Locations for a fast bite to eat- Canadians
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Locations for a fast bite to eat- Canadians

Ok. AS much as I try to plan ahead I sometimes find myself (with kids) on the road with no food. And to far to get home.

I have fund a few very inexpensive ways to grab a bite to eat and I will list them but, I am hoping you could share your solutions to this age old problem, and exxpand my choices. Where do you go, or what do you do? Here is my list. Anything goes healthy and not so healthy choices.

1) Grocery store- Buy buns and a deli meat, and prcut vegies &/or fruit.
    2) Buy the Roast chicken meal deal- comes with salads bun and chicken, often for $10.
    3) 7-11- Has a a great deal on steak fries (mojos) right now. They are 99 cents and very filling. Their hotdogs are a good price too.
    4) McDs, A&W if 2 for one coupons are available
    5) Subway- 3.99 subs

OK, please add to the list.. I need to be prepared for a busy summer on the road.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Not sure where in Canada you are but what about chain pizza joints? I know Pizza Pizza in Ontario offers at $5.99 or $6.99 walk in special...usually pepperoni (or one topping instead of pepperoni).

Subway has the selected $5 Foot Longs.

Chinese take out places - get a combo meal and 2-3 people can share it - its way too much for one person

A&W on my last trip - advertised on their outdoor sign 4 teen burger combos for $19.99. My dad and I never saw it but we ordered 2 teen burger combos for $18! But the other two combos would've been a waste for us and we weren't about to take it with us in the car lol.

Truck stops actually have a decently priced lunch buffet spread. For the same amount of $ spent on fast food combos for a family of 4 - that same amount of $ would afford you a better quality meal - sit down, kinda home cooked vs just burger and fries. And there's dessert!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

1) Real Canadian Superstore or any of their subsidiaries like Loblaws will have good pre-cut veggies and buns with deli meats. You can also try Sobey's.

2) I know Superstore already has roast chickens ready to eat, plus there's salads sold nearby it.

If you want good sub deals, either Subway or Quiznos. I'd catch A&W when they're having their 2 for deals on burgers and such. Fast food in Canada is really expensive (moreso than in the US) so you really have to look for deals here.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyhill View Post
    Ok. AS much as I try to plan ahead I sometimes find myself (with kids) on the road with no food. And to far to get home.

I have fund a few very inexpensive ways to grab a bite to eat and I will list them but, I am hoping you could share your solutions to this age old problem, and exxpand my choices. Where do you go, or what do you do? Here is my list. Anything goes healthy and not so healthy choices.

1) Grocery store- Buy buns and a deli meat, and prcut vegies &/or fruit.
    2) Buy the Roast chicken meal deal- comes with salads bun and chicken, often for $10.
    3) 7-11- Has a a great deal on steak fries (mojos) right now. They are 99 cents and very filling. Their hotdogs are a good price too.
    4) McDs, A&W if 2 for one coupons are available
    5) Subway- 3.99 subs

OK, please add to the list.. I need to be prepared for a busy summer on the road.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know a family who keeps a new jar of peanut butter, a butterknife in a plastic baggie, and an unopened pack of crackers in the trunk. When it gets opened, they replace it with unopened.

I used to grab a new jar of jam, a new jar of peanut butter, a spoon and a knife and some napkins in a ziplock baggie, a loaf of bread, and an old sheet when we were going places. We would find a park or a rest stop and have a picnic.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

wendy's has a good value menu as well.

i would make sure to have a sharp knife, small cutting board and a can opener (maybe put together a picnic kit with dishes, some seasonings, salt & pepper, etc). I find the prepared platters have enormous markup so i'd never, ever buy them. i'm assuming you'd also have canteens of tap water to give everything a quick rinse...

Grocery store quick eats list:

produce:
    bag of baby cut carrots
    Bananas
    grapes
    oranges
    apples
    bell peppers
    berries
    zucchini
    tomatoes
    cukes, etc

other stuff:
    can of tuna fish on bread or crackers
    half gallon of milk + box of cereal is doable if you have bowls/spoons available.
    small individual sized yogurts to dip fruit in
    cheese squares with crackers
    cold roast beef (lunchmeat type)
    cottage cheese
    nuts, dried fruit
    peanut or other types of nut butters
    pepperoni

if i had a bowl, i'd mix a can of black beans with some taco seasoning, chopped tomatoes and avocado and dig in with tortilla chips.

carrying just a few items to rinse and cut food like i mentioned above would really open up your options. to cut costs at fast food you could use cold produce and just buy hamburgers off mcd's or wendy's value menu, skipping the fries and soda (also more healthy). there's no law against having an apple and water with a hamburger instead of fries and a soda!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We get bean burritoes at Taco Bell (often 99 cents) Sometimes Taco Bell has meal deals that have 10-12 tacos and an order of fries for $6 or so. The meat there is pretty gross but they will substitute beans for the meat at no extra charge.

You can get a slice of pizza at Pizza Pizza for two bucks.

Any place near a high school generally has a couple of really cheap deals because students never have much money.

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't live in Canada so I have no advice on where to eat, but I can tell you what I do. I never leave the house without a big thermos jug or mason jars filled with iced tea and cups. And often I pack a cooler with sandwiches, muffins and such. If we don't eat it on the road we eat it when we get home. If I were to be on the road often I would keep a basket in the car with picnicware like a table cloth, cups, plates, forks and spoons. Having peanut butter and jelly in your car is a great idea, all you'd need to do would be pick up a loaf of bread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Get cheap snackage at Dollarama? They have the best deal on: "Holiday Luncheon Meat" (around $1.25-$1.50) where other stores mark it up to more than double!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh the road, think picnic style. A cooler with icepacks, fruit, cheese, meat, veggies. If you are leaving from home, deviled eggs, or potato salad is good for the first day.

While travelling, tortillas for wraps, naan bread with hummus, crackers and peanut butter....

I'll think more on it...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you are in a bigger city, IKEA has really cheap meals in their restaurant and in the bistro area.