Your day, Saturday January 12th
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Your day, Saturday January 12th

Between one thing and another, I didn't get everything done yesterday that had to be done, so I hope to get it all done
    this weekend.
    The weather is cold but glorious, so I also hope to get out and have a nice walk in the woods at some point.

Whatever you're doing - have a great day!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Back to yesterday. We watched all of the show with the old comedians, it's had a bit of a knock of effect due to all the talk of the old ABC Theatre. BPL council have bought the site which is now empty after being a nightclub with plans to knock it down , use the space as a carpark as there's a shortage of town centre parking due to the new offices blah blah blah. So people are very upset about the heritage aspect of it. I'm kind of torn about it because architecture is different to heritage, if there is enough of the building intact then maybe it would be good to turn it into a museum/heritage centre but you can't keep everything just because of what it was. Given a free choice I'd probably rather everyone put all their energy and cash into finishing tarting up the Winter Gardens and using that more. But that's just me.

Anyway, on to today. Things snowballed yesterday from me posting a picture on facebook of the fabric I got for my birthday to me going to visit one of my best friends. Neither of us are very good at making decisions but his girlfriend basically told me to get myself into gear and make arrangements. So we're heading over there this afternoon to catch up and have a few drinks. Thankfully DH doesn't mind driving me about (I can't drive) so it should be a fun day.

Enjoy your walk, it's cold but dry here too so it would be a nice day to go a'wandering. Maybe we'll get out if it's the same tomorrow. Have a good weekend everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had totally forgotten about the old ABC theatre until I saw it again on the programme.
    I don't know if you remember seeing Cliff Richard show in the programme but I was one of the people in the audience at one point.
    My mother always used to love going to shows all over the place and I was always taken along which I didn't appreciate at the time.

The other thing that we saw was the old Grand Theatre. I am so glad that it has been done up and is being used again. When we were in Blackpool in the 70's, it was already closed and there was talk of tearing it down for something.
    In our last days in Blackpool, we actually took photos of all the places we used to use as our 'haunts' so that we would be able to remember them, knowing that they would probably not be there later.

Have a great day out!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We still don't have the promised/threatened dump of snow -

MyLovelyMan, caring and conscious that while I recover from my injury, I am likely to get cabin fever, has suggested that we combine HIS bikeride (50 or so miles) with me driving to his finish point to collect him, via a couple of country market-towns on the way. The theory being that I can stop in each (if I can find a place to park, it being market day) and have a slow stroll about; outdoors, mild exercise, fresh air, a change of scenery . . . YES! I'll do it! Anything as a change from walking clockwise round this village one day, and anti-clockwise the next . . .

Earlier today, we(he) fitted a new saddle to my bike, one which allegedly is kinder on the - er - "soft tissue" parts of a woman's anatomy. Time will tell.

britbunny, I've only ever been once to Blackpool and was (be tactful, here, Toffeekit) - underwhelmed. But even places over here, on the coast,think they have heritage sites, so what do I know?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well, it wouldn't do for us all to be the same as my mum would say. Heritage doesn't stop where each of our tastes do.

Avril, yes there has been some great work done at The Grand, it looks beautiful these days. We were there at the end of November to see One Man, Two Guvnors which was excellent. It's quite impressive that they could bring such a big show. DH has been doing some work with them and the problem, in part, is getting the balance of keeping the traditional shows that people come for year in, year out and attracting new customers by bringing different types of shows. Same with lots of other venues, obviously BPL has the image that it does so attracting people to show that there is more to it than funfairs and candyfloss (or Jagermeister) is quite difficult. The art gallery has had a few quality exhibitions recently which is positive. In February is the Showzam festival which is all about magic, the circus and new music hall type things. Before funding took a hit with all the cuts they were starting to get some bigger shows such as La Clique. It's smaller these days but there are still some interesting exhibitions alongside the shows.
    I did see the Cliff Richard section - I love that you were there! It looked like a great building in the good times, but there are so many beautiful buildings in the town, well all over the Fylde but some are very underused.