Breathing new life into the European Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Breathing new life into the European Thread

How is everyone in Europe?
    How was everyone's Christmas and New Year?

We had a relatively quiet Christmas. 10 days before Christmas my youngest son's girlfriend broke up with him completely out of the blue leaving him heartbroken and with no idea what had happened. 4 days later the same happened with my middle son.
    We too are upset since we were convinced that these girls were 'the ones' for our boys and we too didn't have an inkling that something was wrong.

On the 26th December, I came down with a very bad bout of flu which is still leaving me tired.
    (The news here is already talking about an epidemic so although it's no consolation - a lot of people have it too.)
    Thankfully hubby was also off work and he looked after me really well.

So, how was your Christmas and New Year?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hugs Im sorry for all the bad things that have happened to you and your family Dutchie, I hope 2013 will be better for you.

I have been sleeping a lot on christmass and new years day as I had the night shift on the 24th and the 1st... Part of the job, but not the nicest experience.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you work in a hospital?

I was just thinking as I wrote this - we probably only live about 1 hour away from each other.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hello - various greetings to Europe: sorry, I can't write Flemish/Dutch so you can only have English, French, German - Hello, Salut, Bonjour, Guten Tag, Hallo . . .

I just picked out this thread because you wrote you were breathing new life into the European thread. I'm not sure the UK ever believes itself to be a real part of Europe. As long as we retain our Pound Sterling, I suppose we'll just be a Distant Cousin.

It's grey, dull, damp and chilly here but "mild" for the time of year. As I write, I can see lights flickering on across the rooftops towards the next village - and it's not yet 4 p.m. Nevertheless, I KNOW the hours of daylight are increasing, at least on paper.

I've spent the greater part of the day, so far, trying to balance the books after the spending season. I do it all by paper and pen - no computer-generated system for me - remembering my school arithmetic lesson of how to do long division and how to do percentages . . . I think the money is in balance but I'm now going to research a new, cash-back credit card (ho hum!) on-line, and also give some serious thought to a Health-Cash-Back insurance plan - to supplement the free NHS medical care we have here. As I grow older (and don't even TRY to take things easy), more bits creak and groan and all the NHS will offer to an oldie is "Go home and rest". Grrrrrr! I pay to go to a great physiotherapist in a Sports Injury Clinic, when I can't heal myself.

Ooops - sorry: bit of a rant, there

Bonne et heureuse Annee (no accents) Paix, Bonheur et Sante - Alles Gute im neuen Jahr - Happy New Year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

@Toffee: Hallo was the correct one for both Flemish and Dutch .
    We have had similar weather, lots of rain and grey skies. I would nearly want it to start freezing again. Nearly, not literally although it should by the end of the week if Im correct.
    I am sorry your free medical system is crappy. However some minimal free care is better than no free care at all... I am pretty sure that some of our American friends would be delighted to have even that little amount of covering. However it is easy talking when you are part of one of the better systems in the world.

@Dutchie, no. I work in the chemical sector. Unfortunately the job I am doing is asking a bit more than Im physically able to do. Im about 160 cm/5ft2... So I ll probably have to look for another job next month when they need to decide to hire me or fire me.
    I think it is a bit more in time actually. Especially if you take the FYRA... Although Im not good in gambling distances in the Netherlands, I barely know what is on what side of the country.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

@ Toffee - I too prefer to do things the old-fashioned way on paper but I am increasingly being lovingly pushed into the world of excel etc. - which I hate. I always lose some of the formulas but as long as I have a hubby who usually knows what he is doing and a computer genius for a son who can always come and fix what we mess up, I now do both which pleases both myself and hubby.

Hallo will do it for Dutch and Flemish which as languages closely resemble each other.
    Also Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar - is happy new year in Dutch (and Flemish?)

Dutch is not my mother tongue as Ayanka would probably notice in less than one minute is I were to write here in Dutch.
    I was born and raised in Scotland and moved here in 1977 to marry my Dutch hubby.

Hubby gave me the choice of where we would stay after we were married and I chose the Netherlands since I absolutely love this country. I speak perfect Dutch (at least that's what I'm told - I have my doubts sometimes) although writing Dutch still proves a challenge for me.
    The older I get (I am now 54), the more I long to move back to an English speaking country. don't know if it will ever happen though.

@ Ayanka, I hope you manage to hold onto your job. They surely cannot fire you because you are too small since you are the same height you were when you were hired for this job?
    I know that by car, Antwerp is only one hour by car from us in Rotterdam and with the Fyra, it would be much shorter.

Have a great day!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bumbling in to say hi to everyone! Glad to see you've sprinkled your magic dust onto the thread Dutchie and big cheery wave to those of you I don't know yet.

Your poor sons, how horrible for them. The flu and norovirus have been all over the place here, I can't believe I've escaped its evil grasp so far, long may that last. We're having a big frugal push this year so hopefully I remember to keep coming back here where it all began. Have a good day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm still here, too! I'm Dutch, but live in Belgium, just North of Brussels, with my dh from West-Africa. We moved to Belgium for work, and it's working out excellently!

After 5 years we're still finding our way, we have moved 3 times and hope to stay in this house for at least 5 years (to be eligible for a significant tax reduction).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Its Nieuwjaar in one word in Flemish, but yes, its the same than in Dutch.

Well, they can actually, because when firing someone in their probation time (proeftijd), you don't have to give a reason. After having had problems with my size for the last 10 months, I am on the point I would leave it to that and look for another job though. And take the experience with me.

The Fyra would be shorter if it actually rides on time, but honestly I don't get my hopes up on it. (It is a new highspeed train that has a delay in 50% of the cases and never makes it in 5%. Not lying, it was on the 7 o'clock news, again).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You are absolutely correct of course regarding both the Fyra and Nieuwjaar.
    I still make these 'rookie' mistakes in Dutch.

I have to admit that last year we took the Fyra to the airport when we went to my parents via Amsterdam/Glasgow and it only took 20 minutes from central station in Rotterdam to the airport which is really good going. The way back was jut as good and quick. I think that we were very lucky.

I'm sorry I didn't know that you were still in your probationary time in your job. Can't they find you something else which is more suitable for you maybe?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No problem Dutchie. I am more aware of the whole fyra situation because it causes a lot of trouble on the trains that ride here locally, as it is the alternative for people who can't take the fyra, cause of delays etc. I am glad it rides well on other places, then there still is hope . And I do think you speak Dutch quite well actually, this is just a detail that is not important. And well, being Belgian I always love it when people can speak a Dutch or French .

I will see what comes from the whole job situation, not that I have a lot of other options, but in the end it gets too emotionally tiring to do anything else Im affraid.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

a european thread
    Hi Everyone *waves*
    Ive only today * come back * to the village after being away for quite some time..i do recognise some of the user names though

Im Rachael, we live in Ireland

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi Rachael, good to see you back here.

How are things with you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thing are good Its been a challenging and eventful few years, DH was very sick the last 2 years and spent alot of time in hospital..hes fine now though my youngest was diagnosed with autism last year so we have been busy with appts etc

we have been plodding along though and really life is good

hows things with you..its nice to see some of the names i remember

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear your DH has recovered well and that you have a diagnosis for your youngest too.

We had a mixed bag last year, lots of illness in the family and things like that but also quite a few bright spots too. This year has started really well and there's a very positive feeling in the house at the minute. I love how everyone is returning to The Village this year! We'd been doing nothing much to save money and get the budget to work hard but this year we have plans so we're back to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast