Freedon Account/Sinking Fund
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Freedon Account/Sinking Fund

I am wondering how others fund these accounts?

I know how the books suggest it but what if you don't make enough to do it?

How would YOU do it?

Thanks !
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019) (Will turn in today 1/3)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $900.00
    My savings: current bal. 10.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2020:
    # 1 New front porch
    Major declutter house
    Major declutter garage

2020 Stash Management
    2020 Frugal Challenge
    2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge
    2020 Meal Planning Challenge
    2020 Grocery Budget Challenge $250.00 monthly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

i just started having $25 auto transfered to savings each month. It's not much, but a start, and I really haven't noticed it even though on paper I'm really tapped.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'D start by adding whatever you can and challenge yourself to add a little more each time. I found I had to stretch it when I up'ed my auto draft to my ING account each week. I look at it as a weekly bill. It made for some creative weeks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Even though I am not in a place to do it right now, my goal is to save 10 percent of my take home pay per week BEFORE doing anything else. Right now I am taking 2% of my weekly take home pay and putting it into the savings account. Of course, I am just going to take it out at the end of the month to apply it towards debts, but I am trying to get myself into the habit of saving FIRST. Hopefully by the time my debt is gone I will be up to 10% of my savings and I will be used to automatically saving it that will stick for the rest of my life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I first started mine, I wrote down every non regular expense I could think of (clothing, camping, estimated car repairs or dental expenses, christmas, birthdays etc) and figured how much all the items cost for the year then I divided it by 12 and my number came to $433 per month. So I just count is as another bill and it gets put in my savings.
    HTH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We took the expenses over the course of the year and divided by twelve. then we added that to any big expenditures coming up, and put it in a separate savings account, where we could not access it easily. We tend to forecast our expenditures 6 months into the future, if possible (some things just break down without warning!).

I like to put money aside right when we get paid. It wasn't much at first...maybe a few bucks. I also build it into our budgeting system. DH needs $80 for gas for the car and an average of $80 for repairs a month. So he gets $160 in the transportation budget to cover gas and repairs. If he were a spender (which he isn't), I'd be putting the $80 for repairs in a separate account that was hard to access.

We also buy a lot of our big ticket items used or secondhand. I'm looking at a nice 15 cu. ft. freezer right now that I bought for $75, and a can of Tremclad spray paint ($5.92).

So I guess I attack this situation from two angles: I put aside extra money a month off the top, and I buy used whenever possible.

Jean

Registered User my4littlebuffaloes's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well we put $500 a month into a freedom account to cover those irregular expenses. It isn't enough actually. In the beginning though we figured out what we needed to put in, realized there was no way we could do that, and then put in what we could. We jump started it with a tax return, but then each pay period we would just decide which area needed it the most and put what we could there. It took us over a year before we could fully fund this account each month. It has truly been a life saver though. good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have $50 of my pay direct deposited into a separate account each week.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kris B View Post
    When I first started mine, I wrote down every non regular expense I could think of (clothing, camping, estimated car repairs or dental expenses, christmas, birthdays etc) and figured how much all the items cost for the year then I divided it by 12 and my number came to $433 per month. So I just count is as another bill and it gets put in my savings.
    HTH
    this is what i do, too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wink

This is what both books tell you todo and if I had the money I would.

My question was what people do that CAN"T do this. Using your example, I would have to come up with $433 per month that I don't make. The expenses are still going to come, so I was trying to find a way to work with that and help a little.

I think I am going to try the $25.00 deposit to a savings account until I can get the debt paid off.

To avoid charges on my bank accounts, I deposit $75.00 a month to an account and then have it transferred to a Money Market account. Usually I just transfer it back after it has been transferred and spend it. But I think I will use $50.00 for a monthly investment account and $25.00 for a freedom account and start building both.
    EmilyD

Change/Piggy Bank Jar Challenge (I use it for my clothes allowance)
    All silver change into piggy for 1 year (Oct 2019) (Will turn in today 1/3)
    Household savings account $200.00 monthly, current bal. $900.00
    My savings: current bal. 10.00
    Pay extra on mortgage/loan/auto $50.00 @ monthly

Projects for 2020:
    # 1 New front porch
    Major declutter house
    Major declutter garage

2020 Stash Management
    2020 Frugal Challenge
    2020 House Purge / Declutter Challenge
    2020 Meal Planning Challenge
    2020 Grocery Budget Challenge $250.00 monthly

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dont have money to save either. So what I have done is started a change jar and I also have this little box that I have been putting money in that no one knows about. When I do extra things...like every 3 weeks I cut a ladies hair and she gives me $20....I put that money in the box cause its not money that is budgeted. I sold a few things on kijiji and I put that cash in there as well. I figure this will get me started and is better thatn having nothing at all to fall back on.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I was working I got a pretty nice raise. Instead of spending it I had it transferred to the retirement plan at work. I was already putting into the fund but decided if I put raise amount into the fund also then I would never even realize I was missing anything.

Every little bit counts even if it is 5, 10, 20 dollars a month. Maybe to reward youself for paying off a debt tell yourself each time I pay-off a debt I will add another 5, 10, or 20 dollars to my savings each month. May take a while longer to pay the debt off, but you will be surprised how your thinking changes and you find other ways to save!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When we were getting started (and we still do this) is to round paychecks to the nearest 100$.

So if you get paid 1534.69 on one pay period, you would automatically deposit that 34.69 into your emergency fund and use that 1500$ for bills. It adds up and it's better than nothing.