What's the most important thing you got from Amy D's TG?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Question What's the most important thing you got from Amy D's TG?

I think the most important thing for me was a paradigm shift. A movement from thinking of frugality as poverty to thinking of it as a way of life that was not only sustainable, but desirable. It moved me from "YUCK" to "Where there's a will, there's a way". It gave me a healthier view of money and how I could interact with it in a healthier manner.

Anyone else?

jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think I'd agree with you AND the idea that you could do this with creativity/thought and NOT become someone that no one would want to know. (Along the lines of the Witch of Wall St.)

Judi

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think the general concept that frugality can be fun and her attitude towards a frugal life stuck with me the most. Although I use some of the ideas in the book, I've reread it a couple of times for inspiration, not the actual tips.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I find her book inspiring and love the positive attitude to being frugal, then you are not doing without, you are actually doing the better thing. I love the recipes in her book esp granola bars & create a breakfast muffin - use them all the time. All in all it's very inspiring.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think it has got to be the mind set of being frugal. Being creative is a big one. Shop at home before you buy something new. I enjoyed reading TG very much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Another vote for the mindset - it;s such an ecouraging book!
    I am frugal cause I want to be, not cause I have to be - so for me the frual lifestyle is a game that I love to play, she gives great ideas, sugguestions, and tips!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

agreeing with everyone else about the mindset... I've learned to look at things in new ways and never get upset about not being able to afford something expensive; instead I think of all the things I GAIN from not making that purchase and I am so thankful. I guess she talked about her house (with attached barn, lol) so much that I realized that she had decided upon a priority and stuck to it, so now when I buy something I think about my priorities and how the purchase fits into that priority.
    Last edited by elphie; 10-18-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

For me it was how she looks at things and says "what else can I do with this?". I find myself looking at the last bit of stuff in jars or leftovers and wondering - hmmmmm. I try to make things last longer, find new sources for replacement items (salvage stores, etc.) I think the challenge of "Is it really ready to be thrown out" has made the biggest impact on our household.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tigo View Post
    I think the challenge of "Is it really ready to be thrown out" has made the biggest impact on our household.
    that's been really helpful for us too. I realized that my Gram did things the way she did because she lived during a time of scarcity (the Great Depression). She knew how to make things last! And how to reuse things till there wasn't anything left to reuse or recycle. Amazing. I'm going to visit my mother-in-law soon, and she's in her 80s now. She has firm memories of the Depression too. I hope to chat her up about some of the things they did.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

TWG really helped me tune into thinking outside the box, making better use of what I already have, opening my eyes to the resources around me...that kind of thing