Using coupons in the UK
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Using coupons in the UK

I went to Asda this morning for two reasons: (1) They're open 24 hours and I was up and (2) they are doing a promotion at the minute where you get £40 worth of vouchers if you spend £40. We're having a party today for my FIL's 80th birthday, so I knew I'd spend the £40 and I'll use about £25 of the £40 vouchers, so I thought it was worth it.

I had a few coupons printed from online that I took with me. I put these items in my trolley and for the items they didn't have in stock, I put those coupons in my bag for use at a later date. When I got to the till, the woman tells me I can't use the coupons. When I asked her why she said, "Well, you have to actually purchase the items to use the coupons."

Isn't that the point of coupons?

Do people in this country actually try to use coupons for things they haven't bought? This woman on the till seemed shocked that I was actually buying the items for which I had coupons. What gives, people?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad I'm not alone in thinking this is a bit weird!

MIL works as a cashier at a large supermarket and apparently it happens all the time. Akaik many of the big supermarkets did used to allow this as long as they stocked the item on the coupon. However people started to abuse this - especially when self-scan tills came into use, so it was stopped.

I've seen lots of people on other forums complain about this ban but I think it's only fair really. I always thought I was the oddity for thinking it wasn't on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm off to Asda again this morning, with their own coupon book and a few more coupons that I printed from beforeishop. I've also done a pre-shop on mysupermarket, so I know that, unless the cashier tells me I can't use coupons for things I've bought again, I should get £72 worth of groceries for £43. Watch this space!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Peaches View Post
    I'm off to Asda again this morning, with their own coupon book and a few more coupons that I printed from beforeishop. I've also done a pre-shop on mysupermarket, so I know that, unless the cashier tells me I can't use coupons for things I've bought again, I should get £72 worth of groceries for £43. Watch this space!
    My final total was £85.88, £59.12 after coupons. I had a few christmas things in there along with my weekly shop. The lady on the till was very nice, but still wasn't sure if she could accept coupons that weren't from the store itself. After that I went to Boots, where I got a few stocking stuffers for my daughter, also with coupons. The lady on the till had never seen one, asked me what they were and what was she supposed to do with them?

I'm getting really annoyed with the whole couponing situation in this country. I don't understand why on earth manufacturers make coupons available for consumers to download and print, but retailers haven't a clue what they are supposed to do with them, if they can accept them, whether they're being scammed, etc. I lived in the U.S. for 26 years, where coupons are the norm. But here? I'm having an expat moment!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We do have a weird relationship with coupons over here. Until a couple of years ago no-one I know would have used them and people are still a bit weird about it (by people, I mean normal people not frugal types).

I think part of the reason is that we have pretty poorly trained staff in lots of stores and they just don't know what they can and can't accept. But I agree with you, if the coupons are there then there shouldn't be a huge song and dance when you want to use them. I never use printable coupons for this reason, the saving is just never worth the messing about you have to go through to get the discount imo.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you tell where to find the Asda coupons since Fiori is doing most of her grocery shopping at Asda and I can send them to her or use them myself when i am in London next week.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi,

The before I shop site is good for printable vouchers for particular brands. The Asda vouchers are in store but I think you have to spend £40 to get the voucher book (but I could be wrong)

beforeIshop? - money-saving grocery offers - money saving grocery offers

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thank you - this is really exciting for us.

Unfortunately the pizza express one expires on Nov. 14.

We were going to have lunch there on Thurs nov. 18th.

I forwarded the link to Fiori.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by britbunny View Post
    Hi,

The before I shop site is good for printable vouchers for particular brands. The Asda vouchers are in store but I think you have to spend £40 to get the voucher book (but I could be wrong)

beforeIshop? - money-saving grocery offers - money saving grocery offers
    please take care with that site and the other one i printed tesco stain removers stuff 2.00 coupon they would NOT take it ( i was moaning on money expert) because tesco does not take printed net coupon cos I could have photocopied them

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well we are back from London and I did register - as BB suggested - with pizza express for their newsletter and got a voucher for the 2nd main course for free - if we donated 1 pound to Oxfam.

Well it really worked out - saved us about 6 pounds.