Frugal Canadian Epoxy
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Frugal Canadian Epoxy

Often we find that our stuff breaks and we need to make it last another 6 months, or until we get some discretionary income to rectify the problem properly. In the meantime, you can scrounge through dollar stores, and find cheap epoxy made in China. The made in China epoxy from the dollar stores is (you guessed it) cheap, but it will suffice for a lot of repairs. Sometimes, the epoxy you get in these types of places is runny, and does not seem to want to react. (epoxy has to 'kick over'. The 'kicking over' is actually an exothermic reaction, for the epoxy to harden, the resin and hardener must react chemically. In this case, you can take a hair dryer, or put the item to be mended (well supported so the parts don't come apart) into perhaps a tray with sand in the oven, the sand can support your parts, while the epoxy cures. The heat supplies some energy to the reaction so it can go to completion. The high end epoxy such as Devcon (especially Devcon) gives off quite a bit of heat when it reacts. I have used a product called: "JB Weld" and it is a very high quality epoxy. I recently used JB Weld to repair a plastic hose nozzle that had been left out on a freezing night, causing it to crack due to the pressure of the ice. Best regards, Tony.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I love JB Weld. We use it for everything around here!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello friends, I noticed in the local hardware stores there is a new JB weld product (marine grade epoxy) this is the strongest product they have made to date with a strength of about 4000 psi. I have to mention also that the slower setting epoxies develop the highest strength. Best regards, Tony

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For sticking hooks on masonry there's nothing better than JB Weld. I love the stuff.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If I have to spend the money to heat up my oven or run a hair dryer, I think I'm better off to spend the money up front for decent epoxy. And yes I know this is an old thread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I love this product..Rebuilt the bottom door frame on my SUV and painted over it..Still holding and still looks good...and that was in 1990...