Do you rule your money, or does it rule you?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Do you rule your money, or does it rule you?

Normally, when I think of this phrase, I think of people who are spenders, who never have the money they need because it is all spent on things they want.

But I was thinking about this last night. Many of us choose to be frugal (for those of us who are frugal out of necessity, this might not make the same sense, becuase you do it becuase you have to), and for those of us who choose to be frugal, which way do you view it.

Do you view it that you have control of your money and you choose not to spend it? Or do you view it that your money still rules you in the fact that you want to get everything in the bank, and not spend any, so much so that you are willing to do things that make life harder?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You know--that's a very interesting question. I choose to be frugal. I think of money often (saving it, investing it, when to splurge with it, retiring with it) so in that way it kinda rules me. Finding bargains--again, it rules over me. BUT doing all of this so that the mortgage can be paid off early, paying our van off--that is us ruling the money--deciding how it will be used. BOY--this answer is rambling, but this question is awesome! I think I need to think some more about it.

Also, I will say this. A few weeks ago, I decided to take an FV break. GASP! I didn't stay away for long, but here's what I noticed. I spent way less money in that time. Maybe because when I'm on here, I am totally focused on money. When I'm not, I'm just keeping myself busy doing other stuff, not thinking about money. Strange. I equated it to kinda like being on a diet and totally focusing on food. What you can have and what you can't have and then just totally going overboard and having an ice cream sundae with a chocolate bar chaser.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I rule my money. I can choose to spend it on things I like, or I can choose to invest it and watch it grow. Either way, I control the money, it doesn't control me.

I enjoy bargain hunting and cutting corners where I can. I also prefer "old ways" of doing things like growing my own veggies, cooking from scratch, making my own H&BA and cleaning products, etc.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have come to the conclusion that money doesn't rule, it actually lives to serve.

If you have a successful budget, and you follow it, you master your money, and your money, in turn, sees you as a good master, and sticks around, and grows happily.

On the other hand, if you don't budget, your money, discontent with your lackluster management, leaves your employ in search of someone who will treat it like it wants to be treated.

So now, I master my money, and I'm finding that my money, in turn, is capable of doing NEAT tricks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I would say I rule my money... I choose to do what I want with it, whether it is saving it or spending it. I have learned to live frugally because I WANT to and not because I need to.

I keep a strict budget and try to save when I can but more often times than not I wind up not being able to save but all my bills are paid and no creditors are calling.

I have also learned that CC's arent my friend when before I thought that I NEEDED to have things but in turn it was a WANT.

I rule my money it does not rule me. Funny thing... they used to say the saying "Money makes the world go round" was not true but it is in some aspects.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Me? I rule my money. But then, I choose to be frugal out a decision, not out of necessity. I could spend more, since we have enough of it, but we have come to the (wise) decision that we would rather spend less, have less debt, and enjoy our money, than being a slave to the credit card companies and our debt.
    Freedom from debt and haveng to "keep up with the Joneses" is a great feeling!!!
    Last edited by IntlMom; 07-21-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I rule my money. I tell it to go into the account until I need it and it waits patiently until then.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In some ways I rule, in some ways it rules.

I chose to spend now but there isn't enough now either. I chose to bargain shop and thrift store shop not only because I like the "thrill of the hunt" but also because we don't have much money.

This is a very good question.

I'm hoping that when our income does increase (either by my business picking up more or DH working or getting disability) that we will be able to rule our $ better and get some into savings. Right now, there just isn't enough to go around.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Great question!

For the most part, we rule our money. We choose our frugality and our standard of living. We have learned to be content with less and feel no compulsion to keep up with anybody. We plan ahead and make it work.

But..... circumstances sometimes rules our money and overrides our best plans. For example, my car developed a major problem yesterday. It has to be fixed. We have the money set aside to take care of it, but I really was not planning on this.

Bottom line: Money does not rule us. We rule it, but circumstances sometimes takes us in a different route. We just try to plan ahead as much as possible.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It is both.

The amount of money I make puts restraints on what I can and cannot do. I cannot go back to school or have more children. I can't really afford another second car after this one is sold. In that sense, it really does rule me.

However, it is mostly a result of the choices my family has made for the short-term. When all goes well, next year should not be as lean as this as this year is not as lean as the year before that. My money will continue to rule me and my family less and less when all continues going well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Overall, I would say we rule our money. While a certain level of frugality is a necessity for us because of living on one income, we could conceivably spend/blow more money on convienances than we do. We simply choose to save our money and pay off our debts for more financial security instead of incurring more debt and getting our wants met immediately.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that money doesn't rule, it actually lives to serve.

If you have a successful budget, and you follow it, you master your money, and your money, in turn, sees you as a good master, and sticks around, and grows happily.

On the other hand, if you don't budget, your money, discontent with your lackluster management, leaves your employ in search of someone who will treat it like it wants to be treated.

So now, I master my money, and I'm finding that my money, in turn, is capable of doing NEAT tricks!

Wow Greebo! That was very well put! You definetely put alot of "food for thought" out there for me. Thanks!

Theresa

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We rule it. We decided to be fugal and live modestly. We aren't rich, but we have money for unexpected events in life, and we live comfortably. I think it just makes since to be frugal. You work really hard for your money, why spend it frivoulesly (sp?) I think we should all be good stewards.
    I can buy what I want at most any time, but I really want for nothing. It makes life a lot less stressful, believe me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a great question!

I'd like to think its a bit of both. Life is about balance and how YOU manage to achieve it to YOUR liking. We choose to be frugal when we're saving up for something - so we'd be in control. But at the same time, we want something so we are forced to save up so then it would control us.

I chose to be frugal while I can b/c once I have lil ones around me, there will be necessities to acquire that I don't need to now. Sure money is meant to be spent and saved and its true, you can't take it to the 'other side' once you die but who says you can't be frugal and still enjoy life?

You chose your path (for the most part) and whatever it crosses...its all about how you cope with it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink

I think I rule it most of the time. Sometimes though, I resent not being able to have what I want so it rules me for a while.

Then I climb back on the wagon.
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019) (Will turn in today 1/3)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $900.00
    My savings: current bal. 10.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2020:
    # 1 New front porch
    Major declutter house
    Major declutter garage

2020 Stash Management
    2020 Frugal Challenge
    2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge
    2020 Meal Planning Challenge
    2020 Grocery Budget Challenge $250.00 monthly