Does anyone do OAMC
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Does anyone do OAMC

I dont do this as such but looking on a lot of american site as given me some ideas
    1, WHen i buy Mincemeat (only get meat when it low code) i have tried both browning with tvp, onions, celery ect and putting in meal size rolls AND bagging flat on its own for meal sizes.
    2, Any other meat and chicken, turkey legs (low coded) slowcooked and then bagged meal sized and dont forget what liquid surplus you have made into soup
    3, any low coded products either frozen right away, and used within a month i do this with mushroom, onions and potato stuff(jacket pot, wedges ect)
    4. When i have a day off from work i MAke up pizza dough, hm quiches hm pies anything to help me doing heavy cooking in the week
    5.have a few more but what do you guys do ?
    6. in the homestead section there is a wonder section by i think the ladies name (sorry its in my saved) is canadian gardener please read it
    Last edited by she who can not cook; 04-16-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: sent it too quick not finished

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't do oamc as such, as I like cooking from scratch during the week. But I do some batch cooking when I know I'm going to be busy, so I can just shove things from the freezer straight into the remoska and that's that.

I will mainly make things like falafel, beanburgers, lentil bolognaise, chilli, curries, vegetable pie, sausage casserole and things like that. I'll probably make 4 meals worth of each and freeze them. Then after a month if we've not needed tham I'll menu plan for a week to use everything up then start again.

If bread is reduced or on offer we buy that and stick it in the freezer too. I'm not s huge fan of frozen peppers and suchlike but if I spot one of those huge basics tubs of mushrooms going cheap I will buy it, slice the mushrooms and stick them in the freezer for later use.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default plugging myself here

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

britbunny - great idea to do a clean out of the freezer and start again - keeps everything up to date and you're in control!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by britbunny View Post
    I don't do oamc as such, as I like cooking from scratch during the week. But I do some batch cooking when I know I'm going to be busy, so I can just shove things from the freezer straight into the remoska and that's that.

I will mainly make things like falafel, beanburgers, lentil bolognaise, chilli, curries, vegetable pie, sausage casserole and things like that. I'll probably make 4 meals worth of each and freeze them. Then after a month if we've not needed tham I'll menu plan for a week to use everything up then start again.

If bread is reduced or on offer we buy that and stick it in the freezer too. I'm not s huge fan of frozen peppers and suchlike but if I spot one of those huge basics tubs of mushrooms going cheap I will buy it, slice the mushrooms and stick them in the freezer for later use.
    Could you please give us the lentil bolognaise??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Virtually everything apart from the lentils and tomatoes are optional in this recipe! I add any veg I have - finely chopped onion, celery, carrots, courgettes, mushrooms,peppers etc

LENTIL BOLOGNAISE

Serves 4

80g red split lentils (or a mixture of red and green)
    1tbsp oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 small carrots, finely diced
    2 small courgettes finely diced (or any other veg you have)
    handful of sliced mushrooms
    a handful of spinach or other green leafy veg
    400g (13oz) can tomatoes
    1/4 pint veg stock
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 tsp dried herbs - majoram, thyme, oregano or whatever
    1 tsp marmite (yeast extract)
    salt and pepper

pasta to serve

Rinse the lentils put them into a pan of cold water, bring to the boil then turn of the heat, leave while you prepare the rest of the veg! Then drain.

Heat the oil and fry the onion, garlic and carrots, cook for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the other veg (apart from the spinach) and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato paste and herbs.

Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, add the lentils, spinach and marmite. Turn the heat right down and simmer for as long as you can cope with before you want to eat. If the sauce is too thin add some water, if it's too thick add some porridge oats or more red lentils.