Do You Have A Pantry?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Do You Have A Pantry?

And if so what kind of stuff do you like to keep in it? would you class it as a "stockpile" or is it more just like an extra packet of your most frequently used stuff?

Mine started off just as "buy one extra" of whatever when we went shopping but has developed over time to have different ingredients so we can make purely pantry based meals. We don't keep huge amounts but I think if I put my mind to it we'd be good for at least a month...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I dont have room for a stockpile, not yet anyway if we get this flat we put an offer in for that there is a huge pantry.

If something is on offer i will get more than i need and save for another day, i try and shop sales and offers. i hope to pick things up very cheap or on a deal and slowly build it up that way. I will always take advantage on a good deal.
    Last edited by Bournecrazy; 02-11-2009 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I havent got a pantry as such but seriously thinking about stockpiling. Food has gone up so much, some things have more than doubled in price so it makes sense to do it in order to save money and for if we are ever on a reduced income. I'm taking great inspiration from the stockpiling threads on this forum.

I just need to sort out some storage space before I start buying loads of stuff.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi Tiff,

IKWYM, seeing the pictures here makes me think more about it. I know DH would draw the line at me having stuff outside the kitchen but I have 3 cupboards where I keep my canned and packet foods. I also have a wardrobe where I keep my large amounts of t.p, toothpaste and soap - he is impressed at how tidy I keep it but does poke fun at me a little when we get low on things and I start ferreting about it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our pantry stores canned goods, spices, stuff like brown sugar, pickles, etc. It also has most of our small appliances, dog food bin, recycle bins, odds and ends like plastic pitchers, and other stuff too numerous to mention.

We stock up when there are sales, but don't really stockpile. We could probably go a couple months or so buying minimal groceries if we had to, using what's in the freezer, pantry, and side by side fridge.

Registered User thesightofoneself's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

our pantry has everyday foods. i have totes for my stockpile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we have a small pantry (the size of a small linen closet) and we have the beginnings of a stockpile. I had it quite stocked but we had to use it up due to DH's work situation the past two months. I hope to build it back up again soon. We keep baking needs (flour, sugar, baking powder/soda, etc), canned fruits and veggies, condiments, and dry goods all in ours.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i would love a proper pantry, mum lives in an old house and has a huge one - she keeps all foodstuff in there. Unfortunatly i dont have one, anything i stockpile goes in the top of the built in wardrobes, however i have a poor stockpile really. I do have 3 freezers though and we probably have 3 mo plus in there, we always have alot of unexpected souls for dinner on weekends so its a good job lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I used to have a system '1 in use - 1 in stock' and that worked really well. With the [email protected] kitchen we had in the new apartment - no storing space at all - that system was gone and occasionally we found ourselves without something. Now with the new kitchen I plan to get going again. There still isn't enough space for an actual stockpile.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i have an extra shelf that is really too high for me to reach without a stool. I have a bit of a stockpile building up there. I have canned tomatoes from Costco (30p/can), I have three stacks of tuna that I bought for half price, BBQ sauces and salsas that I bought on clearence, bulk cornbread mix (because I miss it when I don't go to the US for a while). Basically, I decided to buy the things I use a lot in bulk at Costco if it was cheaper than buying it at a grocery store.

I also buy meats at Costco and package them into smaller portions and freeze them. It really stretches it out and I spend a lot less that way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We just bought our first home this past Oct (we are not living in it yet..due to renovations) there is a huge walk in pantry..the previous owner's daughter told my dh and I that her Dad purposely added extra footage on when building their home so his wife could have a stockpile room..of coarse this was in 1964 and I think it might have been a standard thing to do back then? Anyway I can't wait to move in next month and have the dream kitchen along with the pantry I've alway's dreamed of...I consider myself very lucky to have the pantry as you or at least myself just doesn't see this in homes anymore..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a couple of largish book cases In my basement laundry room that I use as a pantry area. I have canned goods, boxed goods, basically anything I have multiples of or have bought in baulk such as apple sauce cups (from Sam's club) onions and potatoes in brown paper bags, excess paper goods, small kitchen appliances such as crock pot and bread maker.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Brenda... I'm totally jealous of your walk-in pantry!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Agreed, I would love a walk in pantry - my pantry is more of a state of mind than a physical place!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AdamantEve View Post
    Brenda... I'm totally jealous of your walk-in pantry!

Thank you!! LOL...

A little background on my family of 5.... I've been waiting many years to live in something bigger than this trailer we live in and never dreamed we would even be able to buy a home let along a home that has so many extra's like a walk in pantry room..All my dreams came true when buying this house.. I can finally have enough room(most of my stash is stored in my Mil's basement and she lives10 minutes away from us) to store everything I've been wanting to stockpile in the convience of my own home..not someone elses..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast