Town Food Pantry running out of food ..
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unhappy Town Food Pantry running out of food ..

We go to a church in a town different from where we live. This church is home to a food pantry. Every May the post office collects food from houses and delivers it to their town's food pantry. That Sunday, we take the Sunday School kids downstairs in the church to see the huge mound of food, explain what the purpose of the food is, and have the kids help sort food. This year, we took the kids downstairs and there was nothing to see. There was very little food collected and what food there was, was already sorted. It was said that it was less than a 1/3rd of what they normally collected.

Today in church, an announcement was made that the food pantry is out of food. That at their last give out day, they had to limit what they could give each family. I went downstairs and looked around, there was some jello, cereals, ramen noodles, papertowels and that was about it. There is the locked area, but it a small area and thus there couldn't be much there anyway. I had never in 15 years of going to that church seen so little there.

Every time we go to church, we bring food. And since it is the kids' job, I never know what is disappearing from our pantry. And at the annual Postal Carriers Collection Day (not sure if that is a Massachusetts state thing), we always give a bag of food.

What struck me is that there is alot more that can go downhill and thus, if it is this bad now, what will it be like when the unemployment rate is much higher?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry that your food pantry is going thru this. We have had to use our food pantry before and I know how helpful it is for us. I always try to give things when I can and won't take things we won't use. I was planning on taking vegetables from our garden if we had an abundance. Most of our garden drowned this year.

Maybe your church could post something in a local paper about needing supplies for needy families. I know that our food pantry also gets government food - maybe ya'll could check into that too.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's very sad, but it makes sense. Lots of people can't keep up with the price increases, so they are not giving to charity like they used to. I'll admit it, I can't afford it right now. Struggling to maintain my own grocery budget.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree Ms Clear. I haven't been able to make any real kind of donation in quite awhile to anything....I'm too busy just trying to keep my own family afloat.
    Last edited by Missourimom; 09-14-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Registered User PurpleSnowflake's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It's happening everywhere. Plus demand has skyrocketed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My moms group hosted our semi annual rumage sale last weekend and to get in the door we requested a non perishable food item. I was in charge of delivering it to our local food bank. I had one large 30 gallon Rubbermaid tub full and about three other grocery bags. The woman that runs the food bank was almost in tears. She said they are so afraid of running out of food. She said the donations haven't decreased, but the number of people using their service has increased. She's afraid that once the weather turns cooler and people have to pay to heat their homes, their services will be in ever higher demand ~ she's afraid she won't be able to feed all of the families that need them.

I'm going to put a request out to my Moms group to see if there is more we can do to help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Our food pantry has also run out of food several times this year -- I saw a notice in our church bulletin that once again they have maybe a month's worth of food left tops. We also have a church run food cannery and they too are having trouble keeping up with the demand. Things are tight for us but we can (and should) still give so this thread has inspired me that for our family night tomorrow night I will have the kids fill a bag and bring it down to the pantry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is SO sad! We've donated to our church's food pantry several times in the last year...but, with Dh and I both college students now I'm trying to save every last penny...
    Kace - Always pinchin' pennies!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have been thinking of doing a fundraiser for the people affected by Hurricane Ike. Maybe I can do one for our local food bank. I will talk to them. It would give them both supplies (not food, but HBA stuff) and $. They aren't open on Monday, maybe I will check Tues or Wed with them. They wouldn't have to do much except agree to let me use their name and then take the donations.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is so sad!

I saw on an Oprah a few weeks ago about a woman who started helping a local food bank by doing what we typically do for ourselves. She would collect a bunch of coupons and go through the sale ads and get a ton of food for free and donate it to the local food banks (I actually think that she delivered the food to needy people).

Since everyone is tight on their money- the less people are likely to donate (I know I am having some troubles stretching our money I doubt that we will be able to donate as much as I typically do!). Maybe your church can collect coupons, accept a few monetary donations towards the food bank (maybe have a envelope for people to donate a little towards it!), and maybe have the people that run the pantry have a clipping get together and take the donated money to see where you can get the most bang for the buck.

I hope that things turn around!

Master Dollar Stretcher aka DixieBob Dixie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That reminds me that I need to get busy and donate to the local food bank. l use coupons and get free or nearly free items, so that makes the donation relatively painless, financially speaking.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try to donate to a local charity each month. I know both the woman who runs one of the local food pantries as well as the woman who runs the homeless shelter, so I usually donate money to them. I know the pantry likes money donations since they can often buy meat for people then. At school, the PTO tries to do food drives to donate to the pantry as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleSnowflake View Post
    It's happening everywhere. Plus demand has skyrocketed.
    If that collection was back in May, I'm not surprised that there's nothing left, given how people are struggling

Maybe the church can do a drive?

I am looking forward to donating when Kathryn's and Lauren's schools do their food drives. We are doing better than we have in a while (knock on wood), and I like to give extra when I can because I know how hard it can get.