Your day, Tuesday February 12th 2013
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Your day, Tuesday February 12th 2013

Really cold, dreary weather today - matches my mood perfectly.

I have to get my receipts from school sorted out for our taxes and I just cannot be bothered BLEH!!!
    (Going to do it on Thursday probably.)

I have to make a recipe book for school before this weekend and I cant be bothered BLEH!!!
    (Thursday again!)

I do have to get to school today and I can't be bothered with that either - BLEH!!!

I really just want to hibernate till spring is here - I have had it with this weather and cold and winter BLEH!!!

There seems to be a pattern here.

Have a great day!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Good morning happy person!

I believe the horse meat may be in food sold in The Netherlands too, or so it was said on the radio this morning. Yuk! There's so much bad stuff going on with food at the minute, even our beloved Cadbury's chocolate isn't the same since they were bought out by Kraft. It's horrible now. A couple of months ago Asda were selling soy milk, supposedly vegan but the added vitamin D was from fish. I have a friend who works for one of the big bread manufacturers in the UK and he was telling us about their gluten free products, to save money they started added gluten in small amounts into the bread until people started noticing and had a reaction to it, then they reduced it down a bit again and continued to sell as gluten free. And don't get me started on the supermarkets, we know someone who works for a large cereal company and the pressure they get from supermarkets is unreal. They don't have the power to stand up to supermarkets so small producers have no chance at all.

I could go on.

Not much doing today, we went out for coffee last night which was really nice but DH had to go into work early today so what we gained yesterday we've lost today! I might go to the library later otherwise I might empty a few cupboards and see if there's anything to get rid of.

Have a good day everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Horse meat is eaten here anyway - so I don't think it is a biggie. I think it is more the additives they are worried about.
    I haven't knowingly eaten it but there are even horse butcher shops here.
    If I bring it up most (older) Dutch people will say that horse meat is very good.

One of the most common junk foods eaten here (kroketten and frikandellen) both have horse meat and heaven knows what else in them.
    Frikandel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For me it's not about whether horse is good to eat or not, it's about the criminal element and fraud involved. The meat is not traceable, it could be from anywhere and treated with anything. It has been done to keep costs down regardless of the quality of the output. Whether it's safe to eat or not is irrelevant imo. If I buy something and it says it contains beef/horse/pork/mutton then that's what I expect it to contain. Food has been served in prisons that was supposed to be halal and has been found to contain pork - that is not on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That's how I feel Brit ,

Well it's another grey and miserable day here, I'm feeling really chirpy today though, no idea why though lol

Not up to much today, just been out for a long walk... My petrol tank is looking great with all the walking I'm doing instead of driving

In a while my 13 year old is making us all pancakes for lunch

Have a good day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by britbunny View Post
    For me it's not about whether horse is good to eat or not, it's about the criminal element and fraud involved. The meat is not traceable, it could be from anywhere and treated with anything. It has been done to keep costs down regardless of the quality of the output. Whether it's safe to eat or not is irrelevant imo. If I buy something and it says it contains beef/horse/pork/mutton then that's what I expect it to contain. Food has been served in prisons that was supposed to be halal and has been found to contain pork - that is not on.
    I definitely agree with you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went to sign my contract today and everything went smoothly .

Well I used to work for a food company that had deliveries from Kraft. One of their factories has taken 3 months to fill in a basic questionnaire. After those 3 months I quit, never have known if they ever bothered to fill it in. So not really impressed by Krafts quality assurance.

The best part of horse meat actually are a delicatesse inhere, which is eaten about the same way as steak.

And Dutch, honestly, I don't think they will put horse meat in Frikandellen and such, just whatever is unsellable as any kind of meat with a higher price.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Congratulations on signing your contract!!! I'm so glad it went smoothly.
    When do you start?

Actually in the article I put above, it does say that there is a small quantity of horse meat in frikandellen. Personally I think that there is just a lot of - as you say - unsellable meat in there. I really don't want to know what is in them. Thankfully I don't eat them or kroketten very often.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on signing your contract, what a relief!