A sign of hard times... a less hard learned
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default A sign of hard times... a less hard learned

Yesterday dd12 received a gift from her nana, it wasn't the right size, with the receipt in the bag, we headed off to do an exchange. We enter the store, she sees some runners she likes, so we stop before going to customer service to try them on. She set the bag down, tries on the shoes. By the time she switches back to her old shoes, some one had stolen the bag!

She is heartbroken! That was her b'day gift that was stolen. She is a very responsible girl, she doesn't lose things as a rule. It was on her wrist until she tried teh It was taken with in 5 minutes of entering the store. It's horrible that some one would do it to a child. Dh says that this is truly a sign of things to come. The desparation in people is coming out. There are tons and tons of layoffs. Wages are getting lower, and cost of living higher. Les and less people are employed.

We have been blessed so far as I am busy in my business, a consistent income and have a contact list of people waiting to wait for an opening here. Dh is still working, even if it's an abbreviated work week. We have been talking to the kids about not being overly forthcoming with what they have.

For example dd12 has received nearly $300 for her birthday in cash and gift certificates. She knows not to brag about it, so her friends that are on hard times aren't feeling deprived, and so that no one is tempted to steal from her.

Her brother just earned $200 working with his papa, digging trenches in the mud, he thought I'd cash it for him, and then he can go shopping on his own. TOld him not a chance. He's only 14, and if some one were to see in his wallet... risk of being robbed and hurt.

There is so much of it going on. I see it more and more. Kids boots are stolen at school! At swimming, dd9 friend jacket was stolen. It's complete

But times are getting tough.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, that was a hard lesson for your daughter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How awful that someone would take her bag!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

It's really sad that we have to let our children learn we must be ever vigilant from people that would STEAL from us.... I'm sorry for her...

Kids at school used to steal out of meaness but I think now it's something different.

I'm sorry.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My heart goes out to your daughter - it's a lesson that, unfortunately, we all need to be reminded of from time to time. You are doing a great job of teaching your children important values. wish more were like you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

She feels bad. I told her we'd give her the money for the gift. I was right there too, so it's not all her either. And she is reluctant to take our money for it. She's a good girl

I don't know how many times I've set my purse down to try shoes on. Needless to say I'll not be doing that anymore. I'm actually making a messenger style bag for myself so that it can be worn. dd12 already does that, and dd9 is a nap sac style. I'm a little concerned on that one, as it is behind her. So I may make her a messenger style as well.

It is a sad day when it is like this. Within just a few minutes of walking in...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is just horrible. I'm so sorry for your daughter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Oh no, I feel so bad for your daughter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are you sure that a store employee didn't just pick it up thinking it was discarded/ lost item?

Did you have the store pull up the security video?

I can't imagine someone just stealing a random bag in a store without knowing what was actually in it.

Sure, I understand theft of a know item... boots, jacket, whatever, but just a bag with unknow items? Harder to believe, although I know it will happen.

Sorry about the tough lesson learned for your DD.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel bad for your DD. That was a hard lesson.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is a hard lesson for a child to learn.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so sorry to hear this. It seems like you just can't turn your back for a second these days without something like this happening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Did you report it to the store manager? I agree with Denvergirlie, I would ask them to review their security tapes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
    Are you sure that a store employee didn't just pick it up thinking it was discarded/ lost item?

Did you have the store pull up the security video?

I can't imagine someone just stealing a random bag in a store without knowing what was actually in it.

Sure, I understand theft of a know item... boots, jacket, whatever, but just a bag with unknow items? Harder to believe, although I know it will happen.

Sorry about the tough lesson learned for your DD.
    This is a good point. One day while at a service desk at Walmart, I learned that they have a box labeled left bags. And it was full bags of things left behind. The service lady was on the phone with a lady looking for something she left.

Asking if it has been found couldn't hurt.
    Last edited by imagine; 04-06-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is a hard lesson to learn. Dd got her cell phone stolen out of her purse this year, from inside her "shared" band locker. She thought everyone in band was trustworthy, but it just proves you never know, and she was so disappointed in her classmates. Luckily she had a crappy prepaid phone with a number and minutes we could just transfer to a new crappy prepaid phone, leaving the old phone deactivated. She was able to transfer everything for the $10 it took to get the new phone. She's lucky. I'm just glad they didn't take her driver's license etc. (she had no cash or anything else valuable worth taking).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast