Where do you shop?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User watchingpennies's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Where do you shop?

Just curious...where do you shop? I know the different regions in Canada have different stores but where do you find you get the best deals? I am in Ontario....I shop at Food Basics for most things but find that the fruit isn't the freshest there so I end up going to Zehrs for that. I have shopped at No Frills but the closest one to me is 40 km away - a little too far.

I wish that we had the coupon opportunities that our Frugal American friends have. I never see double coupon days around here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop mostly at Wal-Mart Neighborhood Centers (WM's are much smaller and only sale groceries at the same low price). I also got to Save-A-Lot about once a month to stock up on all the really cheap stuff they sale, like cereal for $1.79, or beans for 39 cents a can.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop all over, just buy specials mostly. I work at Publix, so I get specials there. I also shop at the local Winn-Dixie, because they have great markdowns on meat on Wednesdays. I shop at Sav-a-lot for most of my frozen/canned goods, and at my local produce store for fruits/veggies (unless I can get a really great special elsewhere, they are usually cheaper). I buy bird seed and makeup at Wal-Mart, unless I can find some at Big Lots. I also get things at Dollar Tree sometimes, but only if it's a bargain. I buy some canned good sat Dollar General if I'm not going to Sav-a-lot anytime soon.

So in short, I shop wherever I get the best price! I'm going to go to Publix today for Cheerios and some other bogo's. I have a $4 coupon for the Cheerios if you buy four, and the store always has a $1 coupon on 2, so it ends up being really cheap. The birds and I both like Cheerios, so I look for bargains.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

hi, i shop also mostly at food basic,but i also noticed that the produce is not fresh there, so i switched to the chinese supermarket, the fruite and vegetables not only fresh, but also cheaper.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am in Ontario too. I shop mostly at the Price Chopper, I go to the Food Basics when they have a good deal in their flyers, but I don't really like it there. I will also go to No Frills if they have something on special, but it's across town so I don't normally bother unless it's really good.

I usually buy produce and meat at Sobeys or Superstore because I find it gross at all the discount stores. I also buy fish at Sobeys because they are the only store that carries Highliner Haddock fillets. I buy some things at the Bulk Barn, but generally their prices are about twice as high as the Price Chopper. They have the best price on yeast and spices though, and I buy popcorn there.

I also buy groceries at Shopper's Drug Mart. They typically have the best price on eggs, sometimes on sale for 1.29, but their reg. price is usually good. I usually shop there on 20X points days and then get free groceries on the special redemption days.

There are lots of good coupons in Canada. They might not double coupons here, but the coupons are worth more. I was in the States in April and I got the P&G and Smart Source flyer inserts that came in the paper, and they were not nearly as good as the ones in the Canadian papers that weekend - the US version had more coupons but the values were ridiculously low - made even me wonder if they were worth cutting out, and I am a notorious coupon clipper. There are loads of coupons in stores, but some stores don't put them out so you may have to look around, and there are lots available online, and on packages. There are also lots of free product coupons out there (I haven't paid for milk for 2 months). If you join a Canadian deals forum, you will find out where to find the best coupons, and know when there are great rebates (last year stores were actually paying people to take the Kleenex). There are some really amazing deals if you know where to look.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    If you join a Canadian deals forum, you will find out where to find the best coupons, and know when there are great rebates (last year stores were actually paying people to take the Kleenex). There are some really amazing deals if you know where to look.
    Can you PM me with this forum? Id be interested in checking it out. I'd like to use coupons but mostly the ones I seem to find are worth more then the US counterparts - I agree with you on this one however its always for stuff I'd never buy or even think of buying. I usually take my coupons to the laundromat that my bf uses and leave them in the trading box for someone else to use. Its already clipped out and ready to use so why not right?

I shop at No Frills - by far this is the best we have in the area. We have all the discount grocery stores within a 5 min driving radius. Food Basics, Price Choppers and No Frills - theres about 4 in my neighbourhood. We also have a Dominion, Loblaws and Sobeys. The nearest asian plaza is about 15 mins drive away.

Asian markets tend to be cheaper with healthier looking produce but I have no problems with the No Frills. Maybe I shop on the same day they get their produce in? Or its sheer luck. On the odd occasion Ill be looking for something specific and will go over to Food Basic to see if they have it but end up going to the bigger chain store and paying a lil more just to get it.

