I don't know how you do it...
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I don't know how you do it...

I went to the UK for my first time a few months ago, bf was born and raised there. I don't know how you guys do it with everything so expensive. The only think I found that was cheaper than here was groceries, in fact that seemed much cheaper, but the housing and fuel (petrol I should say ) was so outrageous. I did like the option of so much public transport, where as here, if your not in a big city, you are out of luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The UK is notorious for it's high prices. I don't know where you stayed, but I do know that people living in London get a 2000 GBP tax profit to help them with the higher costs of living.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just moved from the US to Denmark and my British friends tell me that DK is even more expensive than the UK, due to the 25% VAT. I'm glad I'm used to living simply and below my means otherwise, this would've been a very difficult move. A lot of Americans have a hard time moving here, but I think I must be European at heart because I feel like I fit here, better than I did in the US. I do however miss US thrift shops. The ones here are much smaller and not nearly as good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, 25% VAT is steep. Now we have our all singing-all dancing spangly new government there are rumours we'll be going up from 17.5% to 20% VAT. Deep joy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

the housing prices vary depending what city you are looking in, me & FDH were lucky in getting our flat at 55k, petrol I agree is expensive we just manage on a full tank to last us two weeks and we fill it up every payday it costs us about £50 to do so unless we have to take a long trip it will last. We are due to go to London to a concert next month and need to budget in extra petrol money - probably another full tank

Grocery shopping is cheaper if you get generic store brand items, lately i have been getting brand names for a few things instead of store own but only if they are on offer or more longer lasting. I used to get my washing up liquid from the poundstore 2 bottles for £1 and because it was cheap it didnt last long - quality wise, but i bough some brand name on offer - and the bottle has only just become empty and ive had it 3 months maybe more. Some things are worth paying a little bit more for.

I think it just depends on where abouts you go to what the prices are like.

And yes Tina150 public transport is great in the citys and the big villages and towns. Some small villages in the countryside are lacking a regular bus service.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Bournecrazy View Post
    And yes Tina150 public transport is great in the citys and the big villages and towns. Some small villages in the countryside are lacking a regular bus service.
    I think one of the biggest misconceptions that Americans have about Europe is the quality and availability of public transportation.

I pay about $6 each way to ride the bus to work. If I don't buy a multi-pass, it's about $12 each way. The bus only runs once an hour in peak times, less frequently off peak.

Outside of major cities we do not have amazing public transportation, and the transportation we do have is expensive. However when you look at 180% car registration tax and $8 gallon petrol, the bus doesn't look so bad, except in the dead of winter when it's a 1/2 mile plus walk or bike ride to and from the bus stop in the wind and snow.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

transport in our town is quite good, the bus I get if i am going to town to work comes every 10 minutes (or every 30 depending what bus i get) and the same for going back home. The buses also run up to 23:00 every night.

There isnt a railway station in the town where i live but in the next 'big' town 3 mile away you can get the train to most places and have regular trips to London 4/5 times an hour and to the nearest citys. I can see the airport from my window (its not noisy, get the occational night flight go over, does bother me tho) and I am 2 seconds away from the motorway (can't hear that either) Im lucky where I live it is easy to get around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I couldn't believe the awesome and cheap public transit available in Berlin and Copenhagen. Out here, it's a whole other story. A bunch of Americans must've gone on vacation to the cities of Europe, got back home and started telling everyone how great European public transit is...lol!

Made it kind of difficult to make my US friends understand my dilemma in trying to decide whether or not I should suck up the registration tax and bring a car. They were all like, "you'll be in Europe, you don't need a car". But there are some places I can't get to on the bus and cabs are outrageously expensive. I feel so trapped sometimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could you do a motorcycle instead?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
    Could you do a motorcycle instead?
    Registration tax is still 180% and I'm not comfortable riding a motorcycle. I just need to adapt.