Anyone been to Value Village lately (Canadians) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madkat2618 View Post
    I was going to go to VV yesterday for the 1/2 price sale, but the ice storm stopped that idea in it's tracks! LOL!
    I do buy the calendars at the end of the year, and usually will only buy if I can use my coupon for that month. My sister and I go together, and sometimes will combine our purchases to use the coupon too. I've gotten some great deals that way.

Monkeywrangler, I love Frenchie's! I really miss going there.

Homesteadmamma, I've been to that Salvation Army. I totally agree with you about the condition of that store. The MCC thrift store--is that the one just up the street from the SA? That's the only other thrift store I know of there. Do you know something I don't know??
    MCC is on 414 Pacific Ave. It's a great little store. It's not too far away from 1st.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I haven't been in a while, but I did go for the half price sale yesterday. When I do go to a thrift store it is usually only for specific items - I buy fabric, or even more affordable, flat sheets in good condition and neat patterns - way cheaper than buying fabric, even at Walmart. I also like to look through the kitchen stuff, specifically serving dishes. Some of the pieces they have are older, but they have character, which is what I like. Clothing, though, I am less likely to buy. I have to really go through EVERYTHING to find a few pieces worth the price. I, too, like Giant Tiger for clothing. For the kids, though (especially SS), I have been able to find some nice, affordable articles of clothing for cheap cheap at Value Village.

I treated myself to a shopping trip yesterday (as I said) at VV and got a whack of great stuff! My list is on the thread "Staying Within Budget at Secondhand Store". I was really happy with everyhing I got!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by homesteadmamma View Post
    MCC is on 414 Pacific Ave. It's a great little store. It's not too far away from 1st.

Thanks! I'll have to check that one out. I had no idea it was there!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There isnt a vv here, but I did visit another town that Had one last year. The prices were horrible. Really high prices, I would not buy clothes second hand for what they had them put as.

QM
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't remember the last time I bought clothes at Value Village. I find that stocking up on kid's new reduced clothes at the end of season for $2 or $3 is the way to go. I've saved a lot of money doing this over the years.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only go once in a while on their half price day. I am very selective, and sometimes find some very good quality brand-name clothing for my kids. I have found jeans for all my kids in very good shape, that I can't ever find for near that price new. However, I would never pay full price for most of their clothing, it seems so over-priced, and getting higher!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I've found the same issue too. I used to buy DH's work jeans there for $4 a pair. The last time I went they were $15. I can get far better, newer jeans with my discount from work for less than that. I only go to value village now when I'm looking for decor stuff, they are usually fairly reasonable with that, unless that has changed as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am new to thrift store shopping so the prices at VV, although I recognize they are higher than other thrift stores, don't seem as shocking to me. I like that VV is so large because I can always find something that I need as opposed to some of the smaller community run stores (thrift store shopping isn't very big in my area) that have a much smaller, much more worn-out selection. I do remember it used to be much cheaper when I was in highschool and grunge was in style.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default From down below..but only just!

I'm located in Bellingham Washington (State not D.C.) about 40 miles from the Canadian border.

They've raised the prices at the Value Village here too (I'm not even going to try and do the math for the exchange rate), and they are carrying a lot more "new" stuff like socks and cheap blankets and other super low end products.

I only go there to look at the "expensive items" like furniture and higher end clothing anymore, and usually armed with my coupon of the month. But down here they seem to be becoming some sort of outlet for unsaleable merchandise from Target .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The VV thats closest to me, is Ok, somtimes its expensive and i have found that if i quuestion why this is the price (only a few dollars off what it was originally), then they knock off a few more dollars.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've found the one in Kamloops has risen in prices, too. I'm going to start shopping at Penny Pinchers and the hospital auxiliary thrift store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I actually found a good deal at VV the other day. I needed some high count cotton sheets to make a bag/cover for my wool mattress pad. A friend and I were in there looking for a coat for another friend (that was not a good deal!) and I stopped by the sheets for a look. I found a 'full' size set which cut apart will be just the right size for the top of the queen bed. They were $3.50 a sheet. So for $7 plus the batt ($100) I'll have myself a queen size wool mattress pad...that normally retails for $400CAD.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find the thrift stores better for 'stuff' now vs clothes. On the rare find after digging through the racks for 2+ hours....I do find that odd 'non dated' sweater/shirt/top for $2.99 and its in perfectly good condition. I only go now when my sis wants to go browse...you know...the urge to shop w/o really wanting to buy anything? Usually seeing the prices there are enough to put her off of buying anything

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find their prices are way too high, I saw a used crockpot for 19.99.
    Sometimes you can get a great deal on 50% day if you look through the racks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sometimes find a deal there, but do agree with people that you have to be careful. I got a lovely Christmas dress in the summer for my 4 year old. It was marked $2.99, but i found a very slight problem and bought it for 1.99. I like to look for shoes there as a number of us have wide feet and it's difficult to get shoes in our price range.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast