Canadian Federal Election Oct. 14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Canadian Federal Election Oct. 14

Hello fellow Canadians,

Since we too have a federal election coming up, what have you been doing to prepare for it?

Myself? Thus far, not too much. I havent seen any election platforms being released yet so its hard to make a decision. I have a problem voting Green as they wish to stop hunting (which I think is silly) because they think that the natural order should weed out herds rather than hunting. I'd love to vote Green but this is just a huge no-no for me.

Liberal? Not sure how I feel about Dion; I do like his ideas on a carbon tax but thus far, he hasnt fully convinced me yet.

Conservatives? Nah, I cant stand Harper. Lowering the GST was the stupidest thing he could have done as its the fairest tax out there. I would have prefered to see he take the equivalent of the 2% cut he gave us and have put that towards social programs. And his daycare proposoal was a joke so thanks to him, when I have kids, I wont get money for daycare assistance as the $1200 was a one year deal.

NDP? Havent heard too much from them and I dont really know what they stand for so I cant make a decision about them yet.

What are the rest of my fellow Canucks doing to prepare for the election?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not Canadian but I hope your election goes smoother than ours.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
    I have a problem voting Green as they wish to stop hunting (which I think is silly) because they think that the natural order should weed out herds rather than hunting. I'd love to vote Green but this is just a huge no-no for me.
    They had a good platform in the last fed. election (or was it the one before?). I haven't even looked at it this time. If that's what they think about hunting, I don't agree. We can't depend on natural selection to weed out herds when we've already killed off all the predators.

Liberal? Not sure how I feel about Dion; I do like his ideas on a carbon tax but thus far, he hasnt fully convinced me yet.
    Dion may be the smartest man in the world for all I know, but he certainly isn't capable of getting his ideas across. I'm not sure it matters though, he only gets one vote in Parliament, just like everyone else. I don't think a charismatic leader is important, but it would certainly be nice to know what their plans are. I wish coverage would focus more on platform than personality.

Conservatives? Nah, I cant stand Harper. Lowering the GST was the stupidest thing he could have done as its the fairest tax out there. I would have prefered to see he take the equivalent of the 2% cut he gave us and have put that towards social programs. And his daycare proposoal was a joke so thanks to him, when I have kids, I wont get money for daycare assistance as the $1200 was a one year deal.
    Which $1200? The $100 per month UCCB is permanent. I would like to see the GST scrapped completely as it costs as much to administer as it takes in. If thats not possible, raise it to the point where it's actually profitable and get rid of the income tax. Harper frightens me and I wouldn't want him to have a majority, but I think they've been effective as a minority. The balance sheets look good, I don't think it was a bad time to lower taxes, but I doubt there will be many more in the near future.

NDP? Havent heard too much from them and I dont really know what they stand for so I cant make a decision about them yet.
    That would, IMNSHO, be a complete disaster. I despise Jack Layton, and if I hear him end another sentence with the words "oil companies and the big banks" I just might shoot my television (and/or radio). He apparently is unaware of the hundreds of thousands of Canadians who are employed by "oil companies and big banks", of the fact that the oil industry is the backbone of our economy, or that our banking industry is one of the most stable in the world. I can't imagine what would happen to the country if he was given the chance to flush those industries down the toilet.
    Last edited by monkeywrangler71; 09-22-2008 at 01:10 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You forgot the Bloc Quebecois!!!

Registered User northernmom2boys's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have elections as often as we change our panties in this country
    I honestly dont know who I am voting for

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You only get the 1200 until they are 7yrs old
    the baby bonus is till 18 isnt it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
    You forgot the Bloc Quebecois!!!
    Yes, but we also didn't mention the Western Block, Newfoundland First Party, the Libertarians, Marxist-Leninists, Communists, Marijuana, Animal Alliance, Rhino party...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by northernmom2boys View Post
    You only get the 1200 until they are 7yrs old
    the baby bonus is till 18 isnt it
    It's under six, so you lose it on their sixth birthday not their 7th. Yes, CCB is until 18.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    Yes, but we also didn't mention the Western Block, Newfoundland First Party, the Libertarians, Marxist-Leninists, Communists, Marijuana, Animal Alliance, Rhino party...
    But someone did mention Green... They have 0 seats. Pathetic.
    If they had a good platform they should at least have elected one candidate.

"The Bloc is currently the third largest party in the Canadian House of Commons."
    51 Seats
    1,553,201 Votes
    10.5% of popular vote in Canada
    42.1% of popular vote in Quebec

Though it does not elect the Prime Minister, the House of Commons indirectly controls the premiership. By convention, the Prime Minister is answerable to, and must maintain the support of, the House of Commons. Thus, whenever the office of Prime Minister falls vacant, the Governor General is supposed to appoint the person most likely to command the support of the House—normally, the leader of the largest party in the Lower House, although the system allows a coalition of two or more parties. This has not happened in the Canadian federal parliament, but has occurred in Canadian provinces.
    [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_House_of_Commons"]Link[/ame]

Now...when you have a minority government... It is hard to maintain power.
    It will be interesting to see the results. A Minority government is always better. It keeps a good balance and checks against the party in "limited power".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71

But someone did mention Green... They have 0 seats. Pathetic.
    If they had a good platform they should at least have elected one candidate.
    Actually they do have one - Green party announces its first federal member of Parliament

I'm looking at parties that actually have a chance to do some good in this country...somehow I dont think the Marijuana party will actually gain any real support.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Actually they do have one - Green party announces its first federal member of Parliament

I'm looking at parties that actually have a chance to do some good in this country...somehow I dont think the Marijuana party will actually gain any real support.
    Ah right...one guy that switch parties.

I forgot how tightly the liberal and Green party are united.
    That member of parliement was not elected as a green party. Out of 300 runnings across the nation they still elected 0 at the last election.

May reached a deal with Dion in 2007 to not run a Green candidate in his Montreal riding, and he agreed not to run a Liberal against her in the Nova Scotia riding of Central Nova, where she is taking on Defence Minister Peter MacKay.
    May has been accused, even within her own party, of being too cosy with Dion.
    She has said several times she thinks Dion would make a good prime minister, sparking criticism she is sending a mixed message: vote Green, but not in ridings where there is potential for a Liberal to unseat a Conservative.
    Source: Canada.com

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope I don't come across wrong here. The only reason I would vote for the bloc is to decentralize power in the Canadian government and maintain a minority government. This in the long run would lower taxation.

When governments are in minority it is harder to pass legislation that is silly or favors special interests groups.

-Each province is better placed to manage their resources than a central place like Ottawa. Think of it as being Master of your domain. Think of it as being able to do what you want in your turf.

-Canada has many overlaps (inefficiencies) in government that is Federal and Provincial. I do not believe in Central planning. When you give a buck to Ottawa you will see only 30 cents coming back. 20 Cents goes to pay life pension to lawmakers + administration. 30 Cents goes back to other provinces and the other 20 cents is to support the "corruption". Ha! (that 30 cents is for your provincial government by the way, which in turn has its own expenses and problems)

-Many provincial authority that was given up by Ottawa in the past was because the provinces Ontario and Quebec would request these.

Lets not forget this when we think about the bloc!
    I would vote for them for other reasons than cessation from the country.
    I believe in a Canada united.

So... Lets change the name of the Country...
    United Provinces of Canada.
    Or to satisfy the Quebecois with their distinct society...
    The United Provinces of Canada and Quebec.

This would promote Unity and also show the importances of each Province within the country within its cultural language.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have a minority government right now,that is why we are having another election
    If you ask me at this point they should all be locked in a room and fight it out
    Whoever comes out wins!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hope I don't come across wrong here. The only reason I would vote for the bloc is to decentralize power in the Canadian government and maintain a minority government. This in the long run would lower taxation.

[edited for time]

Lets not forget this when we think about the bloc!
    I would vote for them for other reasons than cessation from the country.
    I believe in a Canada united.
    1. No one in this thread even has the option of voting for the Bloc
    2. Secession is their only objective.

So... Lets change the name of the Country...
    United Provinces of Canada.
    If you think that would fly, you've been out of the country a bit too long

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I voted yesterday, but I don`t stay on top of politics. So who ended up getting the majority vote?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast