Frugal Village Forums banner

My fridge/freezer died today.... :(

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Jamauk 
#1 ·
My fridge/freezer in my kitchen died today :pdoff:....thankfully we have the extra one out in the garage (in addition to the chest freezer). However, I found some great deals last week on my Coffemate creamer and on yogurt, so that fridge was almost full to begin with.

I had to absolutely stuff everything in there! A lot of my meat that was in my freezer started to thaw, so tomorrow I'll spend the day cooking so I can move a lot of what's in the fridge now to the freezer once its made into something. I sure hope it doesn't make us :puke:

Still, its a pain to have to go out to our detached garage just to get some mayo to make a sandwich......:weeping:

#5 ·
sshhhhh don't say that. My fridge has started making funny clanking sounds when the motor come on.

It should be safe if you cook it right away as you plan. What a bummer.

#6 ·
We would, except the one in the garage doesn't match the other appliances and with the house on the market it would just look funny!

DH told me I should clean out the fridge and use it as extra pantry space! The sad thing is - that thought had already occured to me! :)

#8 ·
We didn't list that the fridge stays, we were planning to use that as a negotiating tool - guess that flew out the window.....

However, since its not originally offered with the house, we don't have to disclose anything about it. If they say they want it, we just say "ok, but it doesn't work, still want it?"

As for the smell, its already getting musty in there....don't know how to fix that...

#11 ·
We STILL have the dead fridge in the kitchen!!!! We're waiting for our check from Lowes... until then... I keep the corpse with me for evidence :lol:

Sorry you have to go through this, especially NOW...

If the fridge gets all wonky smelling, people aren't going to want to linger in the kitchen, and the kitchen is considered the heart of the house...

People gave me great advice when mine keeled over (Click Me, Click Me)

#12 ·
Consider yourself fortunate that you had a back-up.

My sister's fridge/freezer quit during last week's heatwave. By the time she convinced the landlord that it was his responsibility to fix it per the terms of her lease, she'd lost $300+ worth of food. She has 4 kids, makes less than $40K/year and does everything on her own. What a horrible situation!

#13 ·
Oh my goodness!!!!!! Thankfully you had a backup fridge.

I think the Village is definitely on a roll for fridge losses in a short amount of time. Ours is on it's last legs too. It's leaking water from the freezer somewhere and not all the time. Very weird. The fridge is 19 years old though and so we're not going to try to fix it. We're just debating whether to just bite the bullet and go buy one or wait till it totally dies. It is stuffed to the brim with food. We do have another older fridge in the garage too, but that on is full too.

<sigh> never a dull moment, eh?? I'm sure your meat will be fine. Just cook it up and refreeze it :)

#18 ·
It's leaking water from the freezer somewhere and not all the time.
Our freezer was on the bottom and it did this off and on for about 2 years (well at least since we've been in the house - we think it did it quite a while before then, too).

Then, the other day I opened the freezer and everything was thawed out, then the fridge died a few hours later....it was a sad day!

#14 ·
That is horrible. I had a fridge die on me once. Bad memories. Our fridge isn't in the best shape but I am planning on starting to save for a new one.

#16 ·
Mine died a couple of weeks ago and I had no recourse at all except to rent one. I hate doing that I can't really afford the monthly payment, but I only had to pay 20.00 for the first month, maybe between now and the next payment I can find a cheap used one somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.