What's Frugal About Where You Live?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default What's Frugal About Where You Live?

Different parts of the country offer a variety of frugal living. What is frugal about where you are from?

Here in our part of Missouri, property taxes are very low. We own almost 5 acres and our house is 2500 sq. feet. We live on paved roads and are on public water and sewer. But our taxes only run about $1000 a year. Electricity is cheap here, too. We average about $100 a month for an all electric home. I think gasoline is a little on the high side here. This weekend it was $1.92 a gallon. But it is lower than some other places.

What is frugal about living in your area?
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Interesting question! I live near Denver, Colorado, and here are some of the things that make this choice frugal:

* Childcare, because we live near one set of grandparents. Although I'm a stay-at-home-mom, it's nice not to have to hire a babysitter whenever my husband and I take a night out.

* Car expenses, because we have a need for only one car, living within a mile of my husband's office. Also, a grocery, restaurants, library, medical services, and a large shopping mall are within walking/cycling distance.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The most frugal thing about my area? There is literally tons of free entertainment for families.

There are several huge (a few hundred acres each) parks with hiking/biking trails, flower gardens, playgrounds, etc.

The city recently built a few more hiking nature trails winding through town.

There is always market days down on the square or in the larger park by the river every month from March through October.

Of course there are several lakes within the area along with the river and 20 minutes down the road is the gulf, bays, and beaches all for your own free enjoyment.

There are always street fairs with live bands and such every week during summer that are free.

Movies on the Mound. During the summer at one of the parks they offer old black and white movies being played on a large screen on this huge hill in front of the pond for free. You just bring your own blanket, chairs, drinks and food.

There is also bay days.

Local cultural festivals.

There is several other things that always go on, you can never live here and complain about being bored or not having money to do something. It's all right there for you to take advantage of and 85% is free.

I'll add, the cost of living here is fairly average. The cost of homes is expensive now. Gas is always lower than most states. Property taxes are high. Jobs are abundant and the pay is well. Healthcare costs are expensive. Land....is massively outrageous in price. And your electricity bill in the summer will reach into the hundreds. Those are the downsides. But the local economy remains strong and new businesses are popping up daily really. It all averages out somehow.
    Last edited by TexasPeanut; 03-30-2009 at 12:01 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

we live on the lake, free fish whenever we want
    well water, we did pay for the well, in 4 more years it'll pay for itself, then free water
    septic tank so no sewer bill
    have a little over 3 acres, property taxes are less than 500.00. I think.
    no trash fee, we take it to a collection station, no charge for residents
    all the blackberries and pecans you can eat
    Terry

Jan grocery 129.57/275.00
    Jan coupon 1.00
    YTD grocery
    YTD coupon

New Recipe 1/24
    Items repurposed
    Twenty wishes 0/20

as of 1-11

Personal challenge, 5 A Day
    put away, throw away, give away
    at least 5 items a day

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

the fact that we are sheltered from the 'latest & greatest'... it keeps us from wanting so much (coz most of it we don't know exists and when we finally find out yrs later...the prices have been driven down)....

small town...alot within walking distance (for some of us...although quite a few still think a couple of miles is way too far to walk)....

small streets...small population...safe for us 'moped' riders...(for the most part)....

small town...not alot of choices when it comes to restaurants & 'paid' entertainment....we have to 'make our own'....always cheaper....

everyone knows everyone...so its mostly easy to get a helping hand, borrow something, get quick opinions & options.....lots of 'old-timers' around here from many generations...always 'wanting' to give you their advice....

small town grocery stores...you know everyone that works there coz they 'live on your street'...makes for good deals...easier asking for something....(on the down side can be the price of food on 'name-brands'...but most of us around here don't buy them...store brands work just fine).....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can't say anything is frugal here in New York State. From taxes to gas to groceries to anything it just isn't frugal. At least my house is paid for and one car is paid for so that helps with living on a retirement pension. Missouri sure sounds good to me For His Glory. Saturday our gas was up to $2.08 a gallon and it just might be higher today since I haven't been out today. Stay out of NYS as far as trying to live frugally.

Monner

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have the beaches at the sound, they are free.

