Low cost breakfast and cereals
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Low cost breakfast and cereals

I did a search of the main forum and found several threads about low cost breakfast ideas. We used to buy cheerios, sugar puffs etc but the cost of those has risen to £2.99 a box, plus they arent that healthy so I had to change what we eat.

Tesco and Asda value porridge oats are 58p a kg so I have stocked up on those. My kids will eat that with different things stirred into it during the winter but would want something different for summer time. Asda's own brand shreddies (malted wheats) are £1.34 a box (750g)or 2 for £2 at the moment so I have stocked up on those, also in Asda Sunbisk weetabix, 36 in a box for 75p.

Its coming up to pancake day in the UK so I will make a load of pancakes for the freezer to have as a treat.

Of course there is always good old toast and marmalade too.

Re the oats, if anyone wants a microwave flapjack recipe I can post it. I saw it on another forum yesterday and made some today, its all made in a jug and takes 3 or 4 mins microwave time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here is a granola recipe that works really well in place of cereal! My kids like it in a bowl with a little bit of milk! I've changed the recipe that I use to make it healthier and cheaper, but its still about the same. I just only use the peanut butter, honey and oatmeal. It does just as well, but doesn't have the fat of the butter, and I'm not wasting any vanilla. And as far as preserving it with the salt, a batch doesn't last more than a few days around here!

Here is the link:
    https://www.frugalvillage.com/forums/...hlight=granola

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i have the cheaper tescos porridge oats too they are good for breakfast and cooking with.

I would like the recipe for the microwave flapjacks, sound yummy

Other than the oats i have tesco's own version of crunchy nut cornflakes they are much cheaper than the brand name and you get more in the box, i will only buy brand name if its on sale or i can get it for free. Saying that my tesco clubcard statement came thru and i have a £7 off voucher for my shopping, i did have a £6.50 off too but i used that on a few ready meals and a packet of sushi - not the best items to buy kind awanted to save it for the shopping but hopefully i wont need to buy much this time as i havent used much of what i got last time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

id love the microwave flapjack recipe!

I make alot of porridge in the winter months - nice cheap filling brekkie.

At the moment we are having smoothies with all the cheap fruit im getting - they can be nice and filling although the kids want cereal with theirs, I only ever buy cereal when its on offer in Tescos and Aldi do a nice range of the kids cereals.

In the summer i make my own museli with dried fruit, oats etc

and we have been having scrambled eggs every 2nd morning or so - thats free - cant get much cheaper than that lol

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

DH makes his own museli too with porridge oats, bran, seeds and dried dates. I like Jordans and Dorset cereals so I dilute that with porridge so a box lasts a month now which is easier on the pocket!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here's the microwave flapjack recipe, they were seriously good although I will increase the quantity as my tin might have been a bit big for this recipe. I just made plain ones but will make some with raisins in later.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Quick--Easy-...pe-on-a-Budget

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Rice is frequently used as a breakfast cereal here. My kids prefferred it warmed up but will eat it cold as well. You can add sugar, butter, fruit, and so forth and it doesn't matter if you use white or brown.

Stale/going stale bread can frequently be easily gotten ahold of for free or next to it. I turn this into French toast and freeze it.

Leftover pasta with a drop of butter and salt is another good option. Most of us prefer it heated up but I'ce got one that wants it straight from the fridge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have stopped using the brand name cereals and my kids refuse to eat the Aldi/Lidl brands.
    They also won't eat porridge (which both DH and I LOVE).

I have found out that they love rice cakes (snack a jack, but then generic) and crackers (also generic).
    These two items cost around € 0.25 for a whole packet which with various toppings make a light but filling breakfast.
    Every couple of days or so we make eggs in one form or another.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

if your kids wont eat generic brands would they notice the difference if you put the generic packet of cereal in a brand name box and dont say anything?

i would consider doing that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Stale/going stale bread can frequently be easily gotten ahold of for free or next to it. I turn this into French toast and freeze it.
    That is a really good idea. I'm going to do that!

Also, I think someone posted a recipe for making instant oats somewhere on FV, but I can't remember for sure!

I haven't done it yet, but I was thinking about trying the sainsbury's basics brand yoghurt (it's about 47p for a very large pot). I could add a drop of jam, fruit, homemade granola, seeds or whatever and have a nice breakfast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is a really good idea. I'm going to do that!

Also, I think someone posted a recipe for making instant oats somewhere on FV, but I can't remember for sure!

I haven't done it yet, but I was thinking about trying the sainsbury's basics brand yoghurt (it's about 47p for a very large pot). I could add a drop of jam, fruit, homemade granola, seeds or whatever and have a nice breakfast.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The only cereal we eat is homemade with whole grains that I mill at home (farina, Cream of Rice, granola, multi-grain cereal blends for cooked cereal, flaked grain, etc.) - no commercial cereals purchased.

Cereal is just one source of grain for breakfast. We also eat all these homemade goodies: Oat Farls (an Irish oat scone) and an assortment of other scones, muffins, homemade breakfast bars, pancakes/waffles, French toast, crumpets, English Muffins, baked donuts, coffee cake, baked wheat pudding, cinnamon rolls, pecan rolls, toast and cheese or toast and peanut butter, quick breads (pumpkin bread, banana bread, etc.), raisin bread, ... Homemade granola topping homemade yogurt or kefir is one of my favorite breakfasts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Bournecrazy View Post
    if your kids wont eat generic brands would they notice the difference if you put the generic packet of cereal in a brand name box and dont say anything?

i would consider doing that.
    Tried it and they noticed immediately and didn't eat it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about getting some cheap museli and added your own stuff and pick n mix for the kids or homemade granola

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah, since I posted I've been making granola. After trial and error I abandoned recipes as they didnt seem to have enough liquid to make it clumpy. Now I just bung in honey, oil/butter and cinammon and it works fine.

I made a load yesterday, trouble is it doesnt last long!