Produce in Canadian stores
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Produce in Canadian stores

In the summer, I usually go to a farmer's market for produce because its usually cheaper, organic and local. However, like most Canadians, we don't have one in the winter, so I shop at the grocery stores for it. Does anyone else find that certain stores have way better quality? For example, I usually shop at Price Chopper or Food Basics because they are cheap and close. The next closest store is Sobeys, but its crazy expensive. I find myself going to Sobeys more and more, and spending more, because the produce from the other two goes bad within a day or two, whereas sobeys fruits and veggies do not. DH thinks its in my head, but I'm convinced! So does anyone else notice this?

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it really depends on the individual store more than the chain. Are you still in Oshawa? Because i don't think the produce at the Food Basics & Price Chopper down at King & Wilson is very good. I think Sobeys has the best produce in town, Superstore second.

I find for winter type vegetables (potatoes, onions, carrots, etc.) and apples it doesn't matter where you go, but for green stuff, grapes, etc you have to go to the higher end stores to get something decent.

Where do you go to the farmers market? I don't know where to find them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you have a Super Walmart nearby? I find the one in Aurora has really good produce and they ad-match to any store you can get a flyer from.

The Price Choppers and No Frills in Newmarket aren't too bad but I do pick the fruit/veg over pretty good and sometimes won't buy certain things.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I find that both Sobey's and Safeway have better produce quality than Co-Op or Superstore. You can get really nice Asian vegetables at the strictly Asian markets. You can get really nice Middle Eastern vegetables at their specific markets. I think it depends on the store.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we tend to shop at superstore and have always had good luck. the produce is good and lasts.

sobeys and safeway (for the most part) have nice produce too...but it is more expensive and there is less selection.

we're in winnipeg.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It never lasts the kids eat it!

I use super store the most. We have a discount produce place, great prices, but only good for a day or 2. So that's for something you intend to use right away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Monkey...the farmers market is at the Oshawa Center in the back parking lot every Friday all summer. There are tons of booths set up, lots of good stuff, if you can get there on Fridays!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've noticed the same thing. I do my grocery shopping in Bolton/Brampton but I find that when I make the trip to Brampton's Price Chopper because of a great sale on produce...the produce is absolutely rotten (in the store!!). Although I can get my dry goods at whichever store is cheapest I usually have to go to a store that is more expensive overall to find good produce.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I buy at Sobey's and Atlantic Superstore. Superstore has more variety but I find both stay are about the same with veggies staying fresh. we bought 2 weeks ago potatoe's from price Chopper(sobeys owns it) . well the bag was 50 lbs for $7.99 from a local farmer (yellow flesh 2nd grade). out of 12 of the forst ones 2 was good the rest was rotten on the inside. ughhh
    we did get our money back- and hubby called the potatoe board and complained- he told them whe know their 2 years old , their soft and rotten in the middle. he wanted the framer to know. Price Chooper wont take the poatoes back or get their money back, they cant be bothered. hubby told me when tehyre not fighting for theor money back because they also have to despose of them that means they know they bought crappy bad potaotes. My hubby worked and lived on a farm for years. Hid dad owned the farm, so he knows whats old and whats not.
    Last edited by miss_thrifty; 03-19-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have a choice between Sobey's (Loblaw), Superstore, Extra Foods (Superstore), and the Co-op. Oh, and various organic food marts (mega expensive) and a Farmer's Market. We shop the farmer's market in summer and fall. Otherwise it's been Superstore. But I'm switching to Sobey's now...for exactly the reason you describe. The veggies look better and last longer before going bad.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Are the farmer's market vegetables better quality all around than the grocery stores? I'm actually debating getting a bunch of my produce from the farmer's market instead. I can't deal with the edges of romaine lettuce being black when they haven't been out for more than two days.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MomToTwoBoys View Post
    Are the farmer's market vegetables better quality all around than the grocery stores?
    Around here it is. But there isn't much to choose from this time of year. Nothing producing yet. We still have a couple feet of snow on the ground.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

miss thrifty, I had the exact same experience with Price Chopper potatoes. They were rotten and you could taste how old they were. That and a few other things prompted me to start this thread. You can get really good deals at the cheaper stores, but sometimes they are just not worth it.