Cdn source for skim milk powder???

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Cdn source for skim milk powder???

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to use Skim milk from the powder in baking and other recipes as it is cheaper than regular milk.

Right now DH and the kids aren't too fond of the taste on cereal.

Skim milk powder costs about $10/kilo - slightly less at WalMart. I tried Bulk Barn thinking they'd be cheaper but they're even more.

So, basically I have two questions.

1) How do you/can you improve the taste of Skim milk from powder?

2) Do you have an inexpensive resource either via internet or grocery store?

I'm in southern Ontario - about an hour north of Toronto.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have found that skim milk powder is more expensive than milk. However, that could be my area of Canada.

The trick to skim milk is this. First, make it 2 L and pour 2 L into 1/2 of a 4L jug. With time for it to get cold before some one drinks it. Slowly wean it to full powdered. As long as it's cold my family never finds out..lol. I like to use it when camping, doesn't take all our fridge space, very convenient.

I seem to recall Amy D. saying she no longer used powdered because it was more expensive.

Finding it at a good price is hard. Google food coop with your city name, or Ontario, that is likely the best way to see if there is one. We have one in AB, but the price wasn't worth the $400 minimum order of goods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I have it available I use skim milk for baking and cooking, but we use normal milk drinking as although my kids use to love the taste of powered milk "bubble milk" they now don't ... I know your suppose to have it as cold as possible to taste better, but it still doesnt taste "the same" not even to me. I've heard some people mix it half and half .. that may be better?

I also find it more expensive here, but when I make my premade mixes etc I find it easier to add as a dry ingrediant ... also we dont drink the powered stuff where as we go through the normal stuff like it's going out of style .. getting better though.
    Last edited by Wendy99; 02-22-2009 at 10:38 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

As a hint, if you're using powdered skim and want it to fortify the taste, try using extra from the recommended amount. There are milk companies here in the US that are selling skim milk "that tastes like 2%" and it just has skim milk solids added.

Sorry, I don't have a recipe. Also DO try the getting it cold first, it really does help!

IHTH --

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in southern Ontario and I buy skim milk powder at Zehrs. It costs about $21 for a big bag that makes 25 liters. That's about 84 cents a liter. The best deal on regular milk is $3.99 for 4 liters, or a dollar a liter (a lot of places it is more). So the skim milk powder does offer me some savings, and it keeps me out of the stores longer, so that is another savings.

But here's what I do to extend the milk even more. Because the skim milk powder has such a strong flavour I find that if I mix it with regular 2% milk with extra water that the resultant milk 'beverage' has a very good flavour, with about 3/4 of the nutrition of normal milk. The negative feature of the strong powder flavour is actually a benefit here, because it keeps the mixture from tasting too bland.

I mix:

2 cups water
    2 cups 2% milk
    1/4 cup skim milk powder

Then chill well.

Normally, for 2 cups of water you'd add 1/2 cup powder to reconstitute it fully, but by adding less powder along with the regular 2% I find it tastes really good (just to drink by the glassful), has 3/4 the nutrition of normal milk, and costs only 71 cents a liter (cheaper than both the powder and regular milks by themselves).

Hope that helps!

Oh, and I also have these wonderful old milk bottles I use to mix the milk in...like you see on the old 50s television shows. Makes me feel really nostalgic.

ps. I've also noticed that different brands of skim milk powder have different directions for reconsitution, so check out how many liters the bag makes, not how big the bag is. The Zehrs no-name brand is 1 part powder to 4 parts water. Just in case that helps.
    Last edited by Ebbie; 02-22-2009 at 11:27 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been using dry milk for about a year. Because there's just the 2 of us now and I was throwing away spoiled milk. I always store my milk in a glass container. Make your milk the night before and serve only when it's extra cold. My gr'kids can't tell any difference. I bought 2 glass half gal containers. Always wash and thoroughly dry with lid off between using.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live in southern Ontario. I found that using the powder is really not much of a savings so we just buy skim milk. I buy my milk at Shopper's Drug Mart. It is the cheapest in my area. I use about 12 litres of milk a week, so it costs me an extra $1.92 a week to buy fluid milk.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm on the prairies. Here it's cheaper to buy liquid than powder milk. It didn't always be that way. Fifteen years ago it was cheaper to use powdered, and we tried it. But people here never got used to the taste...cold or otherwise. I used it in baking, but not for drinking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you everyone for your replies. I'll try that recipe for mixing it with 2% and see if anyone notices!

After I posted I actually went and measured out the whole bag of skim milk powder into a bowl to see how many litres it would make. The price worked out to be exactly the same as regular milk $1/litre. I just made the assumption that it must be at least a little bit cheaper.

We do have a Zehrs nearby so I'll try them and see if they have one of those big bags because that would be less expensive and handy to have on hand for our stockpile pantry.

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by HomeschoolMom View Post
    We do have a Zehrs nearby so I'll try them and see if they have one of those big bags because that would be less expensive and handy to have on hand for our stockpile pantry.

Thanks!!
    Our Zehrs does sell big bags of no-name powdered milk. Just keep an eye on the expiry date if you are using it for your stockpile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a bunch of powdered and shelf stable milk that we used around the time of the hurricane and in order to give it a little boost I added a dash of vanilla. I figured it Silk Soy milk could do vanilla so could I...worked pretty well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the reminder about the expiry dates. Wouldn't want to have a huge stash of expired milk! That definitely would not be frugal.

The vanilla idea is a good one also. I actually had some of the skim milk on my cereal this morning and while it does have a bit of an odd taste it really is pretty good when very cold - good advice there too!

Thanks again ladies. If I find an even cheaper source than Zehrs I'll be sure to post it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a friend who is LDS, and I volunteered at their church cannery (canning my own stuff and my groups), to be able to buy powdered milk in large #10 cans for about $19.00. Because it's canned, its' good for at least 5 years or more. Just another idea.