Doubling Coupons?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Doubling Coupons?

Many Frugal Villagers talk about how certain stores accept double or triple coupons. Does that mean 2 or 3 of the same kind in one transaction or they double the value? And what Canadian stores accept double coupons? Safeway, Superstore, Wal-mart? How do I know? Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know of any in my area who do this any longer..if they do it is not every week...none of them will take online coupons

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only store I know of on the prairies that doubles coupons is Pharmasave (they double the face value of the coupon). A few times a year they double coupons, it is advertised in the flyer. And not every location does this. I live in between two cities, and one city doubles on the special day, the other does not. I find them to be very expensive, and on the last double coupon day, I couldn't justify the gas expense to go.

London Drugs out west stacks coupons, or accepts more than one coupon for the same item. However, each coupon must be a different coupon. So you can't have five of the same coupon to use on one thing. I don't live near a London Drugs, so I only go a couple times a year, but when I do, I make out pretty well. I have paid $1.99 each for diapers and pull-ups, which is unheard of anywhere else. Some things have also come out free.

These are the only 2 I know of here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh I'll have to remember that about London Drugs. I don't know of any stores that will double or triple the value of coupons though. I believe that's just a US thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No one around here Doubles coupons, though I wish they did

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another tip to remember is to "stack" an instore coupon with a manufacturers coupon ie: Real Canadian Superstore has "instore" coupons on display when you walk in their doors ( you can check ahead on line too) you can match these up with your MFG coupons for more savings.

I've never heard of any store in BC actually doubling the face value of coupons, too bad, and we have Pharmasave here. I do stack at London Drugs!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

aimeebee, the coupon situation in Canada is very different than the US. And it is different in each province. Here, in a major city on the prairies, very few coupons are found and accepted.

The last time I went to Safeway with an on-line coupon, they wanted to know where I got it from. It was from an e-mail they sent me. The cashier was all set to turn it down, but couldn't because it was theirs. Definitely retailers are stingy about accepting coupons here. And in the entire 13 years I've lived here I've never heard of a double or triple coupon deal, or seen one advertised. And, no, you can't use two different coupons on one item here. You are lucky if they'll take the best coupon you have...period.

Add to that the fact that most coupons aren't for quality stuff or for stuff that can be found the same quality cheaper at regular price in another brand, and you have a lot of people who don't bother to use coupons. I mean, who are they fooling?

What this has done for me is to shift the focus away from getting a deal on food using coupons, to simply buying the best quality food I can find. If I have to pay the prices anyways, why not get the best I can afford? We're going organic again...and away from the big chains to local producers.

I get really miffed on this topic because when we lived in Alberta there were lots of coupons, and lots of people accepted them...14 years ago. But here in Saskatchewan the retailers are tight and coupon acceptance is next to zilch.

Jean
    Last edited by peanut; 01-07-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sobey's in the city I shop in, doubles coupons up to $4.00 every Wed., only because the local co-op does the same thing on Wed. I haven't found any other store that doubles coupons in our province.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pharmasave doubles in Saskatchewan. I know Melfort does, and I think someone from Saskatoon said they do there, too. They do it a few times a year, it's advertised on the flyer and online. It's usually one in the summer and one in the winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Here, in a major city on the prairies, very few coupons are found and accepted.

You are lucky if they'll take the best coupon you have...period.

What this has done for me is to shift the focus away from getting a deal on food using coupons, to simply buying the best quality food I can find. If I have to pay the prices anyways, why not get the best I can afford? We're going organic again...and away from the big chains to local producers.

Jean
    Exactly right Jean! The only coupons I've used lately is the ones posted by our fellow Canadians (keep 'em coming! ) But really, it's slim pickings out here. I shop organic about 50% of the time due to cost, but am really aware of buying local and from owner based business. While I am going to try the organic but overpriced local farmers market this Saturday (no coupons there!) I am also trying to stick to a really tight grocery budget. I keep telling myself maybe I can just eat less - I need to lose weight anyway!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, I've encountered the same frustrating situation with coupons in Canada that you all have. Now I use them mainly for little budget perks now and then and certainly not as a primary system for grocery management.