On the long weekend holidays this past summer, bf and I have gone into Shoppers Drug Mart to pick up a few groceries for his dad and they have been cheaper on some things but not all Shoppers have the grocery store portion. Its a hit and miss. I find Sam's club is a rip on alot of the produce here b/c if I head over to the Super Walmart - its way cheaper and its the same store essentially!

But yeah, for everyday groceries...its No Frills for me - plus I earn the PC points which in turn gives me free groceries when Im strapped for cash. Thats a bouns

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sam's Club, Walmart, and Kroger mainly. And dollar stores for this and that.

Registered User watchingpennies's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't know that you could get PC points at No Frills. I don't have one near me but my sister does and she said she was tempted by the "no fee PC credit card". I know she does quite a bit of shopping at No Frills....hmmmm I will have to let her know about it.
    I agree about the coupons here being more for things that I don't use. I go to save.ca but it is stuff that is quite expensive even with a coupon. I recently went to a website and got links to freebies (samples of tylenol, oil of olay etc..) I get excited to check my mail for these things that are coming in now.
    If anyone has some good links to coupon sites you could post them??? Also....does anyone know if any of our "Canadian" papers have coupons in them? I get the occassional P&G booklet in the paper (once every 4-6 weeks or so) but I get the Toronto Sun on Sundays (it's "free" with our local paper) and there don't seem to be any coupons in there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I do most of my shopping at Superstore. According to my sister, who lives in Ont., many grocery stores here in BC are different than Ontario ones. We don't have the No Frills, although it sounds like our Extra Foods here in BC. I also get some groceries at Shoppers Drug Mart, go to Save On Foods and Coopers as well. Superstore seems to be the cheapest in my town anyhow. I rarely find coupons as well for some reason. What I do is frequently go on the websites of brand names that I regularly use, and many times they have coupons, free offers, etc on those. It's a bit time consuming, but I've gotten a lot of free stuff that way, or really good coupons!!

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you go to this link
    http://www.couponscanada.org/
    and click on coupon calendar, the first two columns on the second page give the dates when the smartsource & shop&save are in the papers. The next Brandsaver (P&G) is on Sept.8 (They post the dates at brandsaver.ca)
    Other than those, I've never seen any coupons in the paper. Most are in store, on packages, or direct from the companies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop at Safeway & Fred Meyer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I shop mostly at Stop & Shop and Aldi.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm not in Canada...I shop at Redner's warehouse Market, Costco and the local farm stand when produce is in season!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    If you go to this link
    and click on coupon calendar, the first two columns on the second page give the dates when the smartsource & shop&save are in the papers. The next Brandsaver (P&G) is on Sept.8 (They post the dates at brandsaver.ca)
    Other than those, I've never seen any coupons in the paper. Most are in store, on packages, or direct from the companies.
    Would this work in Quebec also? I'm not seeing any of the stores here quoted except for Loblaws. I'd love links to any coupons, I think in Canada anyone who uses coupons appears to be part of a dying breed. I used an English coupon at the pharmacy a couple years back it said " BUY 2 GET 1 FREE". 3 english words only... The cashier couldnt read english, so she was about to refuse the coupon. I had to call in the Manager. Isn't "FREE" an international language?? lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by watchingpennies View Post
    I didn't know that you could get PC points at No Frills. I don't have one near me but my sister does and she said she was tempted by the "no fee PC credit card". I know she does quite a bit of shopping at No Frills....hmmmm I will have to let her know about it.
    I agree about the coupons here being more for things that I don't use. I go to save.ca but it is stuff that is quite expensive even with a coupon. I recently went to a website and got links to freebies (samples of tylenol, oil of olay etc..) I get excited to check my mail for these things that are coming in now.
    If anyone has some good links to coupon sites you could post them??? Also....does anyone know if any of our "Canadian" papers have coupons in them? I get the occassional P&G booklet in the paper (once every 4-6 weeks or so) but I get the Toronto Sun on Sundays (it's "free" with our local paper) and there don't seem to be any coupons in there.
    Sorry that Im reading this a month later but yes anywhere where PC products are sold (in Canada) you can get PC points IF you pay by PC debit or PC Mastercard IF you buy those reusable black cloth grocery bags - you get an extra 50 points/bag too But I always debit or if I have to use my credit card its the PC ones. Free points = free things at Christmas or groceries when needed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast