unless it's blue cheese, I can't really taste it so why spend the calories.

Tried the olive oil mayo. NO. I like mayo, but usually go with wasabi sauce or horseradish sauce.

Catsup is bad. It's loaded with corn syrup and salt. Condiments in general are not good for heart health. That was about the first thing our GP and Husby's dietician warned us about after his heart attack. I like catsup and especially hot catsup. Yes, I do know better.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great ideas SD! I like mushrooms both in and on burgers. Mushrooms are a good "stretcher" for beef. Sometimes for DH I'll saute mushrooms and onions together and serve with a slice of swiss. I eat mine without the cheese.

Another thing I like to do to add flavor is add fresh garlic to the meat mix, and garlic butter on the toasted buns. I know butter isn't good for everyone, but there are substitutes.

We tried avocado on a burger once, not a fan. I like it in other places. I like horseradish, too, but usually go for the plain kind that does not have mayo or sour cream in it.

What did you not like about the olive oil mayo? Aside from the softer texture I cannot tell the difference. I buy Hellmann's.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

By mushroom burgers, I meant the mushroom IS the burger, no meat. Mushrooms are good on and in meat burgers, too.

It's been a few years but I think the olive oil mayo just didn't seem to have any flavor. It was Hellmann's. Normally I buy Hellmann's light.

It's taken years but I'm finally starting to like avocados. We had them in salad recently and they were so good. Our favorite is on crackers with green Tabasco. I like them on sandwiches, too. Wish they had a lower pts value for WW. The oil makes them high in calories and pts, even though it's healthy oil.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Love garlic. I add garlic powder to all kinds of stuff. It's sort of a go-to instead of salt.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have heard of thick sliced eggplant being used as "burger" patties, too. I don't mind eggplant, but it lacks flavor for me, and often the texture is wrong. I won't go out of my way for it unless it is made into baba ganoush.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never done much with eggplant. It's so expensive to buy and when I grew some, a critter got it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

now I want a burger! love mushrooms and onions too. burgers aren't meant to be real healthy lol need good beef though and not lean or it is dry. love a black and blue burger mushrooms, fried onions and blue cheese. I need toppings on my burgers don't want straight meat. I like just reg hellmans real mayo light is full of starch as a sub for the fat. Like avocados but on salads or just easy way my mom did split in half fill the middle with salad dressing and just eat it like that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hellmann's light has <1 gram of carbs per serving. That's low enough for me! &#x1f642;

I need to get these mushroom burgers made up. They look so good! I need to change the recipe a little so it fits better with WW.

https://pin.it/n3t5wmuttc6gd7

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just ran the numbers on the shroomburger recipe. Even with the parmesan and bread crumbs, it's still only 3 pts. No adjustments needed!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The original article is kind of weird. As SD mentioned, it seemed like an add for organic and grass fed food. There really has been no evidence that organic food has a different nutritional value than non-organic.

Putting down regular lettuce seems a bit odd. Even if it is not adding much nutrition, it is not adding fat, sugar, salt, etc. So that makes it healthier than most toppings right there.

They did not mention tomato slices either. I like mushrooms on my burger, but since the burger places grill them the good for you aspect is questionable. The mushrooms are healthy, but grilling them adds extra fat.

I am not completely sold on the whole "good fats" thing. Yes they are better than the "bad fats." But they are still fats and high in calorie. If you are trying to lose (or not gain) weight, fats are still not good. I think even a skinny person would probably be better off avoiding excess fats.

I want to add a couple more to the list. I have had salsa topped burgers before, they are pretty good. I once had a "Hawaiian burger" that was topped with a pineapple ring. It is an odd combination, but it works. If you like pineapple on pizza, you might like it.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    The original article is kind of weird. As SD mentioned, it seemed like an add for organic and grass fed food. .
    Yeah, it's hard to find good blogs and articles that don't rely on some form of advertising, like the click-through links on that site. I try to link the ones that at last have good info on them, or something worth discussing.

Use it up, Wear it out,

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Husby ate the frozen shroomburger. It was crumbly but he dug it out of a bowl with a knife. I will try freezing a batch. If they all crumble, I will make sloppy joes from them. The crumbling was the only problem, no getting watery or anything else. I used HM wheat bread crumbs instead of white panko, so maybe the mix needed a little more moisture to hold together better. I used an ice cream scoop to put these in the pan and then flattened them with a spoon. The method in the recipe seemed too messy for me.

Good burgers can be healthy. It can take some research to find the best healthy recipes though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Even things I do not agree with have something worth discussing. Sometimes that is more of an avenue for discussion than things I agree with. After all if I agree with everything, what more can I add? "Yeah, what she said!" or maybe "Well she said everything I was thinking of but better than I could" or maybe just "It is good to know someone else thinks the same way as you."

Opposing views can make me think more about what my views are and why they are my views. Although this only works if the original author seems reasonable. If the person comes across as an idiot or a troll, I don't consider their views.

Of course not every place is discussion friendly. Many places on the internet people get worked up if you do not agree with what they are saying.

It is hard to get away from blogs and articles that do not have some kind of affiliate links. Many of the people who have an active blog are professional bloggers. So they need to have some links to monetize their blog. They make a living from blogging or at least enough money that it could be coincided a part time job. People who are blogging just for fun are often blogging less often.

I once submitted a few articles for one of those write articles for money places. But your earning was based on affiliated links so you had to stick some in that were related to the article. A wrote a few articles but it just felt forced and I did not really feel good about the articles.

Some people are good at weaving the links in. I guess it depends on the products too. If someone is doing a book review, a link to the book seems natural. Other times it seems more forced. But occasionally, it kind of feels like the whole article was written just as an excuse to sell products. I guess it is all kind of subjective.
    KathyB