What happening with everyone in Europe - it's so quiet!!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default What happening with everyone in Europe - it's so quiet!!

Has no one got anything to tell?

After coming back from vacation to the US at the end of August, it seems like we have been caught up in a tornado.
    Kids back at university, me back at teaching, birthdays, a wedding (oldest son), conference with dh in Belgium, everyone getting sick with bads colds or flu and we've only been back 5 weeks.

So what's been happening with everyone?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi Dutchie,

Sounds like you've had a lot going on!

Things here are very much in a transitional stage really. DH has started his new job which he loves, but it is 50 minutes drive away so it's quite expensive and also it's a big change for him to be out of the house for such a long time.

Our house is up for sale, we have had some interest but reliant on other people selling houses first so we're not holding our breath. So I have been showing people round and doing the whole estate agent bit :-) It's a matter of waiting at the minute so it feels a little like we can't plan too much but on the other hand there is so much to plan. Busy times.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgive me if I ask something that you have already mentioned in your other posts but where are you moving to?

How are the plans for your wedding?

Yes, things are very hectic here. As I said, we have only been back for 5 weeks but honestly it feels like 5 months.

Nice to hear from you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I think it may be Bournecrazy that's getting ready for a wedding, I've already done that bit!

I don't know if I have said before, but we are moving to the North-West coast, to a place called Lytham StAnnes. It's alot more expensive than where we are currently so I am in ultra frugal mode to make the transition more smooth.

Itu how you feel about the holiday seeming like a lifetime ago, it's amazing how quickly we get back into the old routines and out of holiday mode.

Have a great day, I have just taken some muffins out of the oven so that's my day on the up, lol.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by britbunny View Post
    Hi,

I think it may be Bournecrazy that's getting ready for a wedding, I've already done that bit!

I don't know if I have said before, but we are moving to the North-West coast, to a place called Lytham StAnnes. It's alot more expensive than where we are currently so I am in ultra frugal mode to make the transition more smooth.

Itu how you feel about the holiday seeming like a lifetime ago, it's amazing how quickly we get back into the old routines and out of holiday mode.

Have a great day, I have just taken some muffins out of the oven so that's my day on the up, lol.
    I'm so sorry for getting you mixed up with Bournecrazy.

I happen to know Lytham St. Annes, or at least I used to.
    It is a really, really nice to place to live.
    Do you know where I met my dh.... in Blackpool which is of course around the corner from Lytham. But that was 34 years ago - omg, that makes me feel old.

Good luck with the selling of your house, I hope it happens soon.

Here they have said that there seems to be a turnaround in the house sales/economy but, even though we personally aren't selling or moving, I can't see it at all. (One of my hobbies is having a daily look at a website for house sales.)
    In our neighborhood in the past, houses never even came on the market, they were sold via word of mouth. Now, there are houses for sale here that have been on the market for about 2 years. Not good!
    I follow the BBC somewhat but I think that your politicians are saying the same thing regarding the housing market - do you see any improvement in general? Or regarding the economy?

I like muffins, hint, hint!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Help yourself to a virtual muffin :-)

DH's new job is actually in Blackpool, he has a tower view from his desk and everything!

The housing market is a bit of a mixed bag at the minute, luckily for us we're in the bit of it that's moving - we're in a small(ish) terrace so it's good for first time buyers as well as families. We thought all our viewers would be first timers but they're not - people wanting to move here for the good location (if there is such a thing in this town, lol) We have had 4 viewings in the first 3 weeks so I think that's pretty good. But I see some houses that have been on the market for over 12 months, others have simply given up trying to sell - everyone is looking for a bargain and some people just can't afford to be overly flexible with the asking price. Our house is on for a good £10 - 12,000 less than it would have been 18 months ago, so for people with bigger houses than us it must hurt a great deal.

There are alot of people around stuck in negative equity just now which is a real shame for them, but they paid too much out of desperation to "get on the ladder" a couple of years ago. Problems are especially apparent when we head over to the Fylde to look for houses as there are quite a few reposessions and also houses bought by developers and remain unfinished due to cash flow problems. Also there are a fair amount of new build properties on the market for way below what the projected value would have been at the time of planning.

We are in a good position really as we have a small mortgage on this house - we have bee overpaying, but even though we're stepping up to a more expensive area the difference isn't as huge as it might have been, iyswim.

Regarding the economy in general things seem different depending on where we go. Where we live at the minute is called a "deprived" area so there's always been pretty high unemployment, the main thing is the amount of small businesses closing down. The town centre is dying, two shops on the same street as the charity shop I volunteer at closed down just last week and I don't really see much change of improvement soon.

But when we visit friends or go into Manchester things seem a little more lively, but having said that, there aren't as many shopping bags as we are used to seeing so I think people are being more careful. And going back to the charity shop donations are well down (both stock and money) and the quality is very poor. Not to mention the amount of shoplifting and haggling we're having to contend with just now. It's difficult.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its always the same that charity goes first i know it is sad but a fact of life. The thing that is annoying me is no good food sales. i remember when i used to go in tesco on my lunch and buy half price meat and chicken ect not any more .... btw forgive me for not being on much doing my tma at the ou

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's been a really busy year with us, what with the wedding, honeymoon and now saving like mad for a house (not to mention Christmas and everyone's birthday falling in the last two months of the year!). Hopefully things will be calming down here, giving me more time to concentrate on the money saving and frugal things again. I'm continuing to learn new things to cook and a way to save money in doing so, and I'm trying to get caught up on some sewing projects so I can move on to new projects for Christmas present next year

I've been really concentrating on getting the sewing done - I take it to work with me and it stops me from going into town and spending, and I'm trying to cut tins of fizzy pop from my diet by replacing it with the cheaper brands of squash. This isn't really working, as all it takes is a really heavy night's sleep and I end up reaching for an energy drink *sigh* It's an on-going process.

Kitchenbunny xx