Everything else is not frugal, real estate, gas, property taxes, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We live in Missouri, too. There are a lot of free things for our children to do--many state/local parks and historic sites, free library programs, etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We live outside the city limits, so our property taxes are very low. Our state has much lower auto taxes than the other two states we once lived. We are close to everything we need, so gasoline costs are low, and the gas prices are lower since we're near the city, compared to a rural area. Housing costs are affordable compared to the coasts or NY.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I live in Southern Ontario, food is really cheap here compared to the East Coast, gasoline is also cheaper. Housing is extremely expensive but the town we live in is much cheaper than most (only twice as much as back home, instead of 10 times as much).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another Missourian (south central shout out, lol). I think MO is just about one of the lowest cost of living states; I haven't actually done a lot of research on this but just in comparing prices in grocery story and gas stations when we are traveling I am just thankful for our prices. Home prices are also low as are property taxes, as mentioned in the OP. Also in the OP, electricity... I looked into a wind turbine for our house and was told that it wouldn't be economical for us because the price we pay per kwh is so low. Since we live in farm country we also get great deals on meat because we buy directly from the farm. Anything we don't grow in our garden is abundant in someone else's and we usually trade with neighbors. That's another great frugal thing about living in a rural area- most people are willing to barter. We just got a garden tiller that needed minor repairs in exchange for dh patching an elderly neighbors roof (we'll also take her some of the overflow from the garden). She can't garden anymore and the roof would have cost her a bundle... the tiller would have cost $700 new. When looking at all of these factors I honestly don't think we could make it on one income anywhere else.

Also agreeing with the PP about the abundance of state parks and historic sites that are free. We homeschool and do lots of outings and we have a very long list of great places to go that are free or super cheap.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The area I live in is pretty expensive. Gas was $2.25 yesterday.
    You can get pretty good deals on food in my town though since we have three food "salvage" stores.
    And clothing prices are pretty good too, no less than 10 thrift or consignment shops.
    But land taxes are terrible, and housing prices are ludicrously high.

On the plus side..
    My house is within a block of 4 major bus lines, and the city just caved in and finally put in bike lanes on all the main roads. And it's only a 20 minute walk almost anywhere in town anyway. (if it isn't pouring rain)

We're a college town so there's always a million free entertainment things to do. Great bands and concerts in the park, free movies shown on the wall of a local building, sunset walks along the ocean at the park, etc. etc.

We have a full spectrum of restaurants here and they all advertise in the Val-Pak, so you can usually eat out at a reasonable price.

We have an amazing library system (paid for with all those horrible taxes) and they do inter-library loan with the college so there aren't many books, DVDs, etc. that you can't get free if you're just willing to wait long enough.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another Missourian here! (southeast missouri) I live in a town with a pop. of 3500, so getting from point a to point b is very easy on the gas tank. The local grocery store is reasonable, our taxes are cheap compared to other states and I live right outside city limits, so we have well water and a septic...so no water or sewer bills or city taxes.
    We bought our house in 2002 for $45,000. It is a 1200 sq. foot, ranch style, brick home. It would sell for $65,000 now, but that is still cheap compared to alot of areas.

We don't have a theater, golf course, arcade, or any other entertainment that you would have to pay for. So, you either go one town over or stay home and entertain yourself, which is what we do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Monner 1 View Post
    I can't say anything is frugal here in New York State. From taxes to gas to groceries to anything it just isn't frugal. At least my house is paid for and one car is paid for so that helps with living on a retirement pension. Missouri sure sounds good to me For His Glory. Saturday our gas was up to $2.08 a gallon and it just might be higher today since I haven't been out today. Stay out of NYS as far as trying to live frugally.

Monner
    I live in Western NY. I hate to disagree with you but, I think NY is a great place to live. The taxes are high and there are some junky things in our government, however at least where I live:

-the cost of housing is very low. My ILs who live in FL joke that we have 1950s pricing here. You can get a lot of nice houses for under $80,000.

-I live in farming country, so there are a lot of ways that you can live green and frugal. Shopping farmer's markets, for example. Buying local apples, etc. I also have lots of room for my own garden and plants.

-Lots of free groups and free things to do. Lots of interesting and historical things to do.

-Our public schools are really quite good, so there is no need to send your kids to private schools.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Nothing. I live in Connecticut.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast