The price of veg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default The price of veg

We're always told to eat seasonal veg (being cheapest) but I'm horrified at the cost of veg this winter. Currently Tesco have cauliflower at £1.18 each, which I'm refusing to buy.

Lidl always have some veg on offer, this week its celeriac, brussel sprouts, grapes and possibly something else. Sorry I cant remember the prices I bought the celeriac and sprouts and will find ways to use them.

Anyone got any ideas about where to buy cheaper fruit and veg? I dont have an Aldi thats close enough, do have Sainsburys, Asda and Morrisons but dont go to those regularly enough to know whats on offer.

Lets share prices on this thread

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No suggestions. Just wanted to say I have the same problem. Fresh fruits and veggies are extremely expensive right now. We eat a lot of frozen veggies, but I try to buy some fresh fruit each week (though I do have some canned too). Even Aldi's hasn't had much fruit. We've been mostly buying bananas, apples and grapes. There for a little while i wasn't even getting grapes because every place wanted $2 plus for a pound.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Grapes for $2/pound is a good deal in my area. Safeway recently had red seedless for $1/lb and I snatched up a few pounds for this week (they were imported from Peru).

Is there a local farmstand you can visit? It might be worth looking into local produce to see what they have available. They should also be able to provide you with other resources in your area for seasonal veg/fruit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Cucumbers are very expensive just at the minute, at our supermarket they were about £1.18! Talk about sticker shock! I went for beetroot instead. Cauliflowers are really expensive too - I use them alot but resisted paying £1 for one this week. I'm going with cavelo nero and stuff like that just now - cheap and very versatile. I'm not a huge fruit fan but need to get it down me so have been buying smoothies recently - they work out cheaper than trying to buy the fruit individually (not to mention the fact I'd never get round to cleaning the blender, lol). DH has been extending his knowledge of apples over the last little while. He used to be a strictly 'golden delicious' chap but now depending on the season he eats every other variety instead.

I love celeriac - we usually add it to mash, make soup, roast it or make into rosti with potatoes and onions (and sometimes sprouts). I like sprouts too, other than steaming them and adding a big dollop of horseradish we use them in stir fry, I'm sure there's loads of things to be done with them though. Am I odd in that I celebrate when I see the first local sprouts of the year go on sale?

I like the fact that alot of the supermarkets are catching onto the idea of selling a selection of veg for a cheaper price each week, I think virtually everywhere does that now. We're kind of lucky that we shop at a local supermarket so prices are different every time depending on what they have most of, but there is a sharp intake of breath at times I can tell you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I suppose it is out of season for cucumbers, but never ever seen them at that price before now. I havent bought one for months, but I do love them in pitta bread with lettuce and houmus.

I went to Tesco around 5pm yesterday to get chicken for todays dinner and a lot of fruit, veg and herbs were reduced probably due to people not going out because of the weather. Managed to get an organic cauli reduced from £1.28 to 0.32p and 2 punnets of plums for 25p each.

I'm going to make a habit of checking the offers on fruit and veg at the 3 supermarkets near me. I've gone back to basics (again) and making a lot from scratch and using less meat so rely on cheap veg for the main part of our meals. I'm loving the challenge though and hopefully it means we will see more money left at the end of the month to throw at our debts

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sainsbury's basics don't cost a ton, but there is also a limited variety of things to buy. If you don't mind small onions, a bag is 50p, baking and salad potatoes are also less than 75p per bag (can't remember exact price).

Lemons are 59p per bag of 6 (but they are small).

Frozen fruit (again basics brand) is around 1 GBP/ bag of mixed fruit.

Lately, I've been finding much better deals at open air markets and I'm planning on trying them out next weekend. Many have bowls of fruit for a pound. I saw lemons for 10p each (and they looked decent).

Carrots are also usually fairly inexpensive.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the tips AdamantEve. Re the onions, Lidl have a net of 6 large onions on offer at 34p, so I have several of them as they keep for ages and I use a lot of them. Will also make onion chutney when I get around to it.

I had forgotten a link that I havent used much but should make more use of, you can compare prices at Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys and Ocado (not in my area) on www.mysupermarket.co.uk

I love that we can talk about this on here, when in real life it would be such a boring conversation!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I consider sprouting seeds and beans as my little garden-in-a-jar and a real budget saver for fresh veggies. We use a lot of sprouts in the winter when fresh veggies aren't really "fresh" at all, and very low in nutrition from long storage and shipping.

You can make all kinds of sprouts and they are great as sandwich toppers instead of expensive lettuce. Sprouts are also the highest form of nutrition you can grow for yourself.

I also depend on frozen vegetables (especially those from our garden), and I also dehydrate a lot of garden produce. We use dehydrated zucchini instead of potato chips.

If you have a nice sunny window you can grow leaf lettuce and spinach in planters or flower pots all winter long. I also consider my indoor herbs a source of "vegetables". If you have chives, parsley and thyme, you have a lot of nutrition packed into those three. I have a couple AeroGardens -http://www.aerogrow.com/ - and can grow many different kinds of veggies and herbs in them. Or set up a grow-light and grow some of your own greens.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

"They" say frozen vegetables have more vitamins than fresh so check out the prices in the frozen food section.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Aldi do a section of 6 veg a week on special offer - i normally buy those and Tesco have also started to do a veg offer every week. I have to say though that im finding it cheaper to buy tinned or frozen veg even though i prefer fresh. Also Tesco ( well our local one anyway) always tend to have fruit and veg on the reduced counter - some you wouldnt touch lol but the potatoes and carrots etc tend to be absolutly fine!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by tiff View Post
    Thanks for the tips AdamantEve. Re the onions, Lidl have a net of 6 large onions on offer at 34p, so I have several of them as they keep for ages and I use a lot of them. Will also make onion chutney when I get around to it.

I had forgotten a link that I havent used much but should make more use of, you can compare prices at Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys and Ocado (not in my area) on www.mysupermarket.co.uk
    Hi Tiff, I have 5 pounds for grocery shopping this week (good thing that my stockpile is in excellent shape) so I will be heading to Lidl when I need something- this week that will be just fresh veg and milk). Thanks for reminding me about Lidl's produce prices.

I also do use mysupermarket.co.uk frequently and it does save me a TON (as long as I can resist the sales on junk-food).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Grainlady View Post
    I consider sprouting seeds and beans as my little garden-in-a-jar and a real budget saver for fresh veggies. We use a lot of sprouts in the winter when fresh veggies aren't really "fresh" at all, and very low in nutrition from long storage and shipping.

You can make all kinds of sprouts and they are great as sandwich toppers instead of expensive lettuce. Sprouts are also the highest form of nutrition you can grow for yourself.

I also depend on frozen vegetables (especially those from our garden), and I also dehydrate a lot of garden produce. We use dehydrated zucchini instead of potato chips.

If you have a nice sunny window you can grow leaf lettuce and spinach in planters or flower pots all winter long. I also consider my indoor herbs a source of "vegetables". If you have chives, parsley and thyme, you have a lot of nutrition packed into those three. I have a couple AeroGardens -http://www.aerogrow.com/ - and can grow many different kinds of veggies and herbs in them. Or set up a grow-light and grow some of your own greens.
    I must get round to sprouting seeds and beans, I've seen it mentioned on a UK forum but never tried it. Not even sure if my family would eat it, but I would.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiff View Post
    2 punnets of plums for 25p each.
    i got some plums aswell but not for that price, mine were half price or £2 off anyway they were worth buying.

i like sushi and tend to go late at night at see if they have any discounted ones i got a £3 sized tesco sushi pack for half price, i dont tend to pay full pricefor sushi - but now im making it myself so its even cheaper

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi Bourne,

Where do you get your sushi recipes from? DH recently started making his own and is always on the lookout for new ideas.

TIA

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

do any of you have any markets near you? sometime the prices tend to be a bit less than the shops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast