"Feeding the Recession" in my own way
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default "Feeding the Recession" in my own way

I spent like $85 at Superstore an hour ago.

Now before you guys wonder how I could spend so much, look at what I bought!

A thick turtleneck sweater for $9.94 (clearance, down from $49)
    A pair of thick black winter slacks for $6.94 (down from $39)
    A nice pretty cream colored sleeveless shirt for $3.94 (down from $14)
    Two loaves of bread
    Bag of hot dog and hamburger buns
    Romaine lettuce ($0.94 this week)
    English cucumber
    Ham
    Turkey
    Corn syrup (so I can finally make strawberry pie)
    White frosting (so I can make lemon cake)
    Two containers honey (for ribs and the like - I do make some awesome honey garlic pork ribs)
    Margarine (because we needed some)
    Allergy medication (because I needed some)

Everything was on sale and was needed for this week in particular.

So there, I "fed the recession" in a frugal way. I'll tell ya, this oversized waffle sweater is soooooooo warm too.

The one thing I wish that would go down in price? Hot dog and hamburger buns. I look at it this way... me making hamburgers and hot dogs at home is much cheaper than eating out. I can forgo the $2.87 per bag (even though it was way cheaper than that before food prices skyrocketed).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Looks like you got some wonderful deals! Spending your money wisely is always a good thing. Honestly, I seem to be spending more over the past few months, but most are excellent buys on needed items. Sure there were a few holiday & after holiday splurges, but no overspending here either.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think you did fantastic!! I love Superstore. Has yours done renovations yet? we have one here that did and it's such a nice open store to shop in.

I think people need to spend wisely and let the market even out. We've been on a consumer binge for too long, and it's crumbling, and will stabilize, it'll never be like before. But once people are sensible about things, it'll be a more stable economy. Or that's what my little brain tells me..lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mommy4ever View Post
    I think you did fantastic!! I love Superstore. Has yours done renovations yet? we have one here that did and it's such a nice open store to shop in.

I think people need to spend wisely and let the market even out. We've been on a consumer binge for too long, and it's crumbling, and will stabilize, it'll never be like before. But once people are sensible about things, it'll be a more stable economy. Or that's what my little brain tells me..lol
    They did some renovations back last year sometime when they brought in the Joe Fresh line. They gutted a huge section in the middle of the store and put in an entire new clothing area. It's delightful because they have such a wide assortment of nice warm clothes that I'd wear (because when it's -35C, I can't worry about fashion...to a point). Besides, I'd rather spend my money at a Canadian supermarket chain that buys as much of their goods from Canadian suppliers as possible and help to stimulate an economy that's looking to improve in Q4 of 2009.

That's what we're doing, the spending wisely part of it. I figure that as long as we're paying off debt and not going overboard, then I can get a few things I'll need both now and the upcoming winter while they're at a great price. A $40 markdown on an unbelievably warm, comfortable sweater gives me piece of mind that I not only saved a good amount of money, but it'll keep me warm to where I don't need to jack up the heat every single time I'm cold.

All of our bills are accounted for and I paid for it in cash. It's nice.
    Last edited by MomToTwoBoys; 02-02-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great deals!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great job on the deals! Superstore does have really good ones, especially on the clothes, sometimes.

Last year I picked up a winter coat for my dd for $5.00!!
    Candis

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love Superstore deals! I live at the crossroads of a Co-op, Safeway and Superstore all within a block of one another. Sometimes I can find great deals at the Co-op and the Safeway always has a great deal on Mac'n'Cheese (buy one get one! woot!!). But I still prefer the Superstore over any other.

Has anyone noticed the prices of fruit/veggies having gone way up at the SS? I recently paid $8.84 for apples for 1 week for DH and myself (2 a day)....I couldnt believe it!!! But we love them so I guess I ought to suck it up! But I did love their sale on oranges 2 weeks ago - $0.46 a pound!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I bought a ton of those! Yum!!!

Way to go on the great deals Mto2Bys!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Gotta love Superstore. Great deals!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The Superstores are awesome! You got some really good deals! WTG!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
    I love Superstore deals! I live at the crossroads of a Co-op, Safeway and Superstore all within a block of one another. Sometimes I can find great deals at the Co-op and the Safeway always has a great deal on Mac'n'Cheese (buy one get one! woot!!). But I still prefer the Superstore over any other.

Has anyone noticed the prices of fruit/veggies having gone way up at the SS? I recently paid $8.84 for apples for 1 week for DH and myself (2 a day)....I couldnt believe it!!! But we love them so I guess I ought to suck it up! But I did love their sale on oranges 2 weeks ago - $0.46 a pound!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I bought a ton of those! Yum!!!

Way to go on the great deals Mto2Bys!!!
    Yeah I was dumbfounded by the price of lettuce at Superstore a couple of weeks ago. I always eat romaine lettuce and to see it at $1.88 per head put me into shock! This week was waaaaay better with it being $0.97 per head, but I only bought one. They have a great sale this week on grapefruits and I love grapefruit!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would love to get Romaine for $1.88. In PEI, it's closer to $3!

Amanda