Anyone been to Banff?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Anyone been to Banff?

Working out all the details for our trip. Other people that have been there keep telling us to bring a lot of money! YIKES. Is it really that bad? I'm worried about things like gate fees to go places. You can go to a lot of places in Sask and not have to pay to see it. Not used to paying fees like that I guess.
    Most things we want to do we looked up on the net and know what we're in for, it's the surprises i'm worried about.
    Any must stop places you would reccomend?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never been but hope that a few people will provide answers, as we're planning on going next summer. Just peeing on the thread.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I lived there for a few years in the early 90s. The mountains are free, everything else costs an arm and a leg. I don't know what you like to do. If you like hiking, then you can do plenty of that without paying anything above your NP fees. The drive between Banff and Jasper is extraordinary. You can certainly enjoy all the scenery and park spaces for nothing, but when it comes to accommodations, eating, and tourist attractions, it is extremely expensive.

You used to be able to go down the sulpher mt. gondola for free if you walked up the mountain, now they charge half price. It's about a 4 hour hike, fairly steep. Save you about $15 a person, but only worth it if you like hiking.

We used to go to a hot spring in a cave on the side of the road, instead of paying to go to the official site - but you'd never find that

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It'll cost you money to get into the park because Banff is actually past the Banff National Park gates. I think it was $20 or something for the day. Campgrounds and the like are free; bring lots of goodies to picnic and have fun in the water. I'd suggest checking the fire hazard reports, though, especially since BC has had a really dry Spring/Summer.

Check out the Parks Canada for more information.

As far as Banff itself, the town is super expensive.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went for a day back in the mid- 90's while working that summer in the US, Glacier National Park. We did not stay in Banff (I think we drove on up to Calgary that night) and were only interested in hiking - as we were broke college kids! But the hiking & drive was AMAZING! We packed food & I don't remember an entrance fee, but if there was one, it was about the only thing we paid for.
    Have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to live in Calgary, so I went to Banff fairly often. Admission to the Park is expensive. (It's been a few years, so I don't know the current rates.) You don't have to pay if you are just passing through on the highway. But if you stop for any reason, even just to have a pee, you could get caught in the parking lot without a pass and fined.

Banff townsite is majorly expensive. It is one big tourist trap. Most of the tourists are foreigners with deep pockets, so things are priced accordingly.

If you are self-contained and do not visit any businesses, you can get by without spending any money except for the Park fee. But, restaurants and hotels are expensive, gift shops are high-end, and you'll have to pay for museums, tours and the gondola ride.

Hiking is free, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just got back......WHAT A TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    10 days of fun, it only rained once!
    Okay the money breakdown since its still fresh in my head.
    The park pass was $136.00 we would have paid less had we been there 6 days instead of 8 so we had to go with the yearly one
    The campground was full service and BREATHTAKING 8 days for 316.00 a steal compaired to hotel/motel rooms
    I cooked and baked and packed a ton of food so buying meals was only necessary a few times......once we had to pay $100.00 for lunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We were in the middle of nowhere going to the Columbia Icefields. Middle of nowhere=high prices.....even for Banff standards. It was my own fault for not making sandwiches.
    The grocery store wasn't too bad. Didn't buy much, the kids and hubby got Banff t shirts that were on sale for 10 bucks. Most of the shops are really trendy and exclusive mixed in with the key chain, fridge magnet kind of places.
    The adventures cost an arm and a leg but were totally worth it in my opinion. White water rafting, so much fun. Zip lining, awesome. Columbia Icefields, unreal. Lake louise, beautiful. Radium hot springs, so beautiful. Banff gondola and sulpher mountain, so fun.
    Calgary zoo, unforgetable. Quick few hours at Calaway park (rides) after 4:00 the price goes down from 31.00 to 14.00
    My 9 year old actually rode a roller coaster!
    We all really broke out of our conservative shell last week, we did things we have never done and have a ton of photos to prove it. I have never been anywhere that had so much to do that we were busy for 8 days straight!
    I did notice that my son who is 5 got into a lot of things free or really cheap. A lot of admissions were for 6 and up......bonus!

Also my hubby had a slip tank installed under his tool box in the back of the truck so we could go a lot farther looking for better prices on diesel.

The biggest savings was accomidation and meals for sure. Our camper is super comfy and packed well so the 316 for the site was really cheap compaired to hotels. I had heard enough about the prices to pack a lot of food and that helped a lot. We had all the snacks and needs for the boys (diabetics) and pretty much all we could need in our camper. I did buy a nice backpack before we left and we packed it full of water, juice, snacks, coldpacks etc every single day.....everywhere we went. So, we were pretty much self sufficient. I really noticed because my hubbs sister and her family of 6 camped too and they went in every store, shop, gas station.....you name it. It was an eye opener.

All in all we had a fantastic time and would love to go back. For the people that get to wake up every morning to beautiful mountains........lucky, lucky you!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm glad that your family had such a marvelous time!

The weather has been pretty good lately and it's a good thing you went when you did. They're forecasting rain on and off from yesterday through the first part of next week.

The mountains are absolutely breathtaking, especially if you go to places like Two Jack Lake or Lake Minnewannaka (God, I can't even spell today). I remember when we took my mom last August and you could still see snow on the highest peaks.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like a fantastic trip! Can you post some pics? I don't think I'm jealous enough.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you had a wonderful time FS!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by strezzed View Post
    I've never been but hope that a few people will provide answers, as we're planning on going next summer. Just peeing on the thread.

why are you peeing on the thread?

ROFLMAO!

LOLOLOLOL!
    Last edited by bumplett; 08-03-2009 at 10:45 PM.