Canadian Family Grocery budget? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not Peanut, but my recipe for rice milk has 1 cup of cooked rice and 4 cups of water. Then blend as her recipe mentions.

Also, my recipe for almond milk uses raw almonds (soaked overnight or up to 2 days) and water. 1 cup almonds to 2 cups water.

You can google and find other recipes and see what works for you. But, they are all the same basic principle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

sorry. brain dead after being at the exhibition all day! It should read 1/4 c. nuts to 1 c. water. And yes, you cook the rice first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually spend 300 per month for one couple.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Birdie & Peanut, I look forward to trying those recipres once we move
    Peanut, I can relate to feeling brain dead LOL. When there is a lot happening, some things just slip my mind and I make silly mistakes!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have cut our grocery budget back twice now. We are now, on average at about $160/wk. This feeds 2 adult males with large appetites, myself, 2 teens girls and a 10yo girl, as well as my home daycare kids(3-4 depending). This isn't too bad. Works out to a $2000 savings a year.

Still trying to cut back a little more, but we'll see. Need to get away from so many carbs, it's taking a toll on some of us girls. Need more fresh veggies and fruit, but hard with the teens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mommy4ever and the rest of you, how's it going? My grocery bill is so out of control right now. It's at $600/mth. for three of us to eat organic, gluten free, dairy free, and sugar free diet. I've kind of given up reducing it any further. I am doing most of my gluten free baking now. I just cannot afford the local gluten free caterer/baker. Plus they add dairy and sugar to their products.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have found it's cheaper to forgo grains altogether rather than add the gluten free baking. Unless I am really really craving it, I just don't. I follow the Paleo principles and find I am pretty happy most days. We don't do organic, can't afford it. I am the only gluten free in the house. We are at about $600/mo for all of us most months. Eating out of the freezer. Trying to get down to one freezer. Less bulk purchases in the future.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Mommy4ever: what do you do when the carb craving hits? Last evening the boarder and I had a real craving for carbs, crunch, and salt. So we went up to the grocery store and bought kettle baked potato chips and salted cashews. Needless to say, the calories mounted up quickly!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Carbs... are my nemesis. If I start, I don't stop with them.

To get my carbs in with my regular eating, I use mostly sweet potato with meals. But if it's a dire craving situation, kale chips are fantastic. There are several recipes out there. NomNom Paleo I think has one on her site, or maybe it was paleo mom.

One thing I discovered recently, thanks to my parents, is dehydrated tomatoes. i know it sounds ewwww. the don't look pretty. But it's really good. I need to raid their supply again. I believe they sprinkle with sea salt, then dehydrate them. It's chewy rather than crunchy, but it satisfies my salty craving issues, and it's healthy If you have a dehydrator, give it a try. they got the idea from a Mormon friend. They all kinds of dehydrated items, and they thought it was really bizarre, but after having a few tomatoes a couple of times while visiting, it really grew on them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks. We do not have a dehydrator, but boy, I wish I did! I've been eyeing the Excaliber.

I found kale chips, but they don't hit the spot for me unless it's just salty I'm after. I'm terrible at making them. Half are soft and half are burned. But I'm game to try again. I have some kale in my fridge right now calling my name.

We found GF whole grain bread at the Farmer's Market for $8/loaf. That's the best deal we can get locally. Thankfully when hubby found out the price he and the boarder abstained and bought their own, cheaper, bread to eat. I'm trying not to bake this summer. We don't have a/c and I don't want to heat up the house any more than absolutely necessary!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been doing GF baking, but find I'm quite sensitive to grains, period. Weight creeps up easily, along with general feeling of unwellness, hence finding it just easier to forgo it.

I know, it's not organic, but really if you want a gf snack, Doritos cheese are GF. I believe it's the Old Mills Ketchup chips are GF. If the craving hits, it's pretty much all junk no matter if it's organic or not, I get a small bag, have it, get over it and move on.

I have had some luck using my convection oven set as low as possible for drying some things. With a mandolin, slice sweet potato really think, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and toss in oven.

I don't know if the Excalibur is worth the extra cost unless you are a raw foodist. You can find the other dehydrator really cheap in the classifieds.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the tips Mommy4ever. I, too, am sensitive to all grains. I cannot eat more than 4 servings a day of carbohydrates. Otherwise I pack on weight.

Hmm... Doritos cheese...??? do you mean cheesies? If those are GF I'm saved! My problem has been I buy the big bags, because they're a better deal. But they aren't if you eat them all in one sitting!

I have a convection oven, but the lowest I can set it is 170 F. In the library books I've looked at that is too hot for drying food. Is it? Have you BTDT experience with this?

Not a raw foodist, so maybe I'll keep an eye out for other types of food dehydrators...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

HI Peanut, I was referring to Tortilla chips. Here is the list of GF:

CANADIAN Gluten Free Products and Products Not Containing Gluten Ingredients<br /> | Frito-Lay

Cheetos do appear on the list.

I know the cost per gram is less with the big bag, but it's not good to eat a huge bag I just go to the dollar store and get a small bag when craving hits. No guilt when the bag is empty, and no further temptation in the cabinet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

CHEETOS!!!! Thank-you so much Mommy4ever! Okay, Dollarama here I come...for small bags.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You're welcome Peanut

I kinda look at it this way. When a craving for junk food hits... junk food is junk food, doesn't matter that it's 'organic', deep fried, loaded with sugar and salt isn't healthy, no 2 ways about it. So why spend a fortune on it? Spend you're $1, get the craving handled and move on from it!

I am waiting for my new cookbook. Can't wait!!! But it's not released yet, but one week from now it's released. Paleo cookbook. Nice to get some new recipes in the mix. I have just been doing gluten free and I gained a bunch of weight. Those grains cause me to gain, be bloated and feel ewwwww. Much better grain free and sticking with nutrient dense starches to balance my day. The weight just kinda melts off at a nice healthy pace if I keep to it, and I'm not hungry. Add grains back in? Weight gain is SO fast. Makes me thing inflammation. Need to watch for other symptoms...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast